Old Jan 24, 2016, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by bdoxey
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Nov 2013
49 Posts
Discussion
RPG and Tempest

Hi all,

I've recently gotten an RPG flying....what a kick! All this autogyro stuff is way too fun. I have flown fixed wing for years and am usually a very slow builder, sometimes taking a year or more for a plane.

I have built and flown 3 autogyros this year with another almost finished. And now I want another one!

I really want a Tempest. I understand (??) this is basically a 50% enlarged RPG. I'm looking for a 3 blade head version initially.

Are there plans available for this?

Bryan
bdoxey is offline Find More Posts by bdoxey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by SafeLandings
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
5,188 Posts
Bryan,

I never drew up the Tempest but its just a straight forward scale up 1.5 times. I still have the prototype so any questions regarding it please just ask.
For your info it originally flew on a 3 bladed head taken off my DAG-GT, these have a span of 75" and it flew extremely well. Somewhere I have got a video of these first flights, if I can find I will post.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jan 25, 2016, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2013
49 Posts
Thanks Rich.

Kudos on the RPG! It is a kick to fly and between it and my DAG R1 several of my club members are considering autogyros. One friend has a DAG R1 ready to fly hopefully this weekend and is ordering plans for the RPG today. He wants me to do his maiden flight as I am the "top autogyro pilot" (ummm....the only autogyro pilot....shhhhh) in our club.

As far as blowing up the plans, does anyone know where to get this done in the US? I have heard that Kinko's and the like have issues with blowing up plans that are copyrighted, which is the case with the RPG plans.

I have a DAG 60 nearly completed so I have all the info to make the blades and head for the Tempest.

Thanks for your input as always, Rich. After I get the plans created I will hit you up for recommended power info and such.

Bryan
Old Jan 27, 2016, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2013
49 Posts
Well I got excited and tried just scaling up by hand. As most of the parts are straight lines with some simple curves it seems quite doable. I made the F2 former as a trial and it was easy enough that I will do the whole job this way.

So now that I have officially started, what is a good size motor/prop/battery combination for the Tempest?

I will be using the 3 blade head as used on the DAG 60.

Thanks all,

Bryan