HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
Help needed for balsa parts from plans

Looking for someone I can send plans to that would cut the balsa parts out and send them back to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
joe tuccillo is offline Find More Posts by joe tuccillo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Joe, I have to ask.

Are you looking for a laser-cut service for a digital CAD plan or are you just looking for someone to do the work of cutting from a paper or digital non CAD plan?

If its a CAD plan, others here can point you toward a supplier, a number of which are mentioned in this website.

If it is to avoid doing the work of hand cutting, you are avoiding one of the joys of building. In addition, anyone willing to take it on is going to charge you and it won't come cheap. And I am not one who would want the job at less than $30 per hour. You should take that money and buy you some single-edge razor blades and maybe a small scroll saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...saw-93012.html).

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
255 Posts
I agree. If you are timid about cutting the parts yourself, just study the plans to understand where each piece goes and where each piece starts and ends. For example, a dashed line is indicating a piece of wood behind the one you are looking at., such as a fuselage former shown behind a fuselage side. If you are OK with some pieces, but unsure of others, cut the pieces you are sure of and lay them on the plan to help visualize what the other pieces do and therefore where they start and end. I like to transfer the shape of each piece from the paper to the wood by placing the wood under the page where the piece is that you want to transfer the outline of to the wood. Then use a pin to pierce through the paper and into the wood. When you remove the wood, the outline of the piece will be there, so you just need to connect the pinholes. If you have any doubt, you can cut the wood a bit oversized and sand down to the exact outline shown on the plan. There are other methods. Don't be afraid to try. I think you'll like it and become hooked on building from plans!
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,196 Posts
It would help to know what plane you want parts cut for is. A few general items to include would be the wing chord, fuselage length, width and heigth, rudder and elevator chords if they have an airfoil shape to them.
Planeman is in the ballpark on the cost, about 5 hours for a 100" sailplane.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe tuccillo View Post
Looking for someone I can send plans to that would cut the balsa parts out and send them back to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Joe,

Unlike some others, I'm not going to jump in and say that you need to learn how to do it yourself. I will simply take you at your initial post that you really need someone to do the work for you for whatever reasons that you may have.

Clarification please... are you looking for a commercial laser cutting service where you simply provide them with plans and they use their own balsa?

If you only need a person to whom you could send plans, have them cut out and the balsa returned to you, then you'd need to provide the balsa to the individual or at least funds with which to purchase the balsa for your plans.

I may be able to help you, but need more info.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:56 PM
Northfield , Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
132 Posts
http://www.ak-models.com/
I had some plans scanned and sent them to ak
and had them laser cut
SailingaS2 is offline Find More Posts by SailingaS2
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:54 AM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingaS2 View Post
http://www.ak-models.com/
I had some plans scanned and sent them to ak
and had them laser cut
I'm in a similar situation to Joe. I crashed my plane and want to rebuild it but have never made parts from plans. How much did AK charge you? Did they convert the plans to a file? Thanks

David
dno264 is online now Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra