Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 20, 2016, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Irv Lewes DE
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
Help!
Application of 2 part epoxy

I am using Z-Poxy to finish my boat hull. I mixed denatured Alcohol with the mix about 50/50 to form a watery mix. I applied with a throw away bristle brush. The result is a ripple like finish.Is this the expected result? A second coat did not improve things even after a light sanding . Suggestions? Irv Delaware
Irv Lewes DE is offline Find More Posts by Irv Lewes DE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,705 Posts
Learn to love sanding.

Btw, the alcohol weakens your epoxy and delays the cure.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,691 Posts
IRV-I have been using Z-Poxy for about the better part of 25 years, with very good results. The main thing when using epoxy is to make sure of two very important things, temperature, and making sure that the two equal parts of the epoxy are is thoroughly mixed. Also when tinning out the epoxy to use as a penetrating resin, make sure to mix the epoxy thru first before adding the thinning agent be it alcohol or Xyelene ( what I use).

I only use the thinned epoxy on the first coat over the bare wood with following coats mixed and used full strength. Also when I start the buildup of the epoxy finish, I only mix and apply epoxy one side at a time, allowing the epoxy to flow out and self level with the surface laying horizontal. I course sand with 120 grit paper between coats of the buildup for about 4 or five complete coats of epoxy.
Hope this helps.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 22, 2016, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Appowner
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2014
733 Posts
What is the normal set time of the epoxy you're using? I suspect it is 30 minutes or less. So even when thinned, it doesn't have the time to properly flow out. Hence, your ripples.

Get some proper finishing resin at your local craft store. Something that takes hours to set so it can flow out and soak in properly.

I use this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-.../dp/B000LNS9CW

Mainly because my local Michaels carries it. But I have come to really like it for glass work.

And keep in mind, gravity WILL make this stuff head for the floor given the chance. And it will do so for a couple of hours so keep an eye on it.

I typically do two coats. The first is to glue the glass to the hull. The second is a filler coat to fill the glass weave. Sometimes I'll add micro balloons to the second coat. Light sanding between coats with a finish sanding after the second coat. I give each coat 24 hours to set but it's better if you can let the second coat set for a few days. But ripples don't exist and sanding is minimal. However, a power sander is a must. I've never seen an epoxy as tough as this stuff is.
Appowner is offline Find More Posts by Appowner
Last edited by Appowner; Jan 22, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:14 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,705 Posts
Getting the epoxy warm (by setting the hull in a greenhouse, or pointing an electric heater/fan at it, NOT by pre-warming the epoxy) will help it even out, and can take it to full cure in half the time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,516 Posts
Z-Poxy Finishing Resin?
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:57 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,705 Posts
Yes. Not to be confused with Z-poxy's epoxy glues.

Great for general glass work, but I'm not sure about its clarity for mahogany work...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
447 Posts
Rich and Pat,

When You thin Z-Poxy Finishing Resin and/or West Systems, what do You use to thin it?? Denatured Alcohol or ?? Is anyone brand (of thinner) better than another?

What ratio??

Do You just thin Your first coat, over the fiberglass?

What about when you coat the inside of Your Hull(s)??

Thank You
Tug Hercules is offline Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:51 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,705 Posts
I DON'T thin epoxy.
But of course, opinions vary, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post24072937

West Systems recommends AGAINST thinning. See the link for their docs describing why.

Thinned or not, epoxy does NOT penetrate wood (unless it's all punky and dry rotted); it sticks to the outside of wood cells/fibers.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by CG Bob
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,285 Posts
I prefer BSI (Bob Smith Industries) Finish Cure epoxy. After brushing the epoxy on, I use a cheap 4" wide trim roller to smooth the surface.

The old Midwest 47' USCG Lifeboat kit recommended using a roll of toilet paper to smooth the epoxy surface,
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jan 23, 2016, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by werlec
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
411 Posts
Irv Lewes DE-

- I assume you are in Lewes DE - so am I. Where do you sail/run you boats? I've not met anyone here that does model boats. I sail & run my boats in the storm water management pond behind my house. I have a CC Barrelback, an RG65 sail boat, a "J" boat sailboat, a Pursuit FE and am working on a Dumas CC Racing Runabout. Some pix below.

Appowner - I too am a fan of Envirotex Lite!(I also buy it at Michaels or JoAnnes with their 50% coupons). I've used it on all three of the wooden boats I've built. I'm very please with the results. Do you use cloth with it. I haven't used cloth on any of my previous boats but I think I might have to on the CC Runabout as I've seen postings that the sintra material use on the hull has a tendency to split at the seams.

All of the boats except the Pursuit have an Envirotex Lite finish.
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Jan 23, 2016, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Jim409
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
300 Posts
Nice boats Werlec....
It so happens I too am having trouble with my z-poxy Finishing resin.
The last few days I have been trying to get a couple strips of Mahogany to take a Z-Poxy finish.
Lucky for me the larger Mahogany parts look perfect to me.
These three strips have "holes" where the epoxy has gone around like oil places.
I have sanded them off twice and it still happens......so
This morning I sanded the Mahogany off level again and wiped the pieces off with some paint lacour thinner I have. It let it dry for a couple minutes and recoated with unthinned Z-Poxy and....success....no repelling of the epoxy. A glass surface.

That tells me some....not all Mahogany has some "pitch" or oil left in the wood....maybe?
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Jan 23, 2016, 03:27 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,705 Posts
I bet you used an oil based stain...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,516 Posts
I let the bottles of Z-Poxy Finishing Resin sit in the sun for a few minutes before mixing 50/50.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Jan 24, 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Jim409
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409 View Post
Nice boats Werlec....
It so happens I too am having trouble with my z-poxy Finishing resin.
The last few days I have been trying to get a couple strips of Mahogany to take a Z-Poxy finish.
Lucky for me the larger Mahogany parts look perfect to me.
These three strips have "holes" where the epoxy has gone around like oil places.
I have sanded them off twice and it still happens......so
This morning I sanded the Mahogany off level again and wiped the pieces off with some paint lacour thinner I have. It let it dry for a couple minutes and recoated with unthinned Z-Poxy and....success....no repelling of the epoxy. A glass surface.

That tells me some....not all Mahogany has some "pitch" or oil left in the wood....maybe?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
No stain at all....just on well sanded bare Mahogany.
I find the darker Mahogany will take Z-Poxy with no problem.
The lighter Mahogany (that people want to stain) has some type of oil in the wood.
The wipe down with paint thinner helped with the one piece I tried.
Jim
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409