HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:41 PM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Discussion
RC Magazine with Actual Build Articles

If you want to read an RC Magazine that has actual build articles, check out RC Sport Flyer by Kiona publishing. I only recently discovered this publication and was not sure how well known it was.

Note that I have no monetary interest in RCSF, I just really enjoy the magazine and wanted to spread the word about a good alternative to those magazines in which even the articles seem like advertisements.
aymodeler is offline Find More Posts by aymodeler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:15 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Likewise, Radio Control Model World (RCMW) and Quiet and Electric Flight International (QEFI), both from Traplet. Both RCMW and QEFI include stick-by-stick instructions on how to build models, plus they include FREE PLANS nearly every month. I know, as about a dozen of the plans available from the magazine are mine!

Better still, they don't mind if you call R/C "Radio Control"

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:50 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,575 Posts
I have seen RCMW and agree, it is a nice mag. Not 90 bucks a year nice, but a nice mag.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:13 AM
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Quote:
I have seen RCMW and agree, it is a nice mag. Not 90 bucks a year nice, but a nice mag.
It's half that price if you get the E-version (as I do).

CD
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:23 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,575 Posts
Interesting. That would be the first e-mag I have ever seen with free plans. What format do they use?

Tom
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:24 PM
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Don't be a smart a--, of course they don't include free plans in the electronic version. If they did, they'd be shared everywhere and would be worthless.

Most free plans are never built. A very few people keep them as reference for future designs (like me), but even then, most of the useful info is available from the text articles.

If you see an issue with a free plan you like, you can buy the plan (or the paper magazine, at some book sellers), and still come out ahead.

CD
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:37 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,575 Posts
Then my comment still holds. A good magazine, but not $90.00 good. You are the one that brought up the free plans, not I.

I still miss RCM. RIP Don, Ken, Chuck and Lee.

Tom
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Even at close to $90 per year, it's a good buy for a quality magazine, much better than MAN has become (and I've been reading MAN since around 1966). Just as RCM became little more than a catalogue with occasional articles, so have most of the other magazines become little more than ARF reviews. So, if you like building, you need to consider RCMW, together with R/C Sport Flyer.

CD

<sigh> Some folks can't resist dropping their drawers every time they pass by a punch bowl. Forget it, T_om, you're on my "ignore" list. I try to help folks, and all you can do is snipe.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Oct 16, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:14 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,575 Posts
I started reading RCM back in the early 60's while still in High School. I had issue #1 (1963 IIRC) for a long time but military moves finally made it disappear somewhere along the line after many years of dragging it around. I wish I still had it just for old times sake. Even at its worst, RCM was miles ahead of what is available today.

But maybe that is just a "I walked 10 miles to school uphill both ways back in my day" fantasy.

BTW, I was Ken Willard's biggest fan and when Cannon brought out its tiny (for its day) 4-channel setup, I was one of the first buyers solely because of his involvement in the development and use of the gear. I still have that radio.

Tom
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,530 Posts
Model designs don't alter much unless you're after the latest and greatest contest wonder machine. So finding back issues of older magazines with such articles is a highly valid way of finding such articles.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:24 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,171 Posts
Yep, and that's why I've kept all my old RCM's RCM&E's MAN's Model Aviations and Model builders pre 2000.

In my humble opinion most of the good stuff happened pre 1990!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:38 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
In 1964, I was loaned to NASA for 6 months to conduct wind tunnel test in the Ames wind tunnels. In the first hobby shop I visited, I found the fifth issue of a new model magazine devoted to radio control models. I quickly scoured every hobby shop south of San Francisco until I located all the back issues of RCM. I subscribed to RCM until it went out of business and still have all except a few issues that somehow got lost. I did the same thing for Model Builder and still subscribe to Flying models. I miss Model Builder most of all.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:49 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,171 Posts
MB was a good mag. I still find myself going 'phwoar' when I look at those beautifully drawn plans from.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:59 AM
United States, OH, Gahanna
Joined Aug 2003
19 Posts
Chucka

Flying Models was a good magazine, but now gone also.
RCPAUL is offline Find More Posts by RCPAUL
Old Oct 17, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Give Flying Models a chance; there are moves afoot to bring it back.

I used to have a large collection of RCM, AAM, MA, FM, MB, plus a few MAN and even some oddballs (like Scale R/C Modeler), plus 20 years of Astronomy magazine. Then came a big move overseas, courtesy of the USAF...it was either dump the magazines or my library of SF and aviation books. So, the best plans got 3-hole punched and put into binders, and the rest got dumped.

Over the years, I've been building up libraries of plans from places like the Outerzone and here on the E-Zone. As .pdf files, they take up very little room and are easily available for reference when I'm drawing whilst travelling. A few I've redrawn for Electric by tracing over them in TurboCAD and revising the interiors -- I have a long list of ones I still want to do!

CD

Sorry for my blast at T_om, but I'm tired of trying to put forth positive things, only to have them sniped at by nay-sayers.