Old Feb 16, 2016, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,627 Posts
Discussion
Maiden Flight of my V-angina

My wife made me a Valentine's airplane. Got it finished enough to fly today.
Vtail KFm3 RC foamie (1 min 0 sec)
I had the controls on high rate.

She chose a Flite Test Slinger as basis. She didn't like the fact that it was built with foamboard with the paper on it, asked me about it, I suggested that she use a KFm3 wing that I used as the initial wing for my high wing flaperon plane. (I had increased the motor so much on that that I had to redesign the wing to bring the center of lift forward.)

Being as how it was for Valentine's day I suggested a V tail.

When it was done you can see the fuselage of the slinger, but it has it's own unique appearance.

It has a 36" wing, 306 square inches. AUW is 1lb 4oz. I have a 95 gram motor and a big paddle blade prop. At max it draws 19 amps on 3s.
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2016, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by planebreaker2000
Joined Feb 2015
70 Posts
Good looking plane guys
planebreaker2000 is online now Find More Posts by planebreaker2000
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:59 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1,627 Posts
Was flying it tonight after a power upgrade. Nice steady and smooth. I tried a couple of rudder stall turns and noticed that it was not doing them. After landing I noticed that motion was correct, Both ruddervators go up with pulling back, when giving right rudder both go to the right. In flight, careful observation showed that they were rolling the plane like ailerons except that right rudder would roll it left. Using bank and yank the plane handled fine. No hint of directional instability. As a trial I set it up with reverse rudders and the plane would bank nicely with rudders and elevator controls.

I like flying it except for this quirk. I may set it up electronically so that only the up v-tail element in a turn turns the plane.

The input power to weight is over 200 watts/pound.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
5,393 Posts
How cool is that, getting the wife to make aeroplanes for you. Wow! Lucky man.....
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
Old Jun 19, 2016, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
How cool is that, getting the wife to make aeroplanes for you. Wow! Lucky man.....
I'm surprised it isn't a control line model

There are usually strings attached

Ray.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 19, 2016, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by failboat
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I'm surprised it isn't a control line model

There are usually strings attached

That was genuinely funny!!!!
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jun 19, 2016, 09:28 AM
Joined Dec 2014
1,627 Posts
Doesn't your wife build you planes? She has 8 or 9 herself.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Joined Dec 2006
1,336 Posts
Dave....

You've got a great partner there. You are a very lucky man.

~ Dick
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jun 19, 2016, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Whiskers
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
5,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy View Post
Doesn't your wife build you planes? She has 8 or 9 herself.
And we need to see some role reversal where she is on the sticks and you are shooting the video.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 19, 2016, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by wadaduga
Build-Fly-Crash-Repeat
Joined Jan 2015
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
And we need to see some role reversal where she is on the sticks and you are shooting the video.
As soon as I stop being nervous about being filmed and stop putting my Nut Balls into trees he will have permission to film me.

In all seriousness I'm just good enough to get myself into trouble that I need him to get me out of. So I need him hands free in case he needs to take over and bale my backside out of trouble when I fly. Although last night I did launch, fly and land my Old Fogey wannabee without help and without landing it in a tree so I am getting there. He says I greased the landing.

My poor Nut Ball is in a tree in the high canopy somewhere in our timber where it will stay more than likely until fall when we can hopefully find and rescue it.

What's funny is that we are starting to name trails in our timber after planes that we loose there and eventually find near the trails lodged 50+ feet up in old growth hickory or oak trees.

Thank goodness we heat with wood or I'd feel pretty guilty about murdering all those innocent trees.
wadaduga is offline Find More Posts by wadaduga
Old Jun 19, 2016, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1,627 Posts
Please mention that I am the nutball maker in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadaduga View Post
As soon as I stop being nervous about being filmed and stop putting my Nut Balls into trees he will have permission to film me.
My poor Nut Ball is in a tree in the high canopy somewhere in our timber where it will stay more than likely until fall when we can hopefully find and rescue it.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
5,393 Posts
I have been lucky with trees . I have 40 acres of them and a lot are over 100 ft tall. Luckily I have recovered all my planes so far. I have been treed at my mates place several times as well but once again managed to recover them.
I am playing it more cautious now and don't take any chances but somehow, something just seems to happen and that is where I end up. Luckily the Nutball is quite flexible as it has been recovered several times. I have had to throw ropes up and wiggle the trees with my tractor at times. Only once was a chainsaw required.

Me and my flying buddy (learner) John with Nutballs.

Nutballs (0 min 57 sec)
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jun 19, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1,627 Posts
It is enthusiasm that counts, right.

Last year at this time I was lucky to land my planes GC. By next year my wife (and partner) will have few incidences. Our pasture was overgrown with scrub trees I am mowing about 5 acres and leaving rest for the Amish to cut hay.

Becky's last nutball was made from black foam. She called it 'blackball'. Made it difficult to see in the woods.

I'm not a very cautious flier, have been known to launch in 20mph wind. The game there is to keep it going up wind 90% of the time. Kind of like slope gliding in some respects.

Does anyone have an answer for the question I posed about Adverse Roll?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Whiskers
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
5,252 Posts
Any conventional rudder acting above the center line, as most of 'em are, will introduce an adverse-roll force when deployed. I have no idea why it's not more noticeable most of the time.
It's worth noting however that the indoor aerobatic magicians go for rudders that have symmetrical area distribution.
I guess the v tail you have, with its longish span, exerts more of this force than the normal rudder setup.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 20, 2016, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by wadaduga
Build-Fly-Crash-Repeat
Joined Jan 2015
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy View Post
Please mention that I am the nutball maker in the family.
Consider it mentioned, my dear.

Actually our nutball assembly line has come to resemble Dr Frankenstein's laboratory. These little devils seem to take on a personality all their own and the truth of the matter is that I was VERY upset when my Blackball wound up in a tree. Granted, it was my own error, but I really enjoyed flying that little what ever you want to call it. Calling it an aircraft doesn't seem quite right for some reason.

Let it be known also that my husband immediately took one of his newer nutball creations and modified it for me so I could fly it.

I couldn't do this without his help and support.
wadaduga is offline Find More Posts by wadaduga