Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 20, 2016, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by twlanoy
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Nov 2015
239 Posts
Alert
MiniBipe

MiniBipes are back instock at Heads Up RC. Only 12 left in stock after I got mine. Looking forward to putting this little baby together and giving it a try.
twlanoy is offline Find More Posts by twlanoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2016, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
Love mine.

minibip (1 min 38 sec)
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old Jan 21, 2016, 02:08 PM
Joined Nov 2015
239 Posts
Great video! I'm looking forward to doing mine but, looks like they are out of the power package at the moment. Also looks like they added more to stock.

I got the optional landing gear to put on mine when the time comes. :-)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
The landing gear is a bit over $$. Dollar set of wheels and ten cent piece of wire. I have a
Powerup 250, 1600kv, 10a esc and a 8x6sf GWS, use a 2s 500 battery.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 01:56 PM
Joined Nov 2015
239 Posts
Got my Minibipe in today and let me tell you, packaging is top notch! Once Heads Up RC gets some more power packs in stock, I'll start on the build. Thinking of a yellow/green color scheme.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 03:11 AM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
I bought one a couple weeks ago and just finished it tonight, hopefully I can try it out tomorrow. I can confirm that Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2x "Painter's Touch Paint+Primer" works well and doesn't melt the foam at any distance, but I had some issues. It just wouldn't fill the foam surface on some of the edges and on the nose in front of the upper wing but I don't think it's the paint's fault. I was painting in 55F degree weather (50F was the minimum recommended on the can) and bringing it in the house to dry. Also I didn't do much sanding. Overall it looks pretty good. I also tried the 3M Edge Guard masking tape, which seemed to work pretty good if you removed it only AFTER the paint was mostly dry.

I bought the power pack, landing gear kit, and the PowerUp 4 channel receiver ($6.95, how is that possible?) from Heads Up RC. One of the servos is acting odd, I can't turn it one direction by hand unless I really force it, but when I connect it to my servo tester it seems to move ok. Should I try to exchange it?
Uter is offline Find More Posts by Uter
Old Feb 17, 2016, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Oh yeah, also wanted to say I don't know where all the people on here find all these oddball "foam safe" paints, but I went to every store I could think of and they didn't have any of them, which is why I used the Ultra Cover. Two Home Depot employees told me it was the safest for plastics and foams. I went to two Ace Hardware stores, Pro Build (hardware store), Wal-Mart, Michael's, two hobby shops, Home Depot, and Lowes. None of them had Krylon H2O, Krylon Short Cuts, anything labeled as "foam safe, Acrylic (except for airbrush paints), or "Water Based". Matter of fact none of the spray paints I looked at even stated if they were water based or not.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
The instructions tell you to use Krylon Shortcuts. that's what I used. Worked perfect.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 04:02 AM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
The instructions tell you to use Krylon Shortcuts. that's what I used. Worked perfect.
Ya, like I said in my last post, I went to every store I could think of and no one had it. Every store had the Rustoleum Ultra Cover. Also judging from the online prices, the Ultra Cover was half the cost as Short Cuts and you get a full size can, not a miniature can.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
Hobby Lobby!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Do you guys have any experience with the "Power Up" 2.4ghz receivers on HeadsUpHobby.com? I bought a 4 channel RD410 for the MiniBipe but I can't seem to program the failsafe mode using my DX6. With everything off I insert the bind plug, center all controls on my DX6 with throttle all the way down, plug in battery to ESC, remove bind plug, power on DX6 holding down bind button until servos center and receiver light is solid. Then it doesn't seem to matter if I turn off DX6 first or unplug battery first, either way after I power everything back up and turn off my DX6 the elevator goes all the way up and the rudder all the way left.

If I bind using the normal procedure everything works fine, servos are centered, and when I power off my DX6 all the controls stay where they are. I emailed HeadsUp tech support and they said basically to remove servo horns and do the regular bind procedure to find the servo "true center", then reconnect servos and do failsafe bind. But I already centered servos multiple times with the servo tester so I'm sure they are centered. Only in failsafe mode when I turn off the DX6 they move to one extreme.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
I have a lot of the Powerup rec's. Just set everything like you want and rebind.

Reread your post, DO NOT REMOVE THE BIND PLUG WITH THE POWER ON!

Leave the bind plug in, power up the transmitter with the bind button pressed.

After bind is complete, remove flight battery, turn off transmitter, remove bind plug.

Turn on transmitter, plug in flight battery, check systems.

The fail safe is in the rec. You don't need to do anything to the transmitter.

To check, with the prop off, powerup everything in the normal way, then turn the
transmitter off and see what happens. Then repeat with the throttle at 25%, the
motor should stop, then re power the transmitter and it should start again in
a couple seconds.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Quote:
I have a lot of the Powerup rec's. Just set everything like you want and rebind.

Reread your post, DO NOT REMOVE THE BIND PLUG WITH THE POWER ON!

Leave the bind plug in, power up the transmitter with the bind button pressed.

After bind is complete, remove flight battery, turn off transmitter, remove bind plug.

Turn on transmitter, plug in flight battery, check systems.

The fail safe is in the rec. You don't need to do anything to the transmitter.

To check, with the prop off, powerup everything in the normal way, then turn the
transmitter off and see what happens. Then repeat with the throttle at 25%, the
motor should stop, then re power the transmitter and it should start again in
a couple seconds.
To enable failsafe mode it says in the instructions to power up the receiver and remove the bind plug. Then power up transmitter while holding bind button until receiver light glows solid. After I do that and test it the servos both go all the way one direction. If I bind the standard way, leaving the bind plug in while powering up transmitter holding down bind button, then when I test it by powering off transmitter the servos remain in whatever position they were in (again, not going back to center). In other words, no matter which mode I do the servos DO NOT go back to center, which according to the manual they are supposed to do in failsafe mode.

When I emailed tech support the guy basically said I screwed up and the servos aren't centered and to remove the servo arms and do the initial bind procedure again. I've done that 15 times and I used my servo tester to center the servos initially, they are definitely centered. The failsafe mode IS NOT moving the servos back to center on signal loss. I don't understand why this isn't clear.

There also seems to be an issue with calibrating the ESC in the power package. It states in the instructions to power on my transmitter with full throttle, then power on the ESC and I should hear musical tones, then a 2 second delay, then 2 beeps, then I should throttle down all the way to complete the calibration. I hear the musical tones, but there is no 2 beeps. There's just a delay then 1 beep, then delay then 1 beep, over and over. Either these instructions for the receiver and ESC are wrong, or they're defective, because it's not behaving like it says it should.
Last edited by Uter; Feb 21, 2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
3,668 Posts
Powering up the rec and removing the bind plug means the rec is in normal flight mode.
You have to leave the bind plug in until you power off the rec. It doesn't remember
any thing if the bind plug is removed with the power on.

The steady single beep is "no signal". Rec is not getting a signal from the transmitter.

Is your throttle trim at 0? Is throttle travel at 100?
Last edited by BHOFM; Feb 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Uter
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Quote:
Powering up the rec and removing the bind plug means the rec is in normal flight mode.
You have to leave the bind plug in until you power off the rec. It doesn't remember
any thing if the bind plug is removed with the power on.

The steady single beep is "no signal". Rec is not getting a signal from the transmitter.

Is your throttle trim at 0? Is throttle travel at 100?
Sorry bhofm either I'm really confused or these instructions are wrong. Note step #3 removing bind plug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsuprc
BINDING WITH FAIL-SAFE:

*Be sure that the control surfaces on your plane are aligned correctly and your servos are set to neutral before setting failsafe. Also be sure that they throttle stick on your transmitter is set in neutral.

1. Insert the Bind Plug into the Bind Port.

2. Apply power to the receiver, either through an ESC connected to the throttle port, or a separate UBEC or receiver battery connected to any open port. A light will begin blinking, indicating that the receiver is in bind mode.

3. Remove the Bind Plug from the receiver. The light will continue to blink.

4. Press and hold the bind button on your transmitter while turning on the transmitter. Hold the bind button for up to 10 seconds, until the light in the receiver remains solid on and you have servo control.
Then it contunues about testing by turning off transmitter while having a control moved and it should return to center (failsafe). It doesn't do this for me but both servos go all the way to one side.