New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by builder
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Discussion
Mistral arf manufacturer wanted

I am looking for a manufacturer to produce the 3m Mistral RES sailplane model for me. I have been producing kits on and off for the last 15 years, but the majority of people would rather have the finished model and kit sales are poor. I would like any manufacture who is interested to contact me, it would be nice to get this well liked sailplane in production.

The Mistral is a three meter rudder-elevator-spoiler built up sailplane with exceptional performance and handling. It uses balsa, spruce, and lite-ply in its construction. The wing builds up into a strong 3-piece unit with removable tips. Wing area: 1105 sq. inches. Weight: 56 oz. Airfoil: Eppler 392.

I am looking the have the sailplane produced as an ARF with fiberglass fuselage replacing the current built up one and a 4 piece built up wing for ease of shipping and transport.

As anything else, I expect to pay prices in line with the quality of the finished product.

Erwin,

Wilde Designs
builder is offline Find More Posts by builder
Last edited by builder; Mar 29, 2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: additional information
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2015, 07:49 PM
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Some more info added to the original post for those who might be interested.
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by SportPlane
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2015
387 Posts
I like to fly the Mistral in the Real Flight simulator. It is a fast glider in the sim and thermals pretty good too. I have never seen a kit for sale. How much are you asking for the kits? The glider launching in the second photo looks like it is twisting and wings flexing under the load of a launch?
SportPlane is online now Find More Posts by SportPlane
Old Apr 03, 2015, 01:18 AM
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
The glider in the second photo actually has the stab misaligned, it has seen a lot of flying.

I have no kits for sale at this time, I am having trouble getting reasonably priced wood.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 01:29 AM
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
The Mistral in real flight is not the same, this one has been around since the 80's and was reviewed in Model Builder magazine which is no longer with us.
Last edited by builder; Apr 03, 2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,207 Posts
Another option might be to license the design to one of the current manufacturers who have the established supply chain to do this sort of thing. Or talking to someone like MM Glidertech who produces the Oculus in a semi kit form. The fuse is molded and the spar is built so there is a LOT less building than the typical wood kit.

I would think building a wood glider in an ARF form would have to be taken off shore. The manpower to do it here would likely put you in an uncompetitive price range.

But those are just my thoughts.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 07, 2015, 02:16 PM
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
I have considered a molded fuselage for the kit, it would knock off about a third of the building. Either that or pod and boom, there are readily available booms, and the pod is a lot easier to set up a mold for.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,207 Posts
That is probably why pod and boom are so popular. Add a mount for the built up tail and the wing and you are set. Of course then you look like everyone else but, hey, that is what people are buying.

Make your pod and boom white or orange or something other than carbon cloth black. Add some light balsa moldings on the boom to create a unique look. I don't know, something that makes it not look like a Supra or a Bubble dancer.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 18, 2015, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by r39o
Old newb
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
374 Posts
I may already have a fuselage mold! Or least the positive of the fuselage.

I have a couple of fuselages but not sure what is what currently.

Any of these look familiar?
r39o is online now Find More Posts by r39o