HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 08:35 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Thank you. Does it matter if the new card is 8gb instead of 2?
Nope. I have an 8Gb almost since day one because I lost the original. Works fine.
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:44 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Thank you. Does it matter if the new card is 8gb instead of 2?
I use an 8 gig card as a backup. It works fine. It is overkill as far as space is concerned, but it is so cheap who cares.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Today, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2014
523 Posts
Does the Taranis require an sd card or is that just for expansion?
Conradm is online now Find More Posts by Conradm
Old Today, 08:56 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,936 Posts
The SD card is needed, for things like sounds, aircraft images, lua scripts, backups, etc. It is not absolutely needed to operated the radio, as far as I am aware.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Today, 09:00 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradm View Post
Does the Taranis require an sd card or is that just for expansion?
It works fine without one but you won't have voice alerts, scripts, etc.
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson
Old Today, 09:01 AM
Joined Jul 2014
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
The SD card is needed, for things like sounds, aircraft images, lua scripts, backups, etc. It is not absolutely needed to operated the radio, as far as I am aware.
Sounds like it doesn't come with one?
Old Today, 09:07 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,974 Posts
It does. 2GB
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Today, 09:13 AM
Joined Jul 2014
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
It does. 2GB
Old Today, 09:21 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
I have a full size helicopter licence and flying a quad with joystick and rudder pedals on FPV would feel very natural.
I've been flying FPV since 2002, only fixed wing at first, then added tried 450 helis somewhere around 2007, which were quickly replaced by multirotors when those started appearing simply because they're more convenient than helis in terms of setup, flight characteristics and repairability...

I've done a 30-min full size heli introduction flight a couple of months ago to see what it was like, was really fun and interesting, and now I too want to make myself an FPV "simulator" - but not the kind others have been doing
I've seen several people do that kind of thing with a chair, stick and pedals and just sitting there looking at the RC heli in front of them, and a few doing the same but with an FPV setup. But as far as as I'm aware the RC heli was always a "normal" RC heli i.e. set up as you would usually set one up for normal RC flying.
I never saw the point in that so never showed much interest when seeing guys do it. But now I have some real world experience what I want to do is "really" simulate what's interesting i.e. the flight characteristics. So to make it worthy the aircraft should have no gyro, no Revo mix etc that RC people say you can't do without, and require you to just do the coordination job like on the real thing. That's where it would become both fun and useful.
Obviously that will certainly mean crashes at the beginning, so I'd again use a tough multirotor for that like a 250-size mini H FPV type quad, and set it up to replicate a full size heli's characteristics and reactions. To me it makes much more sense as a simulation, having the right flight behavior on an RC remote is much more of a simulation than the right flight controls on a machine with completely different behavior. Then add the chair/stick/pedals and you've got all of it.

I have all the technical details sorted, just lacking the time to do it right now.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Today at 09:28 AM.
Old Today, 09:48 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,974 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying FPV since 2002, only fixed wing at first, then added tried 450 helis somewhere around 2007,
I remember when you had a video of this little guy, flying it FPV through goggles. 10g plane with a 5g camera.... Can't find that video now. Looks like it got taken down. It was pretty darn cool!

KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Today, 10:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
I've been flying FPV since 2002, only fixed wing at first, then added tried 450 helis somewhere around 2007, which were quickly replaced by multirotors when those started appearing simply because they're more convenient than helis in terms of setup, flight characteristics and repairability...

I've done a 30-min full size heli introduction flight a couple of months ago to see what it was like, was really fun and interesting, and now I too want to make myself an FPV "simulator" - but not the kind others have been doing
I've seen several people do that kind of thing with a chair, stick and pedals and just sitting there looking at the RC heli in front of them, and a few doing the same but with an FPV setup. But as far as as I'm aware the RC heli was always a "normal" RC heli i.e. set up as you would usually set one up for normal RC flying.
I never saw the point in that so never showed much interest when seeing guys do it. But now I have some real world experience what I want to do is "really" simulate what's interesting i.e. the flight characteristics. So to make it worthy the aircraft should have no gyro, no Revo mix etc that RC people say you can't do without, and require you to just do the coordination job like on the real thing. That's where it would become both fun and useful.
Obviously that will certainly mean crashes at the beginning, so I'd again use a tough multirotor for that like a 250-size mini H FPV type quad, and set it up to replicate a full size heli's characteristics and reactions. To me it makes much more sense as a simulation, having the right flight behavior on an RC remote is much more of a simulation than the right flight controls on a machine with completely different behavior. Then add the chair/stick/pedals and you've got all of it.

I have all the technical details sorted, just lacking the time to do it right now.
That is a cool history with FPV flying. I like your thinking too on the "simulator" style of controls for an RC Heli.

I think it would be really tough trying to fly one without a gyro. The only drawback with a sim is that all your feedback is visual and you lack the most essential sense for a real helicopter pilot. Seat of the pants feedback.

As you know, every time you apply power / collective you need to adjust your rudder pedals (the gyro does this for you). In a real helicopter you feel this subtle movement long before you can see any physical change in the heading of the helicopter, and your corrections are in response to this physical sensation.

Doing it all by visual inputs and with no gyro… that would be Hard!.

It would be a ton of fun with a quad though. Just curious are you a WC fan? or is the forum name a coincidence? "Col Blair, report to the briefing room" My all time favourite PC game.
Rob2160 is offline Find More Posts by Rob2160
Old Today, 10:14 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,245 Posts
Sounds a cool project kilrah!
You could water proof the quad and then fly from indoors with an aerial mounted outside!?!?!
That way you sit in the warm dry comfortable simulator chair.
And spy on the neibourhood!

Only joking, that would likely upset your neighbours and get you into trouble.

I don't know if you have much trouble with rain like here in the UK anyway?
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Today, 10:33 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,813 Posts
Quote:
In a real helicopter you feel this subtle movement long before you can see any physical change in heading on the helicopter, and your corrections are responding to this physical sensation.
I don't think it will be much of a problem. It's no different from having to add collective to compensate the loss of lift when tilting the rotor to avoid vertical speed -> altitude changes, and that one is not a problem. The info is there, it just isn't presented in the same form and maybe with a little delay due to seeing the speed rather than feeling the acceleration, but it works well enough.

Like on fixed wing FPV, we can fly with less info than full scale... we have no inertial sensing, no speed / altitude indications etc, yet still "feel" when we're a bit slow through the sloppy response and bigger control orders required, etc...

Anyway that's what I can't wait to try

Quote:
Just curious are you a WC fan? or is the forum name a coincidence? "Col Blair, report to the briefing room" My all time favourite PC game.
Not that much of a fan, but it happens to be one of the first PC games I played (WC3), spent quite a lot of time on it, the need for an internet nickname came around that time, and that's the first thing that came to me as sounding cool and wasn't common. That was about 15 years ago, and even today I only rarely need to append numbers because it's already taken
Last edited by Kilrah; Today at 10:38 AM.
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Joined Sep 2006
4,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
That way you sit in the warm dry comfortable simulator chair.
And spy on the neibourhood!
Only joking, that would likely upset your neighbours and get you into trouble.
I don't know if you have much trouble with rain like here in the UK anyway?
When we're installed here (only just arrived) my workplace will be a large aircraft hangar in the middle of nowhere in the desert with a large tarmac and a grass field. No neighbours and no rain
Old Today, 10:59 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
When we're installed here (only just arrived) my workplace will be a large aircraft hangar in the middle of nowhere in the desert with a large tarmac and a grass field. No neighbours and no rain
That sound like heaven to me!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield