SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:04 AM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Discussion
Taranis X9D how to use all 16 channels

I ordered a Taranis 16ch radio with X8R reciever what do I need to access all 16ch channels? Another reciever?
here is what I bought....
http://www.getfpv.com/radios/radio-c...bo-mode-2.html

With my Futaba 10J I had to buy an SBUS channel extender and programmer that added $100.00 to the cost for me to use all 10 channels.
cosmonaut1959 is offline Find More Posts by cosmonaut1959
Last edited by cosmonaut1959; Mar 12, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:22 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2014
131 Posts
Do you have 16 channels worth of servos in the airplane, or do you just want to access the 16 channels via switches on the TX?
sachsr1 is offline Find More Posts by sachsr1
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachsr1 View Post
Do you have 16 channels worth of servos in the airplane, or do you just want to access the 16 channels via switches on the TX?
It's a hexacopter and I will be using 10 channels total, landing gear, lights, camera shutter ect. I have a Futaba reciever with the extended channel SHUB cable.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:06 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada
Joined Sep 2006
6,269 Posts
Taranis doesn't speak Futaba!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:08 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,661 Posts
How about changing your title to something informative. Please.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:35 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,691 Posts
If your flight controller is SBUS compatible, just connect to the SBUS output on the X8R.

If not, you can bind 2 X8Rs together to get 16 PWM outputs. You can also use the FrSky SBUS to PWM adapters to add 4 PWM channels at a time using the SBUS output. You need the FrSky SBUS programmer to change which channels the adapters respond to as well if you go that route.

Note that your existing Futaba receiver will not work with the Taranis. Your post seems to imply you bought a combo pack with an X8R, but just mentioning it to be sure.

And I agree about the title, your question has almost nothing to do with the Taranis itself. It's about receivers and flight controller compatibility. If you post which flight controller you have, someone familiar with it can probably get you up and running pretty fast.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Taranis doesn't speak Futaba!
Then what is this for? I can not use my Futaba channel extender with this?
http://www.getfpv.com/sbus-to-pwm-decoder.html
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut1959 View Post
Then what is this for? I can not use my Futaba channel extender with this?
http://www.getfpv.com/sbus-to-pwm-decoder.html

That device takes the sbus signal from a receiver, and converts it to CPPM for older gear that doesn't handle sbus. Something's up with that link, the URL and most of the description talks about the sbus to PWM device. But the title and a few other parts are talking about the CPPM device. There are 2 different units, one of each. I'm not sure which they are referring to on that link.

I'm not that familiar with Futaba stuff, so I don't know what a "Futaba Channel Extender" is.

The first question you need to answer is, what flight controller are you connecting to, and does it support sbus? If the answer is that your FC does support sbus, connect the sbus lead up and configure your FC to read the inputs from there. It should be a single servo wire from the receiver to the FC.

If it does NOT support sbus, you need to figure out how you want to connect up. That's going to depend on what your FC supports.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
That device takes the sbus signal from a receiver, and converts it to CPPM for older gear that doesn't handle sbus. Something's up with that link, the URL and most of the description talks about the sbus to PWM device. But the title and a few other parts are talking about the CPPM device. There are 2 different units, one of each. I'm not sure which they are referring to on that link.

I'm not that familiar with Futaba stuff, so I don't know what a "Futaba Channel Extender" is.

The first question you need to answer is, what flight controller are you connecting to, and does it support sbus? If the answer is that your FC does support sbus, connect the sbus lead up and configure your FC to read the inputs from there. It should be a single servo wire from the receiver to the FC.

If it does NOT support sbus, you need to figure out how you want to connect up. That's going to depend on what your FC supports.
I am using a NAZA V2 flight controller.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,691 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339866

That thread has some information about connection with a Naza. Unfortunately, I've never used one, so I can only help in general terms. There's also a Taranis for multicopters thread in the radio forum. It looks like the Naza does support sbus, so you should be able to get it working with what you ordered. Exactly how to connect it is specific to the flight controller. The same thing with configuration. You will probably want to set up the model memory to use Futaba channel order to match what you have now. That should get you close.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339866

That thread has some information about connection with a Naza. Unfortunately, I've never used one, so I can only help in general terms. There's also a Taranis for multicopters thread in the radio forum. It looks like the Naza does support sbus, so you should be able to get it working with what you ordered. Exactly how to connect it is specific to the flight controller. The same thing with configuration. You will probably want to set up the model memory to use Futaba channel order to match what you have now. That should get you close.
Yes I want to have the controls to be the same. The Taranis just came in and I am impressed with what I got for the money I spent. Thanks for the link.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 03:10 PM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Sep 2006
341 Posts
You can do this with the package you bought.
Set the Taranis to output channel 1-16 in the setup menu.

Set the X8R to mode 4. This will output channel 9-16 on conventional channel pins (pwm). Connect the Sbus to naza to SBus and it will receive channel 1-8.
Connect your lights, camera, ... to channels 9-16.
joop1987 is offline Find More Posts by joop1987
Old Mar 16, 2015, 06:48 AM
Joined Aug 2014
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joop1987 View Post
You can do this with the package you bought.
Set the Taranis to output channel 1-16 in the setup menu.

Set the X8R to mode 4. This will output channel 9-16 on conventional channel pins (pwm). Connect the Sbus to naza to SBus and it will receive channel 1-8.
Connect your lights, camera, ... to channels 9-16.
Thanks I got it working but I also orderd a cable for the trainer port and am going to just use the Dragonlink.