HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2001, 04:44 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Cheap wing flies!

After seeing a Pop-Fly, I wanted one, but this time of year, can't spend the $$$. So I got out one of those glider wings, and cut it down the center of the wing, about in the high spot of the airfoil. The I glued the leading edge in a sweep, then glued the trailing edge on, and cut some of the middle out to save weight. I covered it with regular Mono-cote, stuck my Lite-stik motor, gear still on it, with a cut down 6x3 prop, drilled out to fit the gear. 6c battery, and it weighs in at 6.3 oz. and wing span is 26" (was supposed to be 30", but I screwed up!) Hacking this thing together in a couple of hours, makes me believe one of you guys could actually make a good one! Mine used hot glue gun, and just scrap, so it coud be lighter.
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2001, 09:19 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I would like to know how it turned out, and what glider wing are you talking about.
Thanks
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Dec 08, 2001, 10:10 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
I can't remember which brand, may be a Wally, or ??? It did not really have much of a swept wing if I remember. Leading edge is about 2" deep, trailing edge about the same, about 9" length. I should have put a rib or two in it, so the covering would look better (kind of sags) But it looks like a Pop-Fly, with shorter wings. I wish I could post a picture. Next time, I know how to improve the design, but then it probably won't fly!
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane