Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by MrSatoV
BULLIT Drones
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokohama
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Discussion
The new RCTimer Indy 250 FPV Racing Quadcopter FOV127/160

Ordered this puppy today. Review forthcoming! Did you get one? Chime in!

http://goo.gl/tbWp2v

NOTE: Some of you probably will know that in the Indy Plus thread I started there has been much discussion about the lack of parts availability. In the highlights list on rctimer.com (linked above) it says "full parts support". So far I've only found the FVP parts, but let's hope this statement means we can buy things like ARMS!

OK, so, which do you want first, the good news or the bad news? Good news you say? OK.

When you get it all sorted, it flies TOTALLY BITCHIN! The ESCs are fabulous, easy to flash, and support of OneShot125 and damped light is totally rad. The motors have a $h!t ton of power, and it comes with 6" props! For whatever reason, the default settings after the vehicle wizard made the thing reaaaaally stable and quite responsive. I haven't been able to take it to the field yet (weather), but in the hover test I did it really made me want to just take off. Can't wait!

It's good that it's all together. It comes with the standoffs installed, and the skids just in the box - where I left them. It's great this way. Having the vTX and camera already installed seems great. The vTX is a good one, as some of us have them already and it's a performer. It's not permanently installed or integrated, so you CAN replace it easily if you wanted. It's a good antenna too.

Now that bad. It's not very bad at all. As with any RC aircraft, check all of the screws to make sure they're tight. A couple of the standoffs were pretty loose.

I did try to just add my RX, hook up a battery, and fly it, but... as expected, that didn't work. The FC would not arm. I tried via PWM and PPM. So... as with the Plus, I connected to GCS, which was a PITA because getting to the USB port on the FC is near impossible given it's position. On the Plus I could just pass the cable through the back since the ESCs were low profile. Now they're totally blocking passage. Eventually I'll probably either turn the board 90 deg. or put in an angled mini to micro usb adapter and leave it there. XD
I had trouble getting GCS to talk to the board at first, not sure why. It did complain about version conflict. If I had to guess I'd say it had 15.02 on it, instead 15.02.02 like I have. I did try it in CleanFlight and BaseFlight configurators, but those didn't see it at all. So, at some point, I just picked the wizard and chose to flash and erase and it just worked. So you probably won't have the trouble I did, but you WILL have to flash it most likely.
Ran through the wizard, and during the ESC timing check and motor idle part, the motors were all different sounding, with different start points - more than usual. A lot of stuttering problems on two of them - 1 and 3 (left side). I chose default settings resulting from the wizard and did the TX wizard. Changed some settings like putting rattitude and cruise control modes on #2 and full rate/manual on #3 flight modes. Then I put it on the bench and tested. Sure enough, it was obvious the motor differences (or actually ESCs). Here's what I saw:
half damped light (0 min 14 sec)

So I took out the screws on top of the arms, pulled out the ESC servo plugs, connected them to BLHeli. What I found was that there was 3 different configs out of 4 ESCs. The right two had damped light enabled and the left two didn't. No biggie, since I was already there. So I took the best config (motor that sounded the best, and turns out had damped light on, which I want), saved it to a file, and flashed it to the rest of the ESCs so they matched. Here's the result:
all damped light (0 min 16 sec)

Totally bishen!
Tried connecting to the FPV stream and found it to be in black and white. o.O Huh? How's that even possible? Well, it was dark in there, so maybe... but nah, I took it outside for the hover test and this was the resulting video:
RCTimer Indy 250 FOV127 First test flight (3 min 27 sec)

Now, as far as the stuttering goes, I'm not sure if that was my receiving end or what. I totally could have been because I set it to 8mb/s stream 1080p. Totally unnecessary. This is on a nexus 10 tablet, btw. I use a kind of weird fpv setup. I wiped my table recently and lost my settings for the app I use to view, and the app I use to record the stream. It does work great when setup properly. I'll go through some troubleshooting, get the right settings on the tablet again, and do another test.
I have an HD Action Cam on it, but forgot to take the lens cap off. ROFL What a maroon. So I got black video, and good audio. :-\ Kind of a rushed and kind fail attempt to record the first flight test. Oh well. I didn't set up the tripod and external cam this time either, like I usually do. Oh, and in the fpv stream video, the sound recorded was from the tablet's mic, not on the quad. That's why there's a delay. Throttle response is f'n excellent.
So without further ado, here's some photos. First are from unboxing, then after tuning. If this isn't enough, let me know. I have more. ROFL
MrSatoV is offline Find More Posts by MrSatoV
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MrSatoV; Jul 02, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by Lob0426
United States, CA, Susanville
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
That looks like a good kit.

I bought the Camera System (127) for the newer version. I will install it on the Indy 250 plus.

Looking forward to seeing a flight review of the new one!
Lob0426 is online now Find More Posts by Lob0426
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:39 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Haha, me too! Tracking has it in Tokyo in customs currently... That's about an hour from here. But, customs.... :-/ maybe Monday. It is Saturday here right now.
UPDATE: the package has cleared customs. XD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MrSatoV; Jun 27, 2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
I won't know until it shows up at the door. LOL
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:24 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Mine has cleared customs, so I'm pretty sure I'll get it tomorrow. Wooohoooo!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Release of my racing frame!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 05:29 AM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
It came today... have much to say... but will have to wait until tomorrowwwwww... sorry.
I can tell you that it was certainly worth the wait from what it looks like so far!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2015, 05:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Alright MrSato where are the darn pictures already!

LOL
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:17 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob0426 View Post
Alright MrSato where are the darn pictures already!

