Old Apr 19, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobearcat View Post
Oh I am just finding this issue out NOW....I am not happy that I might have to cut on the foam to get my fan in and out...I can't even get the stock fan out!!!

Stock fan comes right out..... CS goes right in...... Flew today...... No worries......
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by The Snake
Registered RC NUT!
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Jun 2002
518 Posts
I've been flying mind every weekend, I'm enjoying the hell out of it! many keep asking me is that stock, I just saying oh no!!!
The Snake is online now Find More Posts by The Snake
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,445 Posts
I actually can't believe how good it flies.....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
6,527 Posts
Pulled Bad Betty from the hangar to show off at an R/C Demo our club was asked to put on for a local town festival. Dropped gear, set her on the runway & backed off a couple of steps, gave her some juice & looked like it started windvaning down the runway, only, it was running off in the wrong direction! Never left the ground, couldn't get it to come back, & found the front wheel at a 45* angle. Back in the pits, discovered one of the steering cables had broken right at the little crimp thingy.

Need to order some to make repair....first plane I've had with this type (small size) wire, & not exactly sure what to search for at Hobby King site. Any ideas? Do they make fishing cable this fine??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by aspyrs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
337 Posts
I use braided fishing line and fishing line crimps from my local tack shop....fixed mine about a dozen times.....no problems
aspyrs is online now Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:05 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
6,527 Posts
If I'd had to fix it a dozen times, I'd see that as a problem!
Thanx for the suggestion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2015, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by aspyrs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
If I'd had to fix it a dozen times, I'd see that as a problem!
Thanx for the suggestion.

Aahhhhh yes, I wondered if you'd pick up on that......I've had this jet for a couple of years now....and my small patch of Tarmac runway is a little short...hence I run into the curb every now and again. It only takes a nudge, and the wires can go slack. Plus I've swapped out the undercarriage for the sprung versions mentioned in earlier posts....it took a few goes before I got the steering right....
aspyrs is online now Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:45 AM
bps
Find More Posts by bps
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
970 Posts
Very nice bird if you have a hard surface runway to fly from. Getting ready to list mine for sale over in the classifieds. Pick up only.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:46 AM
Find More Posts by Turbobearcat
Joined Aug 2011
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Stock fan comes right out..... CS goes right in...... Flew today...... No worries......
Trust me the stock fan would not go in and my CS/ Turnigy 2100 was not going in..

I had to cut the fuse and then glue it to the hatch to get it to work right.
Turbobearcat is offline Find More Posts by Turbobearcat
Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
749 Posts
Hello everybody - I just got this bird in a trade over the weekend at a swap meet at my airfield..
It was a kit that replaced a destroyed plane so I have spare parts that came with this one :-)
What I have learned so far from the thousands of post :-) is to go with a larger fan setup but here are my options I am playing with and the ideas behind it.

1. Stock fan 2950 Kv 5 blade.. (4s)
2. 3500 Kv 5 blade (draws about 48-50 amps) and upgrade the ESC to 60-80 amp range.(4s)
3. Change Sun 10 blade 2100 Kv or 3000 Kv - either way needs 80-100 amp esc (4s or 5s)
4. FMS 8 blade w/ 3000Kv motor and use a 60 amp esc. (4 s power)
Options #2 & 4 I have used and still use today in my XB-70 and the results are good as far as power is concerned. I am leaning towards the 8 bladed fan and 3000 Kv motor since i know this setup (my XB -70 is using the fan w/ 2800KV- draws about 44-46 amps) with the 3000 Kv I think it should give the Sea Vixon a good amount of thrust.

Also http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
for the ESC..

Now next question - where do I get the replacement servos for this plane, the leads are 26 3/4 inches long!!!!! the only thing I can see doing is to buy servo lead extensions.. ideas please.
Last edited by Turbobearcat; Apr 20, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:06 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
6,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobearcat View Post
...What I have learned so far from the thousands of post :-) is to got with a larger fan setup ...

... ideas please.
Did ya perchance catch any indication of nothing much being wrong with the stock setup? Just a thought.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:15 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
6,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspyrs View Post
Aahhhhh yes, I wondered if you'd pick up on that......I've had this jet for a couple of years now....and my small patch of Tarmac runway is a little short...hence I run into the curb every now and again. It only takes a nudge, and the wires can go slack. Plus I've swapped out the undercarriage for the sprung versions mentioned in earlier posts....it took a few goes before I got the steering right....
Heard that! I've seen fields with pavement where I sure would have liked to have brakes. I haven't studied much on 'em (cross bridge when confronted) but have wondered are there any 'drop in' setups that wouldn't break the bank.

BTW, on the steering cable....
One of the blessings of this one-hoss burg I live near is we have one of the better tackle shops on the east coast. One of those oases for the everybody-in-the-state-heading-for-the-beach type places. Picked up some almost identical looking & flexing woven steel cable, Sevenstrand brand IIRC, & matching crimps. Left 'em out in the car & it's raining so, will post the specifics later for any interest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2011
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Did ya perchance catch any indication of nothing much being wrong with the stock setup? Just a thought.
I did indeed - but I wanted something a little more better sounding and grab a little more power to boot.. the FMS 8 blade fan works well on my XB-70 running a 2800 Kv Turnigy motor. after 4 minutes of flying I still have 15.2v showing. That is the same as if I used the 3500Kv w/ 5 bladed fans.

a stock setup would be cheaper for me to use..yes but what's the fun in that?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by killickb
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,631 Posts
Starhopper, get some 20lb SpiderWire fishing line and some very small bore copper tubing -- K&S has for making control line fuel tanks -- for the crimps. You will be set for life for pull/pull steering.

I have an unknown number of flights on my SV, both grass and tarmac, never any problems with the gear although they do eventually just wear out i.e get too sloppy --- metal trunnions don't help much either.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb