Find More Posts by CooHead
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Discussion
Larger foam WW2 plane?

I'm searching while I type this.

But, any heads up on who makes a larger foam warbird?
I have the set up from my 52" Slick available; Torque -720, 70amp, 14x7 4S2650 packs...good for about 400watts.

I'm mostly 3D, but would like a belly lander for the winter. I've had a GWS P51 and mE109 before (back in can motor days).

Would like a good, heavy, smooth bottom, warbird for hand launch and belly skid across the street this winter.

Any inout or direction?

Thanks
CooHead
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
OK. So I see the "giant Foam Plane" kit at NitroPlanes.com.

55" or so. $109 for the kit that includes nothing but the retracts.

$35 shipping.

Is this where we buy NitroPlane planes? From thsir site? Is it offshore? Is there a dealer/source for it with less shipping charges?

Never bought a NitroPlanes....welll, I did once. A bigger 55" P38. It was balsa. Kind of a dog.

Coo
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by ryramZ
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,987 Posts
What tx are you using?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
What radio I have? What does that matter?

It's a Hitech Optic6 on ch#11 anyhow.

Coo
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by ryramZ
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,987 Posts
It matters if you want to bind and fly to horizon hobby products. Any of the park zone birds would be good candidates. Larger than 44" becomes hard to hand launch. I would look at the p51 ,wildcat, or corsair. The p47 has a smooth bottom and comes with an optional bellyskid. If your radio is not spektrum than you can buy plug and play versions instead. It does matter. It's a question asked in order to gauge a response as far as advice goes. I mean you were asking. Horizon has parts for their products and shippings reasonable.

If your wanting to use the parts you have nitroplanes or hobby king might be your best bet. I suggest horizon cause I can't imagine hand launching 55" warbirds.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
Last edited by ryramZ; Jan 04, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:30 AM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Alright, gotcha, good points.

I was thinking just the airframe. I have all the gear for it. Less expensive for a plane only as I have all the servos, motor, esc and Rx. Get to assemble a bit of it which I like doing.

I built a HouseOfBalsa P51 and flew that for a long time. Started with a slab of laser cut sheets and ended up with the plane (maybe a pic?).

If a 52"ish was over powered (400watts) I'd think it would be OK to hand launch??? Especially being foam, I'd get through the learning curve of how to get it hand launched and air born.

Maybe something smaller, but not much. Maybe 48"-52"...keep it under 3lbs. Wouldn't have any gear to it.

But then again, maybe it would be a hand full. Just that I have such a nice 190 acre filed at the end of my drive and the crops are in and the snow will be smoothing it out soon, want something to toss and go.

That NitroPlanes "Giant" is foam and comes with nothing but the retracts...

I will look into it further.

Thanks for any advice, ideas or input.

Coo
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
You might like to check out HobbyKing's US store - they have some 1.4, 1.5m warbirds there, although I'm not so sure you'll be able to get a bare airframe http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?currentPage=2
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:09 AM
nsg
Find More Posts by nsg
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,299 Posts
I'd save the Slick equipment for the new 3DHS bype and buy a GWS P-40. It's a bigger plane than the old generation GWS warbirds, EPO foam, flies nicely, takes wind well.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg