HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:09 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
Discussion
white spinners, prop blades

am looking for white spinners and blades for folding props. any brand.
i think a sailplane would look much better with them.
aeronaut used to sell them. the blades were glass filled. but i can't find them anymore.
and they don't show them in their catalog.
new creations still has some but are discontinuing them. and they don't have the sizes i need anyway.

does any1 know of a source of these-or any other brand in white?
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Mar 27, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:49 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,058 Posts
Does it come in different colours?

Phil,
The spinners are probably the easiest part - I think Aeronaut and Graupner both have them in white.
I bought a set of HiMark 13x9 blades at my local a couple of weeks ago, in a very pale greyish white, and he also has a full folding prop by E-Flite, 14x8, I think - so those brands might be worth a try, unless the names are all different where you live.
Interestingly, the 13x9 blades seem to be plastic, and they draw exactly the same current as a set of CF 12x6.5 blades from HK - my suspicion is that they are twisting and losing pitch under load.
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
Phil,
The spinners are probably the easiest part - I think Aeronaut and Graupner both have them in white.
I bought a set of HiMark 13x9 blades at my local a couple of weeks ago, in a very pale greyish white, and he also has a full folding prop by E-Flite, 14x8, I think - so those brands might be worth a try, unless the names are all different where you live.
Interestingly, the 13x9 blades seem to be plastic, and they draw exactly the same current as a set of CF 12x6.5 blades from HK - my suspicion is that they are twisting and losing pitch under load.
Cheers,
Pete
thank you very much.
spinners: graupner is out of business; aeronaut are very expensive.
blades: could you provide the link for HiMark? i could not find them.
e flite has the white blades oos (the only size in white-too large for me), and don't provide any data; there is another 1 close in size (white spinner, black blades) that has problems, considering the reviews.
regards
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:26 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
SoaringUSA sells them.

Www.soaringusa.com/props

Www.soaringusa.com/spinners..the spinner link doesn't work, but you can get there from the prop link.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
SoaringUSA sells them.

Www.soaringusa.com/props

Www.soaringusa.com/spinners..the spinner link doesn't work, but you can get there from the prop link.
thanks.
blades are all carbon;
spinners, they have some white with a hole at the front, at $35-expensive. i could use them, but if possible would like just the 1s without the hole, but they don't have them.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,608 Posts
what size spinner you need?
Ben

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-propellers.aspx
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Last edited by FASTBEN; Mar 27, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:11 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,959 Posts
I agree that colour-matched props and spinner are very important! I just rub down and spray paint the lot! It's been working for me for years.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
spinners, they have some white with a hole at the front, at $35-expensive. i could use them, but if possible would like just the 1s without the hole, but they don't have them.
Two things with the RFM spinners I like. They have real setscrews,6-32 thread I think, no little tiny ones you can't tighten and strip out first go round. The hole in the front is not a concern as I don't use cooling, but it does make for a bit less of a bullet if, heaven fobid, you hit someone. And they are one piece with no fiddly bits to line up with another tiny screw in front, plus the are light and brilliantly made. True they are not cheap in price but they are not cheaply constructed.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
I'm with Chris. Just find the size and shape you want then spray paint them. After my scare with the faulty plastic props from HK I will only buy name brand blades from here on out and, as you have no doubt noticed, by the time you mix and match cheap blades and spinners to get the proper fit you can end up spending just as much as if you had just gone with the more expensive ones in the first place.

As far as paint is concerned... I have really fallen in love with Rust-oleum "Paint Plus". It has a big "2X" on the can. I have had the best results with the flat white primer with a thin coat of clear gloss over it. It will completely cover any color I've tried, including black and fluorescent orange, in two thin coats.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
unbalance?

the idea sounds good.

no issues with unbalance? that could be my only concern.

regards
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
i was thinking on 38mm, 4mm shaft, 8mm hub, 3mm pin.
and pointed, no hole. seems that the only available is the turbo with the hole.
esprit carries the turbo, and carbon blades.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
The paint can actually work to your advantage. In over 40 years I have yet to purchase a prop that was perfectly balanced. One just adds a little extra paint to the light blade. In fact, I even balanced props for my glow engines by dipping the light blade in paint or epoxy.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
RFM props do not need balancing.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you very much.
spinners: graupner is out of business; aeronaut are very expensive.
blades: could you provide the link for HiMark? i could not find them.
e flite has the white blades oos (the only size in white-too large for me), and don't provide any data; there is another 1 close in size (white spinner, black blades) that has problems, considering the reviews.
regards
The way i see it, graupner is NOT out of business. Graupner does have a new owner though... Just check out the graupner website:
http://www.graupner.de/en/newsdetail...7-6209865d4a03
Black Cloud is online now Find More Posts by Black Cloud
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
The way i see it, graupner is NOT out of business. Graupner does have a new owner though... Just check out the graupner website:
http://www.graupner.de/en/newsdetail...7-6209865d4a03
right. i just went through it.
Closed Thread