HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
MN WATTS Master
Vintauri's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
Just thinkin but some real good SFG prototypes could be made out of regular playing cards in about a half hour. Maybe use the jokers out of the deck?

Ron
Not a bad idea. I actually like to draw them up in CAD and then cut sample pieces out of cheap foam board on the CNC. Been working a line on a laser cutter but it's slow since I'm trying to be cheap about it!

On another topic I took my Yak out for some flying tonight but my Castle ESC decided it wanted to go into thermal shutdown on me. I was able to land with servo control but didn't have power to get back to the field. one of the landing gear legs were stressed and it de-laminated some of the carbon. I'm going to reglue and wrap it. But I'll want to get a replacement soon if possible. Bummer as I had about 6 packs ready to fly back to back.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
It would not be hard to do them. In fact they would be easier as you would not have to worry about the fit of the tabs just the alignment of the mounting holes. Maybe I'll try to make a set for my 72" Extra SC and see how they go.

Steve
Awesome! Me and my flying buddy would be very interested, keep me posted!
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
Not a bad idea. I actually like to draw them up in CAD and then cut sample pieces out of cheap foam board on the CNC. Been working a line on a laser cutter but it's slow since I'm trying to be cheap about it!

On another topic I took my Yak out for some flying tonight but my Castle ESC decided it wanted to go into thermal shutdown on me. I was able to land with servo control but didn't have power to get back to the field. one of the landing gear legs were stressed and it de-laminated some of the carbon. I'm going to reglue and wrap it. But I'll want to get a replacement soon if possible. Bummer as I had about 6 packs ready to fly back to back.

Steve
Condolences
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
Fighting Gravity
bonnie9496's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
New landing gear arrived so can get airbourne again.

Great customer support from ADC Hobby Shop, without fuss getting replacement landing gear to Australia, replacing incorrect ones supplied in kit.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
New landing gear arrived so can get airbourne again.

Great customer support from ADC Hobby Shop, without fuss getting replacement landing gear to Australia, replacing incorrect ones supplied in kit.
+1 on the adc awesomeness!
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,012 Posts
Swapped out the motrofly Dm2815-1000 that was on my Yak when I bought it for the ol' reliable O130 spinnin a 14x7.

New experience. Gave up some speed for floatiness. Still managed to stall and dip a wing. Took 20' of height to get her going again.

I'm still learning this airframe. Thank the gods for altitude.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Flew the Yak over at Anthony D's field in Wheeling, WV. Saturday and soon as I took off went into fast rollers and somehow came out wrong on the exit, non-standard exit for me.

Recovered and went into a hover and got blown right into a small tree at 18 feet! Did not think I was even close to the tree line. Forgot and had my wrong sunglasses on and they are bad for depth perception.

Hung it by the Xoar 14x7 prop that got abruptly shortened equally on both ends. We got a sectional pole, military surplus and rigged with packing tape another small aluminum tube to the top of it forming a Vee.

Anthony went right up under the wing since it was hanging vertical and lifted it straight up and out of the tree. Took sections off the bottom of the pole and lowered it over to me .

No covering tears, couple small dings. Broken Xoar and fried Elevator 65MG.

Tonight I found my spare 65MG, installed it, stuck a Xoar 13x6.5 on it and flew 5 packs of high speed tumbling and PopTops!

Really enjoy it the most on the 13x6.5 with the Motrolfly 2815-950. Great for smooth lines going really fast.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
flew my yak yesterday, im running 3s, did a blender and the canopy ejected, but it did more then eject, it practically shredded itself, that was a first for me, never seen a canopy break in the air, i have seen them eject, but not break......wierd
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
ride hard and fly low
H.D.'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
flew my yak yesterday, im running 3s, did a blender and the canopy ejected, but it did more then eject, it practically shredded itself, that was a first for me, never seen a canopy break in the air, i have seen them eject, but not break......wierd
It was cool (I seen that). It just couldn't make it through the keithy torture test.
R.I.P. yak canopy.

FLMF
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
It was cool (I seen that). It just couldn't make it through the keithy torture test.
R.I.P. yak canopy.

FLMF
Its gonna cost me 20 big ones, but at least you can buy one, I would be scared to blender it on 4s.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
ride hard and fly low
H.D.'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
Its gonna cost me 20 big ones, but at least you can buy one, I would be scared to blender it on 4s.
I think you should add some Sharpie fiber before you put her into a blender.

FSFMF
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
I think you should add some Sharpie fiber before you put her into a blender.

FSFMF
ahhh, your onto something, reinforce the new canopy with sharpie fiber, perhaps it may work.......
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,012 Posts
Traded straight across my mint Yak for a mint 48" Super Viper.

Can't fly either one as intended, but I'm working hard on learnin.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
Traded straight across my mint Yak for a mint 48" Super Viper.

Can't fly either one as intended, but I'm working hard on learnin.

Ron
lol, would you guys consider trading this plane for an extreme flight mxs?
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
ride hard and fly low
H.D.'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
lol, would you guys consider trading this plane for an extreme flight mxs?
I would trade mine for a stick of gum.

F3DHSMF
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion yak 55 M where sells this one ???? maikrotex 3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes 1 Nov 07, 2010 09:23 AM
Found z RC4RS Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 15, 2010 11:09 AM
Build Log Got parts from Hobby Lobby Yak 55, lets build a full fuse Yak 55 Lampatex Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 16 Jun 13, 2007 10:50 AM