HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Don't the sell one of this Orange RX modules that are DSM2/X? My father in law just wants a radio that will last without spending $300+ on a Spektrum or Futaba.
Yes they do. So a 9XR would be what you would want. Or you could get an OrangeRX Spektrum compatible TX or used Spektrum system. The best choice depends on how much you want to spend now, how much future capability do you want, and how much complexity you are willing deal with. A 9xr/9x is the most upgradable. It also has the steepest learning curve with the software.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
9xr Glossy Black

Hi,

my 9xr is still on the way from HK to me. But i made little thougs about the Chrome.. i dont like Plactic Chrome, it looks bad, cheap and

So i take Photoshop and 5min of time.. i think this is where i wanna go.
Try it with Rit Dye if possible (not all chrome parts work) or then remove chrome and repaint.
ripcurl777 is offline Find More Posts by ripcurl777
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:02 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Chrome doesn't look that bad on this radio, its more gunmetal than chrome. In any case I can't see it when I'm flying anyways, so it doesn't bother me.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:41 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Chrome doesn't look that bad on this radio, its more gunmetal than chrome. In any case I can't see it when I'm flying anyways, so it doesn't bother me.
Yeah, it's not as tacky as I thought it would be.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:22 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,037 Posts
i like it

when i got mine i was pleasantly surprised. its style is different, elegant, the finish is sort of satin, and does not look cheap or bad taste to me. the 'chrome' finish is more like sandblasted, with fine grains, so the 'chrome' is not bright. you have to see it in real life.
pictures don't make justice to it.

again, it depends of your personal taste, so i don't want to start arguing about it.

on the other hand, the 9x, that is dark gray, flat finish, looks dull, and lacks originality, so it more like a low price inconspicuous type that does not hide its low price origins-but still delivers way more than any radio of much higher price.

still, is form more important than function?
and you like a radio by the way it 'feels'?
is the style and finish what you are looking for?
of course, we all would like to get a radio that fulfills all our wildest dreams, but, is there anything like that in real life?
could any maker release a radio that pleases all? with all these details-and the lowest price, guarantee and service?

wake up
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
=Wingbreaker

My only beef is the balance connecter, pretty tight to the battery cover. Otherwise this thing is really nice compared to my TH9X, and more than half the price because of the smartieparts board/led.
If your handy with a Dremel cut a price off the pcb board (bottom bit) to sink the socket down into the case giving you more clearance for the balance lead.
dinislam1395 is online now Find More Posts by dinislam1395
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Didn't add the last pic
dinislam1395 is online now Find More Posts by dinislam1395
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2013
87 Posts
Any idea when they will release the 9xr modules? My father in law and I bought the Ares Gamma with a radio so we can wait on buying the 9xr. He wants to get a decent radio before he retires since he'll have much less money.
BlakeL is offline Find More Posts by BlakeL
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:26 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
It be might awhile until they release the specially designed 9XR module since it has already been a couple months. The OrangeRX module is supposed to fit nicely, but the frsky module requires you to bend the pins.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Feb 07, 2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: missing words
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Any idea when they will release the 9xr modules? My father in law and I bought the Ares Gamma with a radio so we can wait on buying the 9xr. He wants to get a decent radio before he retires since he'll have much less money.
FWIW, I really like the FrSky modules. Feature packed and inexpensive at alofthobbies.com. The new(not available yet) 9xR module is only needed to make use of the internal antenna. The currently available modules are fine as is, except for the antenna on the back.
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:30 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
487 Posts
I have the FrSky module and he fit was perfect. No pin bending.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihinch View Post
I have the FrSky module and he fit was perfect. No pin bending.
I second that. It was quite the surprise My th9x was a pain.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:42 PM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
274 Posts
frsky or flysky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
It might awhile until they release the specially designed 9XR module since it has already been a couple months. The OrangeRX module is supposed to fit nicely, but the frsky module requires you to bend the pins.
I had an issue with the FlySky module that required some mods to get it to fit, but I haven't seen/heard of anyone with FrSky problems. They're are often confused with one another because of the name similarity.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Could be worse, could be BRIGHT ORANGE!!!! What were they thinking? It should have been black with a nice Orange label on the front so others can see it's from Orange Rx. Those things are not going to sell well.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:05 PM
USA, MN, Redwood Falls
Joined May 2010
138 Posts
Dont now alot about all the defferent 2.4 so can anyone tell me what frsky is.and what it flys. I have some blade stuff and know the dsm stuff but thats about it.
crashj is offline Find More Posts by crashj