New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by uselessmidget
Joined Aug 2005
40 Posts
Discussion
Camera FOV too small?

Hi everyone, I just setup my first FPV rig. A spedix S250 with Skyzone FPV-500 and Quanum V2 Pro Goggle kit

However as soon as I used it I realized how small the FOV is. Supposedly it was displaying 16:9 so I tried switching the monitor to 4:3 and the picture looked much more appropriate, it is stretching it out to 16:9 in that mode. I also looked up that alot of people think this camera (960H) is 16:9 capable and from what I see it is not. (More independent evidence it is not capable of 16:9) Or atleast it isnt being transmitted that way.
Is there another camera I can buy that will give me a larger FOV preferably in 16:9?
Or how about changing my lens?
If this camera really is 16:9 could it be the video tx/rx system that crops it to 4:3?

Thanks for any help.
uselessmidget is offline Find More Posts by uselessmidget
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2016, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
21,513 Posts
Surveilzone was working on a 16:9 CCD camera but I have no idea when it will be available. I did try their 16:9 CMOS but the image was poor and it would not work with any of my OSDs.

Lenses are easy to change – that’s your best solution. Surveilzone has a good variety.
http://www.surveilzone.com/mtv-mount...rd-lens-cl1171
http://www.surveilzone.com/mtv-mount...rd-lens-cl1182

The wider the lens the less detail that you will see and the greater the fisheye distortion.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:43 PM
Joined Aug 2005
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Surveilzone was working on a 16:9 CCD camera but I have no idea when it will be available. I did try their 16:9 CMOS but the image was poor and it would not work with any of my OSDs.

Lenses are easy to change – that’s your best solution. Surveilzone has a good variety.
http://www.surveilzone.com/mtv-mount...rd-lens-cl1171
http://www.surveilzone.com/mtv-mount...rd-lens-cl1182

The wider the lens the less detail that you will see and the greater the fisheye distortion.

Hey I asked them about the 16:9 camera. The one you have is the only one they are producing or planning to produce.

Email response:
Dear Sir

We release it a long time ago: http://www.hifpv.com/Foxeer-XAT1200M...V-Camera-g-302

Best regards

Harvey
Old Jun 21, 2016, 05:18 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
21,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessmidget View Post
Hey I asked them about the 16:9 camera. The one you have is the only one they are producing or planning to produce.

Email response:
Dear Sir

We release it a long time ago: http://www.hifpv.com/Foxeer-XAT1200M...V-Camera-g-302

Best regards

Harvey
That’s too bad as that camera is terrible for FPV.

Old Jun 23, 2016, 04:50 AM
Find More Posts by Rodizio
Joined Mar 2012
260 Posts
Really annoying that there is still no 16:9 CCD cam. Should be just a firmware change, no?
Rodizio is online now Find More Posts by Rodizio
Old Jun 23, 2016, 05:38 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
21,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizio View Post
Really annoying that there is still no 16:9 CCD cam. Should be just a firmware change, no?
+1

Maybe someone could do a project on writing some open source CCD camera code. That’s would be an interesting project.

Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Virtika
Learning the Ropes!
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined Mar 2015
245 Posts
Might be worth checking out the this? It's not CCD, but may still give fairly okay results?

I take that back, apparently it's pretty terrible. I have a PilotHD V1 around somewhere that I used once due to latency/weight/poor build quality, thought they would have fixed that. Evidently not.
Virtika is online now Find More Posts by Virtika
Last edited by Virtika; Jun 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 08:11 AM
Joined Aug 2005
40 Posts
Changing the lens helped alot. Unfortunately on friday I flew my 4th and 5th (final flight). I flew a battery over the parking lot testing the new lens and new anbee video antennas. I landed and put a freshly charged battery on. Took off and zipped across a lake to test video range. I was headed back (Under 2mins of flight time total) and the quads rotors instantly stopped. I watched as my quad plummeted into the lake not reacting to any control inputs. I use a spektrum DX9. I assume the CC3D board gave out but I was not able to recover anything. Also Hobbyking raised the price of the Spedix S250Q ARF kit from $76.99 to $147.70 in the last week. So I'm out of the game for a while, it was a fun week while it lasted.