HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:46 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2014
57 Posts
Discussion
EMAX Carbon Fiber Mini Quad Frame

The EMAX crew had asked me to try their recently released carbon fiber mini quad frame kit. Looks like the frame was built around the 1806 size motors by featuring 2mm mounting slots and an extended wheelbase of 280mm to allow six inch props to swing comfortably. The arms are a 5mm thick carbon fiber veneered glass fiber material which is generously over engineered to stand up to just about anything. This helps the lower portion of the body to be deep enough to enclose most ESCs and keep all of the wiring nice and tidy. The rest of the body portion of the frame has well laid out mounting holes and slots for straps to allow you to secure any accessories you could want, including a FPV camera mount.

Impressed just by looking at the pictures from EMAX (see below), I ordered a couple of the kits to give a try and gave them to some of the local RC guys I fly with to build. I know one of the kits has been built up and is already flying with some great feedback. For a retail price of about $50, this looks like it is going to be a great deal.

These frames will be available soon on our website, http://shop.multirotorminis.com, as well as other EMAX vendors.

MultiRotorMinis is offline Find More Posts by MultiRotorMinis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:57 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,305 Posts
Looks to be very strong,what's does the frame weigh?
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:28 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jul 2013
283 Posts
I got one of these kits from MultiRotorMinis a about a week ago to build and do a mini review on. The kit came in a simple box with all of the parts sealed in plastic bags. Bolts, screws, and other bits were sorted into their own individual baggies with labels stating size and length. The instructions was simply an exploded diagram, which made "dry" fitting the frame together easy enough. The carbon fiber did have some light scratches here and there, as well as some rough edges from the tooling which were smoothed out with a couple of minutes with a file.

For this build I went with the following hardware:

DYS BE1806 2300KV Black Edition Motors
EMAX 12A Simon Series ESCs
Carbon Fiber 6020 T-Type Propellers
Acro Naze32 Flight Controller
Afro Power Distobution Board
FrSky D4R-II Receiver w/ Telemetry in PPM Mode
Turnigy Nano Tech 1300mAh 45C 3S LiPo Battery

Total (retail) cost of the build was well under $250 with shipping, tax, little parts, a battery, and a receiver.

The frame minus battery came in at a respectable 370 grams once fully assembled. With the motor and prop combination above, the quad flies for 8 minutes with a 1300mAh battery and 11 minutes with a 2200mAh battery.

Not sure I will buy more of these carbon fiber T-type props once they break, as I feel there is a loss of efficiency and immediateness in power delivery. The quad hovers around 35% throttle and has plenty of power to swoop around, do flips and rolls, have fun with while flying line of sight, and of course getting into trouble hitting solid objects.

With two days of air time under my belt with this quad, it has been durable so far. It's had a few crashes into the weeds / tall grass and has walked away with zero damage, not even nicking up the props. Getting it out to the park this weekend with probably test the endurance a bit more since I tend to fly over asphalt and short grass, I am bound to have some harder impacts out there. I will try to have videos posted in the next couple of weeks.

Overall, I think the frame is great for its retail price. The power train is super smooth flying, points as naturally as you would your finger while you swoop around, and has plenty of power to grow into and weight down with more gear. I am glad to see that mini multirotors are becoming more and more affordable and that they're so much more forgiving to learn on than the bigger setups out there.

Mustang7302 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang7302
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined May 2014
57 Posts
We have done some trials with this new mini quad frame and the feedback has exceeded expectations. This past weekend we had eight pilots, of varying skill and multirotor experience, take two builds up in the air flying through countless batteries. Both builds walked away without damage and every single pilot loved the smooth, fluid, and sporty nature with the combination of parts, power, and tune.

We're expecting five kits this week from EMAX, however three are already spoken for, and we're excited to offer a bundle for the two remaining kits. Depending on how well these bundles sell will determin the scale we will look to achieve down the road with this kit.

The Mini EMAX Bundle will include:
1x EMAX Carbon Fiber Mini Quad Frame
4x EMAX MT1806 2280KV Motors (CW & CCW)
4x EMAX 12A Simon Series ESCs
8x GemFan Black 6030 Nylon Propellers (CW & CCW)
8x GemFan Green 6030 Nylon Propellers (CW & CCW)
1x Acro Naze32 Flight Controller (Pre-configured and Tuned)
1x RC Breakout Cable for the Naze32
1x Afro Power Distrobution Board
1x Black Nylon Hardware Kit for Flight Controller and PDB mounting
1x 2mm Bullet Connectors Kit (12 Pairs)
1x 3mm Black Heat Shrink, 8" long
1x XT60 Battery Connector Pair
1x 18AWG Silicon Wire Set, 8" long (Black & Red)
1x JST 2 Wire Connector Pair
1x Black Battery Strap

Add your own battery (1300mAh 3S 35C+), a receiver, and you're ready to fly. Price for the bundle will be $209.99 to build the kit yourself, or an optional $50 more for the kit to be pre-built and almost ready to fly.

If you're interested in one of the two kits that will be ready to ship late this week, please send me an email to sales@multirotorminis.com.

Edit: These kits are now listed on our site! Check them out here: http://www.shop.multirotorminis.com/...r-Kits_c10.htm
Last edited by MultiRotorMinis; Sep 05, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:11 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,361 Posts
We just received 4 of these and the quality is pretty good. I plan to build my personal one as a single deck. It's great that you can use 6" props on these with the stack on top. MRM, I don't tread on your thread so I can do another if you like.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:53 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
wow,Good Frame kits .
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2014, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2014
264 Posts
Hmm definitely looks like more than a couple vendors are selling this frame. Wonder if its worth making a thread for everyone using this frame like there is for the Blackout clone.

Its a good frame, I have been putting mine through hell and its surviving.
There is a few builds and reviews going on over here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208325
waimser is offline Find More Posts by waimser
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2014
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
We just received 4 of these and the quality is pretty good. I plan to build my personal one as a single deck. It's great that you can use 6" props on these with the stack on top. MRM, I don't tread on your thread so I can do another if you like.
This thread is intended to capture discussions for the frame itself. Tasteful advertisement is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waimser View Post
Hmm definitely looks like more than a couple vendors are selling this frame. Wonder if its worth making a thread for everyone using this frame like there is for the Blackout clone.

Its a good frame, I have been putting mine through hell and its surviving.
There is a few builds and reviews going on over here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208325
Yes, the frame is popping up in a number of places now. Would love to see the discussion for it to be corralled to this one thread.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2014
57 Posts
We received the parts for the kits this past week, but realized we were missing a couple of small items to make it a complete kit. Three of the five kits are spoken for already, but there is a local event which has the opportunity to sell the last remaining two. If I have extra kits left after the event, I will announce them here.

Also, as an update, the arm pattern for the motor mounts has been revised to accept 22mm motors (EMAX MT2204 2300KV, Cobra 2204 2300KV, SunnySky 2204 2300KV, ect.) with 3mm mounting holes. The frames I currently have in hand all have the revised hole pattern to accommodate both 18mm and 22mm motors.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
Joined May 2014
57 Posts
Our website has been updated to reflect the EMAX 250 Pro Kits: http://www.shop.multirotorminis.com/...r-Kits_c10.htm

After seeing if any kits are left unsold at the local event tomorrow, up to two kits will be available for purchase by 7:00 PM CST tomorrow evening.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 11:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,361 Posts
Got mine put together eliminating the 2nd tier. FPV weight without Lipos is ~364 grams

I'll maiden tomorrow.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2014
2 Posts
I got mine this week, but I have an agonizing wait till this weekend before I have any time to try to put it together.

Question about your pictures... why do you have so many zip ties in places where you would usually have actual fasteners? (all the arms, back side of the camera plate)
GasCans is offline Find More Posts by GasCans
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasCans View Post
I got mine this week, but I have an agonizing wait till this weekend before I have any time to try to put it together.

Question about your pictures... why do you have so many zip ties in places where you would usually have actual fasteners? (all the arms, back side of the camera plate)
Because it makes for easy field repairs when you crash. I've changed them out to neon green for ya

Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:43 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Interesting I wouldn't have thought the frame would be stiff enough with zip ties used like that. Hard to tell but are you using only zip ties or are you using one screw and one zip tie?

I just got my kit today. It actually arrived yesterday but no one was home to sign for it. MRM provided me with my kit so I could write up some information on setting up Naze32 with GPS to help inexperienced builders so I'll have a thread over at flitetest (and possibly here as well) documenting my build and with info on GPS for those who haven't used it before.

Overall first impression is that MRM put together a very nice and complete kit. I do plan on making a few deviations from the "stock" setup but not quite as far removed as yours!

I will say the first thing anyone with one of these should do is wash the plates. Mine had a lot of carbon/G10 dust on them and I was too excited to bother with washing or sanding the edges and just started putting it together in a test assembly...but now my fingers are itching!
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Interesting I wouldn't have thought the frame would be stiff enough with zip ties used like that. Hard to tell but are you using only zip ties or are you using one screw and one zip tie?

I just got my kit today. It actually arrived yesterday but no one was home to sign for it. MRM provided me with my kit so I could write up some information on setting up Naze32 with GPS to help inexperienced builders so I'll have a thread over at flitetest (and possibly here as well) documenting my build and with info on GPS for those who haven't used it before.

Overall first impression is that MRM put together a very nice and complete kit. I do plan on making a few deviations from the "stock" setup but not quite as far removed as yours!

I will say the first thing anyone with one of these should do is wash the plates. Mine had a lot of carbon/G10 dust on them and I was too excited to bother with washing or sanding the edges and just started putting it together in a test assembly...but now my fingers are itching!
I'm using one screw and one zip tie, double-looped through the hole, I had plenty of crashes last weekend and the zip ties broke as intended. Arms are fairly stiff. I rarely use things in their stock form.

I agree on washing the frame before starting. I had the same dust.

I've been playing with various GPS configs for position hold.
Site Sponsor