LOL
OK, OK! Geeze! LOL
Writing now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:58 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Changes/mods

First photo:
I didn't like the way the antenna was putting pressure on the vTX, so I changed the position to fix. Had to strap with wire tie to keep it from falling out then.

Second photo:
Tucked the ESCs into the frame and used a wire tie to keep it from coming back out. No real pressure anywhere. More aerodynamic this way. Who wants air brakes?

Third photo:
My make-shift RX "mount". Ugly, don't like it, looking for a better solution. Keeps it tucked away though, and at close to 90 degrees from each other.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:59 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSato View Post
OK, OK! Geeze! LOL
Writing now.
Check first post. I edited it and put in the photos and stuffs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2015, 07:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
The ESC's are better mounted flush rather than vertical as they were. I like LTMNO's solution, but you do not have a 3D printer. I like his front bumper/camera mount also.

(I just noticed ESC are still vertical but inside the frame more now)

Thanks for the pics. Mostly the same as the Indy 250 plus, except the skid plate(fiberglass?). Well and the larger motors.

You were getting some "jello" on your video. the new mounting might be too rigid. I will have to see if my Camera has that, if it ever gets here! I can already think of a couple of solutions. Like enlarge the mounting holes and use something to isolate the camera.

The Black and White might be a loose connector or wire. At least it showed a picture to fly.
Last edited by Lob0426; Jul 04, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by powerjosl
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
anyone got an idea if there would be an easy way to adjust the angle of the camera on this thing?
powerjosl is offline Find More Posts by powerjosl
Old Jul 13, 2015, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
123 Posts
This weekend I finally got a chance to take a good look at the Indy250 FPV that arrived a week earlier. Man, I am impressed with this quad. I love the integrated PCB and lack of wiring. It's super cool looking and really well designed. Comparing it to the Tarot 250, RcTimer made some great design improvements. It started out as a clone, but now it is it's own thing. So many things are right about this craft that it's easy to start a list of "fine-tuning" improvements to the design. MrSato, this basic concept might be a great starting place for your personal designs.

Two immediate "improvements" I would do is (1) use a thicker carbon fibre or multi-ply material (carbon+glass+carbon) to improve the strength. Not that it's weak now, but there is thicker material available and added strength is usually a good thing. (2) make the front and rear arms the same part. I'm predicting that I will be breaking either the front or rear more than the other. It would be nice if they were interchangeable. I honestly don't see why it could not have been a symmetrical design.

If RCtimer would make every part available, this quad, as is, could be and should be VERY popular. I'm super glad arms are already available, but this frame won't catch on unless all the parts are available.
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Jul 13, 2015, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
123 Posts
FYI, I checked the ESCs that came with mine and they all had matching settings and firmware (latest/greatest/damped light). The CC3D was also up to date. Hopefully the problems MrSato and maybe others had were only with the very first batch.

If you are buying this kit, do yourself a favor and buy the ESC programmer RCTimer sells if you don't already have one. I didn't and had to spend several hours researching and trying to get a Arduino Mini Pro to act as one. I got it working, but a $6 solution seems a lot easier.
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:31 PM
BULLIT Drones
Joined Oct 2009
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parke_ParkeFlyer View Post
This weekend I finally got a chance to take a good look at the Indy250 FPV that arrived a week earlier. Man, I am impressed with this quad. I love the integrated PCB and lack of wiring. It's super cool looking and really well designed. Comparing it to the Tarot 250, RcTimer made some great design improvements. It started out as a clone, but now it is it's own thing. So many things are right about this craft that it's easy to start a list of "fine-tuning" improvements to the design. MrSato, this basic concept might be a great starting place for your personal designs.

Two immediate "improvements" I would do is (1) use a thicker carbon fibre or multi-ply material (carbon+glass+carbon) to improve the strength. Not that it's weak now, but there is thicker material available and added strength is usually a good thing. (2) make the front and rear arms the same part. I'm predicting that I will be breaking either the front or rear more than the other. It would be nice if they were interchangeable. I honestly don't see why it could not have been a symmetrical design.

If RCtimer would make every part available, this quad, as is, could be and should be VERY popular. I'm super glad arms are already available, but this frame won't catch on unless all the parts are available.
Thanks Parke, and it isn't far off my design strategies. Ours will be 3-5mm thick carbon fiber for minis. We also planned to have integrated power solutions, like bec and filtration for fpv gear. We also will assure that we not only have all parts available, but that they will be fast and easy to replace. We want to win races, and follow the same design strategies as racing series like MotoGP, Formula1, etc use. Reliable, durable, easy to work on, fast parts replacement, and of course, look cool as hell. LOL Fast doesn't mean anything if you don't finish.

The thing about being symmetrical... it does make sense, and that's part of what makes some quads popular, put a replacement arm anywhere. It's cheap. But doesn't necessarily look as cool, does it? We are still on the fence about this. If I had to pick an existing design to use as a base, it would probably be the Vortex. That is an efficient racer. It is also pretty symmetrical. It is integrated, and low profile. I do have some issues with it, but it is the best overall that I know of.
I guess that's why RCT is basing their next off of it. XP Smart. I think a lot of manufacturers will, others already are.
One thing they don't do well is easy part replacement. Walkera kit that mail on the head with the Runner. We want to take that even further, and put it all in a very well balanced frame that handles perfectly, won't burn out in races, and will bounce back from crashes.
Hey, I can dream, can't I? That's why it's taking a long time to develope. We're asking a lot of the design.
RCG Plus Member