SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:45 AM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,363 Posts
Hmm, well it's a kit so the cross sections are in the kit.
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:20 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,859 Posts
Technically there are no cross sections. All he would have would be full cut out formers/bulheads. Cross sections would be only half the shape from the vertical center line. I had wanted to build one myself to fit my dynamax fan (127mm), would have been a good sized plane. I looked every where, there are not any cross section views to be had that I found. Even e-mailed Lockeed Martin, no luck. So lots of luck finding any.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:12 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2001
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Technically there are no cross sections. All he would have would be full cut out formers/bulheads. Cross sections would be only half the shape from the vertical center line. I had wanted to build one myself to fit my dynamax fan (127mm), would have been a good sized plane. I looked every where, there are not any cross section views to be had that I found. Even e-mailed Lockeed Martin, no luck. So lots of luck finding any.
The only way I can think of getting cross sections is to get a plastic model kit and cut it apart in slices.
Lancer512 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer512
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,859 Posts
I agree. But using slices like that does have some issues. I have done it twice, first time , as you described, cut plastic model in slices. 2nd time, just recently for my F86F build, I had used cross section views. On the plastic model, it is critical to have every thing perfectly straight and level, or sections will be distorted when you cut them. This last time, check my build thread, I used as said, cross sections, printed them out, transfer them to formica material ( cut sections with hot wire). To get the perfect or even acceptable, fuse that you hope to, IF everything is not perfectly square, level, you have little chance. Even the templates have to be symetrical, if not lopsided fuse. It can be done, if you want to take the time.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2001
53 Posts
True. I also prefer to have cross sectional drawings, but if nothing is available, as with the F-35, a plastic model would be the next choice for me.

But there is always the possibility to get the references of a bad kit with the wrong shape and dimensions. I've seen plastic modelers complaining about the fuselage being 2mm (3/32") too wide on a 1/48 scale Messerschmitt 109 model.

How can you be sure your drawing is accurate?
Often, drawings are not exactly to scale. It is amazing how drawings of the same aircraft can differ from each other with respect to shape and imaginary placed details. Especially the drawings provided by aircraft manufacturers are not even close to scale, they are simply made to show a general arrangement, and are not meant to be scale drawings.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,859 Posts
I used this PDF for mine. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2001
53 Posts
Wow! That is a really good starting point. Most drawings do not have as many cross sections.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,859 Posts
Got lucky, had been searching for one like this all over the web, without any luck. Just so happened the mrshea had started his F-86 build, just before this (that's when I got hooked on my build) a nice gentleman from Germany posted his drawing of the F-86F.

27 sections in all. 1st two are different thicknesses, but all the rest are the same. Still, I had plenty of issues with it. I started around the first part of March getting documentation, looking for section views, etc and with any luck, this weekend I should have the plug finally finished and be ready to pull a fuse from it in a week or two. All the details need to be worked out ahead of time.
Once you find section, what scale? To keep it as close to scale for intake and thrust tube for a 90mm fan, I had to enlarge it to 165% of the PDF. Because all sections overlap, needed to print out 4 seperate sets, so you can get (1) of each.
Cur out templates, transfer to counter top material( formica), cut and sand each. Make foam block, make jigs to hot wire block in slices.

I could go on, but you get my drift. It's a long process. Sloppy measurements, not acceprable. You should try it once.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Well how about that.
mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
London
Joined Jul 2007
6 Posts
Hi mshay,
Nice start to the f-35. Done any more to it?
Did you buy those plans from http://www.oakdaleaircraft.com/ ??
I found this site a couple of weeks ago, but I can't get in contact with them, and unsure if they are still running as i heard the guy that owns the site has joined the army.
Are the plans in the picture above from oakdale aircraft?
I was wondering if you still have them if I could get them off you as I cant get in touch with oakdale aircraft.
Im willing to pay money for it as i was going to buy it from that site.
Thanks for your time.
Hope to hear back soon.
Simon.
killzone is offline Find More Posts by killzone
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killzone View Post
Hi mshay,
Nice start to the f-35. Done any more to it?
Did you buy those plans from http://www.oakdaleaircraft.com/ ??
I found this site a couple of weeks ago, but I can't get in contact with them, and unsure if they are still running as i heard the guy that owns the site has joined the army.
Are the plans in the picture above from oakdale aircraft?
I was wondering if you still have them if I could get them off you as I cant get in touch with oakdale aircraft.
Im willing to pay money for it as i was going to buy it from that site.
Thanks for your time.
Hope to hear back soon.
Simon.
I sent the owner an email a few months ago and he got back to me. So he's around as far as I know. I bought the kit off a guy here on rcgroups. Oakdale has a kit that they are selling. I haven't done anything to it recently. My hangar is in a room outside joined to the house and of course the extreme hot weather here in el paso has kept me out of the hot hangar. Hopefully I can get it together before I deploy in February, or pay someone to put it together for me while I'm in Afghanistan. Thanks sir.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
London
Joined Jul 2007
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
I sent the owner an email a few months ago and he got back to me. So he's around as far as I know. I bought the kit off a guy here on rcgroups. Oakdale has a kit that they are selling. I haven't done anything to it recently. My hangar is in a room outside joined to the house and of course the extreme hot weather here in el paso has kept me out of the hot hangar. Hopefully I can get it together before I deploy in February, or pay someone to put it together for me while I'm in Afghanistan. Thanks sir.
Oh thats odd, I've been trying to get in touch with the guy but can't seem to get a reply and don't fancy risking my money on the chance that it may not ever get to me. If you understand. Can you remember the guy you bought it off? may even be a member of Oakdale. All the best for you deploy to Afghanistan. Thanks for your time. Simon.
killzone is offline Find More Posts by killzone
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killzone View Post
Oh thats odd, I've been trying to get in touch with the guy but can't seem to get a reply and don't fancy risking my money on the chance that it may not ever get to me. If you understand. Can you remember the guy you bought it off? may even be a member of Oakdale. All the best for you deploy to Afghanistan. Thanks for your time. Simon.
Let me sort through my email and I will let you know.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
So here's the progress so far. I haven't messed with it much but did this much in the past day and half. I'm near the planking portion of this plane and am intimidated by the planking. This is my very first kit I have built so obviously it shows. Any tips on planking this thing?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,088 Posts
@ Mshay

Never tried any kits myself. So i wont give ya any other info then, Your in the right place for planking info, RCgroups that is
Looks like a great start.

@killzone

I searched around i couldn't find any great sectional views of the f-35 as others has pointed out hard to come by.

I used SketchUp, and found a pretty descent model of a F-35C
Not sure of the author, but credit goes to him for the 3d model.
Heck i might have even seen this model in another topic in here.

Anyways i scaled it down to roughly something you can squeeze a 70mm into with out many problems. Catch area if i did my math right is somewhere 95-100%range.

I didn't spend much time on it so no numbers or reference lines ducting has been done. Its just sectionals, But should get you going, considering its free.

Mshay,
Sorry for the thread hijack.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet