HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
Devo 8s with deviation vs dx6i/dx7

I want to know what you guys think about the Devo 8s as a radio. I would like to get one and throw the deviation firmware on it right away so it supports the largest number of options and I'm not limited to one set of receivers

It seems like this would be the smarter option as opposed to getting a dx6i or dx7 as long as the hardware is well made. My coworkers have several blade helicopters so I would like to also be able to control them, but don't want to be limited to only Spectrum if at all possible.

Thoughts?
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Using an illegal conversion module to get a product to do something it isn't supposed to do sounds like a good option to you? IMO, using original equipment is always better than using "compatible" stuff. Being limited to using only Spektrum stuff isn't really any kind of a limitation at all.

However, I have not tried that specific setup - I have tried a number of Walkera radios though, and they aren't even in the same league as the cheapest Spek radios. My impression of the 2801 is that it was laggy, lacked precision, and was hard to program. I wouldn't expect the Devo to be a whole lot better. However, people say it is.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
it's not an illegal conversion module its a firmware flash, and I run similar setups on a lot of hardware to get more bang for the buck.
old xbox is running xmbc
every wireless router I own runs DD-WRT
cell phone is flashed to run CM10
hp touchpad is dual booted to webOS and CM9
etc.
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Is it an officially licensed Spektrum product?! If it is I wasn't aware of that. Otherwise it's illegal and risky. There is a difference between everything that is possible, things that are recommended and supported by the equipment manufacturer and things which are illegal. Most mods like this fall in the grey area of "possible but probably not legal or recommended" and that's all I'm pointing out.

It's the difference between "XBMC works on XBox" and "Microsoft recommends and supports XBMC" - in one situation you're doing something morally questionable and potentially illegal. Which option do you think would give you a more reliable XBox? Running the MS-provided and approved OS, or hacking the thing?

I've done my share of hacking and I appreciate the effort, and I even think it's your right to modify stuff however you want... but if you have a problem with a DX6i, Spektrum will be providing service for that problem. If you have a problem with a hacked Devo... "guys on the internet" will be giving you the service for that problem. I know what situation I'd rather be in.

None of that has anything to do with how well it works though - you should focus on my comment about that. The fact that it might not be manufacturer supported is not very important when facing the fact that it also doesn't work very well to begin with.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Is it an officially licensed Spektrum product?! If it is I wasn't aware of that. Otherwise it's illegal and risky. There is a difference between everything that is possible, things that are recommended and supported by the equipment manufacturer and things which are illegal. Most mods like this fall in the grey area of "possible but probably not legal or recommended" and that's all I'm pointing out.

It's the difference between "XBMC works on XBox" and "Microsoft recommends and supports XBMC" - in one situation you're doing something morally questionable and potentially illegal. Which option do you think would give you a more reliable XBox? Running the MS-provided and approved OS, or hacking the thing?

I've done my share of hacking and I appreciate the effort, and I even think it's your right to modify stuff however you want... but if you have a problem with a DX6i, Spektrum will be providing service for that problem. If you have a problem with a hacked Devo... "guys on the internet" will be giving you the service for that problem. I know what situation I'd rather be in.

None of that has anything to do with how well it works though - you should focus on my comment about that. The fact that it might not be manufacturer supported is not very important when facing the fact that it also doesn't work very well to begin with.
none of the mods i've done or do are supported by the manufacturer.

it's all at your own risk and generally relies on a great community to self-support and improve.

personally I don't think it's illegal, and morally questionable, while I respect your opinion, I don't even see how you can get to that conclusion.

I know a couple of guys already with spektrum radios so I can easily check out whether something is a problem with the transmitter being spektrum vs not or if it is receiver related

it may just be some guys on the internet providing support, but as long as its not a hardware failure they tend to give the best support in my experience. They are doing this because they enjoy it and care and want others to do the same. In all my modding I've gotten faster responses from the community than ever dealing with customer support.

so it really only comes down to a question of whether or not the hardware is any good which is mainly what I would like to know from people who may have used both a devo and a spektrum
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikster View Post
so it really only comes down to a question of whether or not the hardware is any good which is mainly what I would like to know from people who may have used both a devo and a spektrum
And that's what I answered - I don't think the hardware is very good, but I'm basing that on previous models, and I pointed out that many people say the Devo fine - they say it's better than previous models, and I say that isn't saying much.

No offense, but I think you asked a kind of dumb question, and one common reason to do that is to confirm your own existing bias, but I'm not going to do that. To boil it down, your question was "Which is better, a system hacked to be compatible, or the original system" and I think the answer to that is obvious.

And yeah, while the lawsuit will probably never happen, Spektrum-compatible systems not officially licensed by Spektrum are illegal. But I don't expect the FBI to come to my door and demand I surrender my Orange receivers. At least I hope they don't, those suckers are cheap
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
No offense, but I think you asked a kind of dumb question, and one common reason to do that is to confirm your own existing bias, but I'm not going to do that. To boil it down, your question was "Which is better, a system hacked to be compatible, or the original system" and I think the answer to that is obvious.
that's only true if you assume the only thing to fly is spectrum. Which is only 1 part of the available helicopters. so it's really more is it worth it to be locked into spektrum and only spectrum, or are there other great helicopters that could be flown if you had the options.

from what i've seen and read walkera's are pretty good these days as long as you say under 300 sized. then you also have the nine eagles helicopters that can be flown plus the spectrums, and the radio can be modded to support flysky/turnigy 9x.

So its really more about options then being locked into a single companies recievers and designs. One of which is Spektrum, because I have some of those I can borrow from friends ( 2x nano cpx, 3x 120sr, 130, 450) however, I also have another friend that just ordered the nine eagles 125.

If the new hardware is comparable to an equally priced spectrum then the devo would give me the most options of things to fly. If the new hardware is more like your experience with the old hardware, more options are not a good enough benefit if you are flying more things with junk hardware.
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Well, what I do is I use Spek for stuff I care about, and if I need something else, I pick up a cheapo. That way most of my money is invested in the high quality stuff that I know will serve me well for many years.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Couchking's Avatar
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
205 Posts
I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but I noticed nobody has answered your question yet so I thought I would add my 2cents.

Although I don't own the Devo 8S, I have had the Devo 6 since Walkera first announced the new Devo series. I've owned a DX6i (briefly), a Futaba 6EX, Turnigy 9x w/ er9x, and now this Devo 6 with the Deviation firmware. Based on my experience with these radios, I can honestly say the Devo 6 is the best one I've ever owned. Mine is built well both inside and outside, the sticks are smooth as silk, and the DeviationTX firmware is pretty easy to use after a very slight learning curve. The only cons I can think of are related to the Devo 6 itself (short antenna, not enough channels, battery drain issue) and as far as I know, none of these things are an issue with the Devo 8S. Im actually considering selling my Devo 6 and upgrading to the Devo 8S myself for the extra channels and full size/range.

FWIW, with my Devo 6 running Deviation 1.1.2 I've flown my Genius CP, Mini CP, V120D02S, and Blade Nano CPx for over 200 flights in total so far and everything has worked seamlessly (knock on wood).

Hopefully this helps
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Actually your DEVO 6 has plenty of channels: with the deviation fw you can have up to 12 channels.
However you have very few controls to command them, so they can be primarily controlled by mixes...
FDR_ is online now Find More Posts by FDR_
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Hopefully this helps
it does, thanks for your input,
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
My other addiction!
norcalheli's Avatar
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikster View Post
that's only true if you assume the only thing to fly is spectrum. Which is only 1 part of the available helicopters. so it's really more is it worth it to be locked into spektrum and only spectrum, or are there other great helicopters that could be flown if you had the options.

from what i've seen and read walkera's are pretty good these days as long as you say under 300 sized. then you also have the nine eagles helicopters that can be flown plus the spectrums, and the radio can be modded to support flysky/turnigy 9x.

So its really more about options then being locked into a single companies recievers and designs. One of which is Spektrum, because I have some of those I can borrow from friends ( 2x nano cpx, 3x 120sr, 130, 450) however, I also have another friend that just ordered the nine eagles 125.

If the new hardware is comparable to an equally priced spectrum then the devo would give me the most options of things to fly. If the new hardware is more like your experience with the old hardware, more options are not a good enough benefit if you are flying more things with junk hardware.
Couple of points here: 1. Spektrum doesn't make any aircraft. No helis, no planes. So you can't get locked into only flying Spektrum cause they don't have anything to fly. Their distributor has elected to offer a number of ready to fly and bind and fly helis that use control boards that are based on the Spektrum protocol, and are compatible with Spektrum transmitters.
2. You are only locked into a specific brand of aircraft if,and only if, you will always buy and fly RTF or BNF helis and planes. If you decide to move up to the 450's, 500's, and larger, you typically buy the electronics separately, and, here's the news flash, you can buy any receiver that is compatible with your transmitter and put it in any heli kit!

So buying a Spektrum transmitter won't lock you into only flying E-Flite Blade helis. I converted one heli and built two kits before I ever owned a Blade heli. All three on Spektrum. Now I have two mSR's, and mCPx, a TRex 450, a HK 450 with a three blade scale head, a HK 500 that's going into a UH-1B fuselage, and a Swift 550. I also have three of the Parkzone planes, two were bind n fly, but the P-51 I put my own receiver in, and I have a Hobby Lobby Waco I did the same with.

So, buy the Devo because you want the challenge of flashing the firmware, buy it because you'd rather fly Walkera and Nine Eagles, but don't buy it because you don't want to get locked into only flying "Spektrum" helis. (Cause they don't exist, anyway.)
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
I'll stick to Spektrum, thanks.

I'll leave those who don't mind being left stranded on "Obsolete avenue" in 1 or 2 Years time to carry on funding Walkera.

Good luck whichever avenue you want to walk.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I would agree with the view that you should not buy a Devo transmitter if you intend to fly mainly Blade helis or helis from othe brands. There are still many unknowns with this firmware although it is rapidly moving into the "tried and tested" phase. If you do use it to control a heli from another brand, then it is best to restrict the size to 130 or below.

Concerning the Devo 8S. The color touch screen interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. But its main problem is that the screen is very difficult to read in sunlight. The screen of the Devo 12S is much better but that is not supported by the firmware. The response lag that had been previously reported for the 2801 pro was due to the protocol used. This lag is no longer significant with the new Devo protocol and nor will you see it with DSM2.

I don't think HH will be anything but happy about this development. They have only started marketing in China in 2011 and suddenly, the door has been yanked open for the masses of Walkera users there to try HH products, They would otherwise not have done so because Spektrum transmitters have a bad reputation over here and that JR is now using their own protocol. Although Blade helis may not that competitively priced over there, it has planes that Walkera does not make.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I would agree with the view that you should not buy a Devo transmitter if you intend to fly mainly Blade helis or helis from othe brands. There are still many unknowns with this firmware although it is rapidly moving into the "tried and tested" phase. If you do use it to control a heli from another brand, then it is best to restrict the size to 130 or below.

Concerning the Devo 8S. The color touch screen interface is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. But its main problem is that the screen is very difficult to read in sunlight. The screen of the Devo 12S is much better but that is not supported by the firmware. The response lag that had been previously reported for the 2801 pro was due to the protocol used. This lag is no longer significant with the new Devo protocol and nor will you see it with DSM2.

I don't think HH will be anything but happy about this development. They have only started marketing in China in 2011 and suddenly, the door has been yanked open for the masses of Walkera users there to try HH products, They would otherwise not have done so because Spektrum transmitters have a bad reputation over here and that JR is now using their own protocol. Although Blade helis may not that competitively priced over there, it has planes that Walkera does not make.
Good to know. I think that's part of the problem. I don't know what I want to fly yet except that it's the smaller ones for now.
Blade 130 or walkera v120d02s at the largest for now. The idea of trying out several smaller ones especially if I can get some variety of used ones is what interests me.
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll Poll--DX6i Vs Devo 7 TravisBean Micro Helis 21 Mar 27, 2014 02:57 PM
Discussion Mini cp with devo 8s owners pls helppppp!!!! Udonsushi Micro Helis 27 May 13, 2012 11:35 PM
Sold Devo 8s with Envelope batteries $200 shipped via PP as gift stretch1100 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Apr 04, 2012 01:29 AM
Question Mini CP with Devo 8s Binding Error miniCP Micro Helis 20 Mar 06, 2012 02:43 AM