HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:47 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,193 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing 450 4-Blade/5-Blade Rotor Head

Pre order your 450 4-blade or 5-blade rotor head now. Stock arrival around 22th of june (in about a week):

4-blade (US$ 25.95) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12611
5-blade (US$ 27.95): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12612

4-blade

5 blade
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:33 PM
rancho san antonio, CA
Joined Sep 2005
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashingDutchman View Post
Pre order your 450 4-blade or 5-blade rotor head now. Stock arrival around 22th of june (in about a week):

4-blade (US$ 25.95) : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12611
5-blade (US$ 27.95): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12612

4-blade

5 blade
I wonder how difficult it'll be to find 5 blades of equal weigh and cg. May be
with lower headspeed balancing of the blades isn't as critical.
mayday1 is offline Find More Posts by mayday1
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:01 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
The prices are just STUPID cheap, I ordered both... They will be out of stock after the first batch forever. I've put my 500D-fused 450 on hold temporarily as I need to go back to re-evaluating pinion or motor/kv choices as it's a pig (on two blades), after 60 flights she's just a bruiser on batteries; and I have tons of other stuff on my bench. I also didn't want to to commit to making it so much more expensive going multi-blade in lieu of going larger, but now I'll go back with a proper head and do it right if I'm going to non stop fiddle anyway. Thank goodness these weren't done in BLUE!

She definitely could make do with a new 'hat' with a little more lift...

kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 15, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday1 View Post
I wonder how difficult it'll be to find 5 blades of equal weigh and cg. May be
with lower headspeed balancing of the blades isn't as critical.
You can find a ton of info on multi blade heads in the scale heli forum in the nitro heli forums here (scale electric is covered there), to see what you are getting into These are cheap enough to just throw in a drawer just in case you feel the bug to get into it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-helicopters-43/
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
Trying to fly on the cheap!
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
That will look great with a 5 blade head!

That 5 bladed head is begging for a md500!
mosca.br is offline Find More Posts by mosca.br
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Considering these heads just came out, and the 3-axis gyros are showing up in quantity/quality with the prices dropping like a rock, stuff you never dreamed of getting into(like helis for me in the first place ) are becoming accessible. Everything else is going up in price, but this hobby gets cheaper every day. The problem is, with the price of each individual R/C item constantly going down, the count of those items tends to multiply just as quickly
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
Baie-Comeau, Québec, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
333 Posts
Do you have feathering shaft on those 4+ heads? how does it work if so? I'd assume the whole head would have to be changed when you crash?
Maksym is offline Find More Posts by Maksym
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb120 View Post
........ These are cheap enough to just throw in a drawer just in case you feel the bug to get into it.
You hooked me with that one. Just ordered the 5 blade. I just got a Jet Ranger fuse, now I'll have to put that on the shelf and get a H500.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
You hooked me with that one. Just ordered the 5 blade. I just got a Jet Ranger fuse, now I'll have to put that on the shelf and get a H500.
Well, the H500 makes the 450 size heli look a LOT larger due to the small size of the full-scale bird. The fuse's are a bit heavy, but more blades=much more lift. Definitely can use it, even though multi-blades starts an entire new chapter of learning to setup a heli. It also becomes a bit tail heavy, but I fly 2600 3S packs(not shown-i just stuck a battery in there so she sits upright) and all is well balance wise. If you look carefully another 450 is 'hiding' behind the 500... I was getting ready to start playing around with lower pinions/higher kv motor or going to 4S to make it overcome the weight and unload the electronics, but multi-heads make so much lift I may just have to play around with pinions and new tail rotor gearing/sizes.
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksym View Post
Do you have feathering shaft on those 4+ heads? how does it work if so? I'd assume the whole head would have to be changed when you crash?
They have feathering shafts. I assume they are locked(bolted?) into the head for each blade rather then supported by the other blade. The funny thing is how simple the heads are without all the hardware to support a flybar between the head/swash. Make 5 links exactly the same size, attach to head, adjust tracking and go as far as head setup. The nightmare with a flybar is to make it and the head work in unison properly. It's just a matter of making the heli tail able to compensate for so much more rotational force, the additional lift and proper headspeeds, and of course getting the gyro to work.
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Well, the H500 makes the 450 size heli look a LOT larger due to the small size of the full-scale bird. The fuse's are a bit heavy, but more blades=much more lift. Definitely can use it, even though multi-blades starts an entire new chapter of learning to setup a heli. It also becomes a bit tail heavy, but I fly 2600 3S packs(not shown-i just stuck a battery in there so she sits upright) and all is well balance wise. If you look carefully another 450 is 'hiding' behind the 500...
Well, like you said, it'll probably sit in a drawer till winter....too many fish to fry right now. I do have my eye on this fuse...
http://www.hobbypartz.com/67p-450-md530-402-army.html

I bought the 206 from the same company/same price and IMO it's good quality.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I would avoid that one like the plague, get one with a magnetic nose (a clone of the T-rex OEM type). HK has them, and RC aerodyne has a whole bunch.

http://www.scaleflying.com/450_Size_...show=90&page=1
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
The HK head looks to be a clone of this setup:
http://www.scaleflying.com/product_p/tf5b4.htm

They also offer scale blades, weighted and non weighted, and not expensive at all
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:54 PM
Pilot in Training
Monrovia, CA USA
Joined Nov 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
The prices are just STUPID cheap, I ordered both... They will be out of stock after the first batch forever. I've put my 500D-fused 450 on hold temporarily as I need to go back to re-evaluating pinion or motor/kv choices as it's a pig (on two blades), after 60 flights she's just a bruiser on batteries; and I have tons of other stuff on my bench. I also didn't want to to commit to making it so much more expensive going multi-blade in lieu of going larger, but now I'll go back with a proper head and do it right if I'm going to non stop fiddle anyway. Thank goodness these weren't done in BLUE!

She definitely could make do with a new 'hat' with a little more lift...

Ditto that! I ordered both the 4 and 5-blade variants too (for that price, how can you not?). I've already got an RCA 5-blade head, but I'm still trying to work out the available pitch range using its follower... As best as I can tell, the RCA unit is intended for CCW operation - it seems there's not enough travel available for more than 4-5 degrees positive pitch when running CW/RH. These HK heads should be interesting to compare. The HK swash follower looks like it has much greater freedom of motion.

BTW, nice fuselage there, Kevin =)

Jeremymtc is offline Find More Posts by Jeremymtc
Last edited by Jeremymtc; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: added text
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:31 AM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Heh, nice battery, and love the tail rotor flip.

I had a few copterX's laying around, I had to strip off the anodizing... Use a 500 size head button for now, it looks great on the H500.

Only problems with that kit, the paint flakes right off the white nylon gear legs(sharpies to the rescue), and the vertical fin can vibrate enough it can get the gyro to try to correct it constantly. They should of done wood instead of plexiglass for the tail fins. I glued two pieces of carbon rod to the leading/trailing edges of the vertical fin to stiffen it up. Flies like its on rails ever since. I didn't even bother trying to get the rear mounting screws in, just did the front and used a tiewrap around the frame in the middle(I see a bit of the same there). I love how it likes to putt around nose high coming out of FFF and slow sweeping turns, just like the real deal. Just slowly flying it away, then giving it a 90 degree turn dipping the nose and hitting the gas looks just too darn good...
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM.