SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
Thanks will3kgt. My birthday is coming up and my wife always gets me something. I'm torn between an EDF jet or upgrading my DX6i transmitter. I went past 10 planes/helis and have been erasing them from the transmitter. The DX8 looks pretty nice other than the price.
oldsneakers is online now Find More Posts by oldsneakers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Old Sneakers - have you considered the Mig 15 from HH (UMX). Great EDF for a first jet. I love mine! Definitely learning that EDF's have different flight characteristics - no propwash over the control surfaces means that a stall is a VERY dangerous situation! Loads of fun though.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers View Post
Thanks will3kgt. My birthday is coming up and my wife always gets me something. I'm torn between an EDF jet or upgrading my DX6i transmitter. I went past 10 planes/helis and have been erasing them from the transmitter. The DX8 looks pretty nice other than the price.
There are many EDFs to choose from for sure, I would strongly suggest a 64mm F-18 or 70mm F-22 as a 1st EDF.
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions. All of those jets look pretty cool. I'll just have to get one of each! Ha
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
466 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. All of those jets look pretty cool. I'll just have to get one of each! Ha
Now you're talkin'!
will3kgt is offline Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
Banana was out of stock of theIr 70mm F22 EDF. So I bought their small 50mm F22 EDF. It's only a 3 channel but at $75, it's a cheap way to try a jet. If I destroy it, not a big deal.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:15 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Banana was out of stock of theIr 70mm F22 EDF. So I bought their small 50mm F22 EDF. It's only a 3 channel but at $75, it's a cheap way to try a jet. If I destroy it, not a big deal.
If you do crash it, replacements can be found here:
www.hobbyb.com
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:41 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
hey guys, i also got a couple of the the P-51 kits. i got everything covered but the motor & mounting ! anybody got any pics of the motor mounted on the cowl ? so i can get an idea of what motor i need to get

thanks KC
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
I don't have the mustang but I think the motor is the same as the corsair. This is what the front of the corsair motor looks like. Two screws go thru the front of the cowling and attach and center the motor.

Thanks Joe1320 for the F22 link. I'll check them out.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:43 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
Quote:
I don't have the mustang but I think the motor is the same as the corsair. This is what the front of the corsair motor looks like. Two screws go thru the front of the cowling and attach and center the motor.

Thanks Joe1320 for the F22 link. I'll check them out.
thanks man, that's what i needed to see !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Hey guys. I got the 550mm corsair. I read all the posts about using 3s but I didn't have one that would fit and eager to try the plane. Wind was blowing 15mph haha. I knew I'd crash it but I honestly wasn't worries about it. Nothing some glue can't fix.

I took it out. Gear broke first try. No big deal I ripped them off. Then I had tossed it into the wind. Flew great. I had DR at 30 and expo at 20. I flew it around for 3 minutes. Unintentionally did loops and barrel rolls. Then I turned it around to go back into the headwind and just as you guys said it dropped out of the Sky. Broke the nose which I'm not worried about. This plane was to experiment with before I flew my Durafly 1100mm Corsair. I figured if I could fly this in 15mph wind the bigger one with no wind would be easier.

It's a fun plane. Next time I'll shove a 3s in it.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:21 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
I fly my mustang at the slope all the time. How the heck does this airplane just drop out of the sky? I am a little lost on that one.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
I fly my mustang at the slope all the time. How the heck does this airplane just drop out of the sky? I am a little lost on that one.
I have no idea. It kept wanting to invert at every turn I made. Maybe it's my inexperience I don't know. One guy on this thread said his kept wanting to invert because of the horizontal stab. He said once he fixed that it stopped.

My horizontal stab has a slight downward U shape. It's not flat.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Last edited by Babadush; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
When I give the Mustang too much rudder it will invert. I noticed that on the Mustang I had to turn the movement of the control surfaces down a whole lot. Otherwise it makes the airplane very unhappy.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:26 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Two things may be causing this:
1) This plane is fast, and VERY twitchy. If you have expo on your transmitter, TURN IT UP!
2) I discovered w/ my corsair that the two halves of the elevator had a lot of play in them because they were not directly connected. The plastic piece that held them wasn't rigid enough, so the elevator with the control horn moved much more (under pressure) than the one without it. I braced it several ways, but never got it to a point that it was perfect. The result was that when I was either at high speed or used heavy amounts of elevator, the plane would roll and then head south. Additional attempts - via elevator - to recover only increased this roll as the vertical speed increased.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings