Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by gunradd
KingtechUSA
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
Build Log
Ya f16

Well after a long drive I got my next F16. Very happy this one is mostly built already. I decided to let the old thread die and start fresh on a new thread.

This F16 will feature a working 2.4 radio . I sold everything I had that was spektrum and JR. I tried a hitech radio and at first I was very unsure but after I used it it really blew me away. So soon I will be picking up the new hitech system for all my planes.

I am also going with lighter batteries. I am thinking that 4 -3cell 5000mah batteries will fit next to the fan. This plane is only 8 pounds right now so its very light. Complete with 5000mah packs it will be at 15 pounds ready to fly. I am going to fly it as is for a while and then sometime next year work on a repaint and making it all scale the way I like them. (Thanks for the plane Roger!!)
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Last edited by gunradd; Oct 24, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:08 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
This plane has an intake duct made from zimmerman and its well built and fits right into the stumax fan. It also already has wingtip navs lights and 2 tail strobes.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
For mods I will need to change the stock rudder linkages to prevent rudder flutter. I also will add the intake spike. A good friend of mine has a vacume forming machine so some time down the road I will make a mold and have vacuum formed interior for the gear doors. I will make them a little off scale so they don't hang the wheels up like the old scale ones did on the old yellow kits.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:30 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
When I do repaint it this will be the new scheme. I don't know how I will do the tail. I might have to call a graphics company to do it. Just don't want to pay and arm and leg for it.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by kevin
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,712 Posts
Dont forget to loose that turnigy ubec...
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Dont forget to loose that turnigy ubec...
That is for the light system

The hitech system uses one battery for the receiver and servos and a seperate battery that does only the RF link in the receiver so you dont have brown out problems. Not to mention it has telemetry and warnings for the low battery. Also after landing if you encountered low battery at anytime during the flight it will have an alarm going off after you land.

I am also looking forward to the talking telemetry. Also I will be able to see airspeed on board battery voltage and all from the transmitter. Cant wait!!
Last edited by gunradd; Oct 25, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by bri6672
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,418 Posts
SWEET! Gun is back in an F-16 looking forward to your thread! Subscribed!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:29 AM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
I finaly got around to doing some work on the falcon. I got the air system all installed and leak free. I had problems with the BVM smooth stop leaking and orderd new orings from BVM but it still leaked so I used an oversized o-ring from work and problem solved. So now the entire air system is done and working great. Does anyone know if you need air restrictors on the brakes when you use the smooth stop? It seems to bo ok like it is.

I also got the inlet spike installed. My CC160 came back from castle also. My radio should be in later this week. I am going to install the receiver this time in the rear of the plane since all the servos are back thier I wont even need extensions for most of them.

All I need to get her flying after this week is the SM110-52 and new batteries. So far it looks like I will have it ready for the event at Ocala in December.

I have been thinking about making the canopy open with a servo but not sure yet. I also want to make the drop tank drop off now that I have 2 more channels on the radio.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
Got more work done on the falcon! She is almost ready to fly. I should be getting my fan and the batteries in shipping next week. Stu has done a great job getting the SM110-52 ready and I ordered 3- 5000mah 4 cell packs from XPS and that saved me a ton of weight. Castle got me my Ice 160 fixed and sent back. I am going to be about 3 pounds lighter then the last falcon!.

I have also been flying with my new Aurora 9 and love it so far. It is also nice not having all the wiring for 4 satalite receivers and 2 voltage regultors.

Since this canopy is hinged I would like to make it open and close. A friend of mine (mustang ace) gave me an idea of using a eflight retract for the canopy. Has anyone done this before? Would love to see some pics. With a Eflight retract I would not need a locking mechanism.

I also know wisdom was looking for ideas on running the airlines. Here is how I did this one. You can also see the LED nav lights. It has LEDs under the missle rail and on top. Also has 2 blinking strobes on the tail but could not get the picture to show them. Also I got the inlet painted.

So I am looking right on schedule to get this plane flying in 2 weeks.
Last edited by gunradd; Nov 25, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by MustangAce17
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,460 Posts
looking good! thanks for the acknowledgement
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,356 Posts
Very nice!I look forwards to seeing this one,are you going to have enough batteries this time??Joe
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by stumax
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,420 Posts
Looks good, Kris! I'm just about to go out to the post office and ship your fan, hope it arrives in time!

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
KingtechUSA
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
I got the canopy to open with a servo! And its nice and slow with my new radio and the servo slow function. My only worry is that it stays shut during flight

I also received my new batteries today and weighed everything and all up weight with everything including batts and speed control is 13 pounds! but that was with no fan. The fan I think is about 2 lbs so I will be right on 15 lbs! so 3 pounds lighter then the last one. This one is much cleaner also with the receiver in the tail I dont have many wires running around. Also with the lighter batteries they all go in the nose so it will be a ton better to remove and install them now.

So I am still shooting for 2 weeks for a flight at the ocala event.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by eazyp2
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2007
254 Posts
Nice,I think you got it right this go round. I likey very much
eazyp2 is offline Find More Posts by eazyp2
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA