HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 06:47 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsflyer View Post
I still have my Q-Tee, built late 70's early 80's. Has flown many many flights. first with .Cox .049 reed valve, then with Cox TD.power. Unfortunately times change and I have converted it to electric power. Fly's absolutely fantastic on a stock GWS 350 gearbox set-up. 8x6 prop, 3S-1500 lipo. Has at least 2x the power of either Cox set-up, and now i have throttle control. Visit my profile if you're interested in a pic.
The Norvel .061 Big Mig pulled my Q-Tee with authority, definitely stronger than a Cox reed valve and it is light. The plane is slightly tail heavy, so I'll need to make some adjustments.

It sounds like your set up is like putting a .10 in it, except it the electric motor doesn't have the weight penalty the .10 would give it. Also you have the advantage of flying it at partial throttle until you wanted to really open it up. Having vertical flight performance changed your Q-Tee from a kitten to a tiger.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
It sounds like your set up is like putting a .10 in it, except it the electric motor doesn't have the weight penalty the .10 would give it.
I don't see electric being any lighter than a corresponding glow set-up. A 350 motor is 46g and the gearbox 63g. So 109g in the front (that's the weight of two cox .049 engines), add the extra battery weight to that and the glow usually wins...

A Norvel .074 would do the job if a .049 is too weak.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:15 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
222 Posts
Back in the 1970s, we would fly Q-Tees with TeeDee .049s up front. Even with full-sized RC gear, they only weighed 18--20 oz. and were very lively. It always amazed us that the Q-Tee's single (and small) wing spar would put up with the stuff we did with those airplanes.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:45 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Ad for the Q-Tee from Airtronics

https://flic.kr/p/ocrS27
aeronca11AC is offline Find More Posts by aeronca11AC
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:17 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
Back in the 1970s, we would fly Q-Tees with TeeDee .049s up front. Even with full-sized RC gear, they only weighed 18--20 oz. and were very lively.
Q-Tee flies on its wing due to its generous wing area, doesn't require much power to fly. As your use of TD's prove, it was very spirited with a little more power than a reed valve .049. I've discovered that with my Norvel .061 with power reduced slightly using a MECOA head adapter and standard glow plug. With a little more power it just made it that more fun.

Quote:
It always amazed us that the Q-Tee's single (and small) wing spar would put up with the stuff we did with those airplanes.
Wing spar is Spruce pine, which made a huge difference. Lee Renaud intended his design to be able to take serious punishment and do stunts, with the generous elevator and rudder surfaces, and streamlined fuselage cross section (it is small area). It's Spruce leading edge helps it to land in brushy areas without serious damage. Even with reduced power using a reed valve engine, one would build up speed through a dive, which allowed for vertical stunts (loops, Immelman turns, Cuban 8's, etc.) Additional power helps with wind penetration. Overall, it is fun sport flier, never dulling even for the experienced.

Hobby Shack's The Real Thing (kit version) is a similar parasol sport plane except upsized. Today IMO with a Schneurle .15 or Enya .19 TV would be a blast.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:43 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
I don't see electric being any lighter than a corresponding glow set-up. A 350 motor is 46g and the gearbox 63g. So 109g in the front (that's the weight of two cox .049 engines), add the extra battery weight to that and the glow usually wins...
Oh, everything is relative. The weight of the battery is offset by the fact that the glow version requires a receiver battery. Going to an outrunner motor eliminates the weight of a gearbox. Instead of an engine servo, electric has an ESC and usually BEC. In either situation, if one carefully selects their power components (lighter weight glow or diesel engine, lightweight outrunner and prop, ESC, reasonable Li-Po capacity, etc.) will have a spirited flier. An older OS Max 10R/C cross scavenge without muffler and with an articulated exhaust baffle for idle weighs 3 ounces (89g), only 3/4 oz more than a Cox .049 Black Widow. That .10 engine turned a Top Flite Schoolmaster from a kitten to a tiger.

It is a matter of matching powerplant to airframe.

Quote:
A Norvel .074 would do the job if a .049 is too weak.
Q-Tee flies on its wing given the generous wing area, so even a Babe Bee or Golden Bee (or even Sure Start) would fly it. A Norvel .074 would certainly do the job.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:50 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
As GallopingGost points out, its using a single battery that makes the electric set up come out lighter. I've replaced all my TD051 set ups with the cheap E-max motors (~Park370 @39g), 20A ESCs and 800mAh or 1300mAh 3S lipos. Total mass of the old glow set up (4xAA size batteries, 2Oz fuel tank etc) was around 200g, while then new one is under 150g. What I possibly lost on endurance I have gained on power (~150W vs 80W) and ease of use. Even with the larger Lipos, its still lighter and endurance is longer. Having throttle is an added bonus. No doubt one could use AAA batteries for the glow set up, but electric is still on par at worst.

However, it was an eye opener for me to see just how light small electrics have become....my Q-Tee's last flight before I quit the hobby (temporarily) was in the late '80's with one of the early electric set ups. Its was the last flight for a good reason...it weighed a ton and did not come close to flying!
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:33 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,265 Posts
Erm a Turnigy 2730 at 24gms produces More power than a geared s400 could manage let alone a TD 051 on 30%
This one at ~35 gms will give a Norvel 074 something to fear.
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eurgle-rc-p...ing-motor.html
We run glo engines cuz we like to.. Not because they are either light or powerful.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Erm a Turnigy 2730 at 24gms produces More power than a geared s400 could manage let alone a TD 051 on 30%. This one at ~35 gms will give a Norvel 074 something to fear. http://www.r2hobbies.com/eurgle-rc-p...ing-motor.html We run glo engines cuz we like to.. Not because they are either light or powerful.
True. Q-Tee is a very versatile airplane and capable even with 049 reed valve power. I used to fly Q-Tee with a Black Widow 049 of the 1970's. It would even fly at 6,500 feet (1,981 m) elevation under reed valve power, because it flies on its wings. A Norvel 061 gives it nice vertical performance, perhaps not what one would get with something hotter, but it does really well with that power.

There really is no sense in overpowering this airplane. Fly it light and fly it well.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:45 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
We run glo engines cuz we like to.. Not because they are either light or powerful.
Given the quality and capability of electric components today, Bare's comments pretty well sum up the current state of affairs WRT small glow engines.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:05 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jun 2004
14 Posts
My Q-Tee from 1977

Here is my version from 1977. At this point it was heavily modified.. and it was heavy too. Flew well in spite of the weight. Kraft radio equipment that weighed as much as the plane.

Lew Heifner
n0kjf is offline Find More Posts by n0kjf
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Color corrected photo of the Qtee

Had to do a little color correction.... love those old 126 style prints, they just don't hold up over the years!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:59 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0kjf View Post
Here is my version from 1977. At this point it was heavily modified.. and it was heavy too. Flew well in spite of the weight. Kraft radio equipment that weighed as much as the plane. Lew Heifner
Wow, and a Cox 290 reed valve engine from a donor CL RTF no less with Goldberg 1/2-A engine mount. Cox 290 was reasonably hot for its day as a reed valve, I have 2. Do you still have it, if not, plan to build one?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:52 PM
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Another color correction photo
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:44 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC View Post
Had to do a little color correction.... love those old 126 style prints, they just don't hold up over the years!
LOL! I thought you might have been flying on Mars. Nice looking Q-Tee.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820