SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
looking forward to flight reports and videos !

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:42 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I finished the rigging and only need to paint the pilot to be done with this bird.
I'm on a road trip from Florida to Maryland, so had the real pleasure of meeting Pete on his home turf just outside Washington DC. He brought part of his fleet, including the Nieuport, and I have to say that the pictures Pete has posted don't do full justice to his creations - they are beautiful!

Thanks for the visit, Pete.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,724 Posts
Any chance of video footage?
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:24 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,965 Posts
At some point when I fly with my friends I'll get some Video. There is a video on UTube of my Nieuport 25. Search Micro Nieuport-25 1-3-25-12.avi should come up.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Search Micro Nieuport-25 1-3-25-12.avi should come up.
How quickly we forget, huh Pete?

Actually, ... Pete meant to post this LINK :

Micro Nieuport-25 Video 1-3-25-12.avi (1 min 8 sec)

cough, cough...

Gene K
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Whoever is taking the video says that he is getting dizzy and Pete starts flying tighter circles.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kody,

I got 9mm from the Center of the shaft. 10mm should be fine.

[...]

Pete
On one hand, thanks for helping me. On the other, I hate you for forcing me to redraw EVERYTHING!

I'm only kidding, of course. If I designed it right from the started, I wouldn't have an issue. It's all a learning process...
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Kody,

Pete's out of town until after the Fourth, so he may not have the connections to answer you until then.

Gene K
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Kody,

Pete's out of town until after the Fourth, so he may not have the connections to answer you until then.

Gene K
Thank you very much for the heads up, Gene. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:52 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,965 Posts
I'm down in Linville NC in the Mt's love it here. I use to come down and go climbing with all the great rock down here.

No planes with me

Pete
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
I'm down in Linville NC in the Mt's love it here. I use to come down and go climbing with all the great rock down here.

No planes with me

Pete
Isn't life great when you have to choose between enjoying the mountains and flying airplanes? Rough, huh? Have fun!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
I really enjoyed this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thks for share.
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
What a wonderful build tutorial! In fact it so inspired me that I had to try it. So purchased the same Nieuport paper model and have started to build.

A few differences -- I don't have a laser printer, so I used an inkjet. I stretched the printed tissue over a cardboard frame, ala Freddie's tissue decal method and sprayed it front and back a few times with Krylon clear. I hope that will retard moisture. But it's fairly likely this plane will mainly be flown indoors in the winter anyway.

I also didn't have 2mm Depron, but I did have some insulation foam I sliced to 2 mm with my hot wire. I also had some 2mm foam plates -- but the foam is more compressed in those and guite a bit heavier, so I decided to experiment with the sliced foam.

Great instructional videos, Speedy01! I covered the two panels of the upper wing, and that went well, but now I'm at the point of joining them.

Question: I was wondering how you set the join angle on the top wing to set sweep? Also I'm guessing you didn't put dihedral in the top wing -- but correct me if that's wrong.

Also, I was looking at the graphics after the paper was on, and like you, I put the graphic with the most white (strut) dots on the upper wing surface. But thinking about it, I was wondering if that's wrong -- shouldn't those go on the lower surface of the upper wing, where the struts connect. No biggie, but just curious....

Finally, thanks once again for such a great build tutorial Speedy and Mtflyrl. Your planes look spectacular!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Oh, I wanted to pass along a tip of my own. When building a Fokker DVII last winter I discovered this. Probably not new, but new to me....

To round a leading edge in thin sheet foam, don't sand it, Use the back of your index fingernail to burnish it into shape. You can do that with the wing flat on the table, and your nail held at about 45 degrees to vertical, but I've found an even faster and easier way.

Hold your index finger and thumb like you were going to pinch something. Place second finger behind the index finger. Pick up the wing in the other hand. Slip the wing leading edge between the second finger and index finger nail. Angle the wing enough so the nail bears against the corner you want to round off. Now using light pressure between the fingers, slide your hand along the wing. That will bevel (or if repeated with the wing turned over, round) the leading edge. You can really control the pressure by feel this way. It will be far smoother than sandpaper can achieve.

Practice this on a piece of scrap, using different pressures, and you'll pick up the technique in a minute or two at most.

You can also burnish rough cut out curves (like the scallops on a Fokker's trailing edge) with the back of a fingernail held vertically. It really smooths them out. Wing tips and rounded stabilizer profiles are also easily corrected and smoothed this way.

You can also do a longer taper on the trailing edge with the wing on a table -- or for an even longer taper, use the round handle of an Xacto knife as a burnisher instead of your fingernail.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:02 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,965 Posts
Hey Vtdiy,

Thanks.

Gene is the Depron tissue covering and builder GuRu...
He's now working on ROF skins Depron designs of a D.VIII.

I don't know which of his excellent birds to fly anymore as they all look pretty darn good in the air and on the ground. I was flying my Black 6 Nieuport-11 yesterday had a great time.

Are you going to do ailerons? I did in this one. However my most recent smaller Lafayette Escadrelle Nieuport-11 I only have elevator and rudder so it requires some dihedril in the lower wing it flys great. I don't have any in the 14.5"WS Black 6 as I have ailerons it does have some dihedral also in the lower wing.

Note Gene did put a CF rod in the LE of the wings. You'll need that esp. since you don't have depron.

In building yes, the whight I think the strut marks should go on the bottom but I always just use a straight pin pushed through the foam at the center so I know where i should be on each side of the wing or whatever. I just painted over mine.
It may have been wrong on the kit the wings roundel should be your guide largest on top.

Thanks for the tip on the LE and your's is looking great so far. PM me and I can help if needed.

Pete