Old May 02, 2014, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by dharban
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,825 Posts
Discussion
New Reasonably Priced ALES Plane

Went out today with my flying buddy D.O. to shoot landings in advance of the Polecat -- 110 attempted this week. Watch out!

D.O. is experimenting with FPV soaring and is using a Topmodel Fascination from Slovakia. Esprit Models sells them here:

http://www.espritmodel.com/fascination-36e-f5j-arf.aspx

This 3.6 meter plane sells for $575 and it is both beautiful and very well crafted. Enough room in the nose to accommodate almost any motor. Good airfoil (MH32). Balsa sheeted foam wings. Just very, very nice.

It runs a little heavy, but for the price would be a good value -- and a great value for a back-up windy weather plane. This thing really has legs.

Give it a look.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 07:40 PM
MrE
Find More Posts by MrE
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban View Post

It runs a little heavy, ..... This thing really has legs.

Give it a look.

Happy Landings,

Don

At 112 oz I bet it does have legs
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 02, 2014, 07:48 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
At 112 oz I bet it does have legs
I'll check with D.O., but I do not believe that his finished out nearly THAT heavy. At any rate, he flew it today in about 10 mph and it flew very, very well.

And I'd say that it would have been spot on perfect for the 15+ mph winds we have been having most of the month.

Happy Landings,

Don
Old May 02, 2014, 08:20 PM
MrE
Find More Posts by MrE
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
3,122 Posts
The weight listed on the site was 6.5-7 pounds. In my experience, its unusual to come in significantly under the max listed weight, but Esprit is a lot more honest than many dealers.

Ive gotten lazy or spoiled or maybe just old - I just dont fly in that kind of wind any more. I go fishing instead
Old May 02, 2014, 08:25 PM
MrE
Find More Posts by MrE
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
3,122 Posts
By the way - sorry if Im coming across like Im knocking the model or your recommendation of it. Thats NOT my intention at all!

I lean more towards the feather weight floater type models, but thats just laziness on my part. Nothing wrong with a hi wing loading on a model that performs well
Old May 02, 2014, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by tom1968
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
379 Posts
The Topmodel weights listed on Esprit's site can be way too pessimistic. The Grafas lists at 5 to 5.5 lbs (80-88 oz.). Mine came in at 67 oz and I didn't build especially light.

I don't understand why they would list such heavy weights. It probably results in lost sales.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Old May 02, 2014, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,412 Posts
They list empty weight at 73oz,, figuring about 20oz for power system and electronics that comes out to 93oz,, which gives a Wingloading of slightly over 11oz/sqft
Not tooo bad for a model that size eh??
Not a floater but not necessarily a brick and for $575,, seems pretty reasonable
And the aspect ratio at 16.7 and the MH32 airfoil,, you could do worse at that price range,, could be a good windy day model as Don suggested
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old May 02, 2014, 10:16 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1968 View Post
The Topmodel weights listed on Esprit's site can be way too pessimistic. The Grafas lists at 5 to 5.5 lbs (80-88 oz.). Mine came in at 67 oz and I didn't build especially light.

I don't understand why they would list such heavy weights. It probably results in lost sales.
Same thing here too!! Look at empty weight of this model,, its listed at 46oz
,, add 20oz for power system and electronics and,, VOILA!! 66oz AUW,, very close to what Toms Weight is. I'm guessing Esprit is just posting what Top Model lists
Old May 07, 2014, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by Fly2High
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Wasn't it also true that the MH-32 liked or needed a higher wing loading than the then competitive and highly liked Selig 7035 or 7037 airfoils?
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old May 07, 2014, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1968 View Post

I asked about this at the WRAM show and no one could give me a good answer. I think it will hurt their sales too. their planes appeR to be VERY heavy
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 11, 2014, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by pguim
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
188 Posts
Hi,

A good model that suits a reasonable pocket is the vulture F5J. This model is able to compete with the best. Have a look here in the fórum.

Best regards,

Paulo
pguim is offline Find More Posts by pguim
Last edited by pguim; May 15, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguim View Post
Hi,

A good model that suits a reasonable pocket is the vulture F5J. This model is abel to compete with the best. Have a look here in the fórum.

Best regards,

Paulo
Is this the glider?
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=VULTURE
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 12, 2014, 01:00 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,412 Posts
Think it depends on ones concept of a reasonable price,, the vulture lists at $1199,
An Osprey at $1000,, and the plane listed above ( fascination ) at $575,, BIG difference in price. ;-)
Old May 13, 2014, 04:21 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,825 Posts
I weighed my buddy's plane. He is setting it up as a platform for FPV. Making adjustments for the extra gear he is installing, it is reasonable to expect the plane to finish out around 87 ounces (5 3/8 lbs).

For guys who want to have a plane or planes that offer a lot of fun sport flying AND decent ALES capabilities, this plane has a lot to offer.

As a second, heavy air plane, this is perfect. As a primary plane, it would be adequate -- with an asterisk that it would greatly broaden the range of wind speeds for sport flying. In combination with something like a Pulsar one could be perfectly competitive in ALES -- for a lot less than the cost of a moldie.

Happy Landings,

Don
Old May 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by pguim
Portugal
Joined Jun 2004
188 Posts
Yes, is that one. In England costs a lot more. But I'm sure that You can get a good price directly from Vasil.

Best regards,

Paulo
pguim is offline Find More Posts by pguim