SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2001, 12:51 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
1/12 Stormovik Conversion - Astro, Jeti, Endo?

I've decided to convert a Warbirds LTD IL-10 Stormovik to e-power. It is a 1/12 scale combat aircraft with a f-glass/kevlar fuselage and a balsa sheeted Clark Y wing, designed for a 2-cycle .20-.26 engine. Wingspan is 46" and AUW in glow trim is 46oz.

I would like it to be a strong performer, with plenty of speed and good vertical. Basically, something that can keep up with all the overpowered sport ships at the local field.

I have three thoughts on a power set-up, but my e-experience until now has been limited to 400/450 powered aircraft, so I may be totally off base.

Option 1 - Astro 05
This is the motor recommended by the manufacturer for e-conversion. According to A/F's website, the 05 is good for 200W, which puts me at the low end of the power scale. Plus, for the cost of an 05 and esc., I might as well go brushless.

Option 2 - Jeti Brushless
The price is right, but I really haven't seen a lot of performance data on the Jetis. H.L. says the 15/4 is good for sport aircraft up to 56oz.- my guess is that the Stormovik will be in the mid-50oz. range, and that performance may be marginal. The 30/3 is marketed for aircraft up to 88oz., which seems like overkill.

Option 3 - Endoplasma, geared
Now that Gary Wright has proven the worth of the geared Endo with the E3D, it seems like a very viable solution. My main concern is prop size - a 12" prop seems like way too much for this plane. The Storm. won't have gear, and a 12"er sounds like prop 'n gearbox bustin' fun. Something in the 9" range sounds more appropriate. I really have no idea what type of ratio / pinion I would need to get 35ish amps.

Any thoughts on the above power systems or personal experience with similar conversions would be appreciated. Although money is not a real concern, I'd like to keep the costs reasonable so I can afford to do some other projects - I've got my name on the long list for an E3D, and would like to do something like a 4 Star 40 conversion this winter.

Thanks all, Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2001, 02:16 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Pete, the more I look at the posts on it, the more I like hearing about the Endo choice. You could use a 12" or 13" prop if it was a folder. GWright has been experimenting with this combo as well. Pete from Model Electronic Corp. has been using the 13 X 7 Sonictronics folder for awhile now. He's had exceptional performance with it. I saw him fly his styro P-51 with it at KRC and it did a ~400 foot rolling vertical climbout right off of hand launch.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:48 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,075 Posts
I fly my scratch built 51 and jug ( both 42" span, about 260 sq,and 45 ozs ), with a MM reverse 3.5:1 MAS box and a ( not too large ) 12-10 APC.I run 10 1250 scr cells.Performance is GREAT.
Mark Ralston has his scratch built Corsair done and flying using the Endo 12-8 and 4.6 box on I think 8 cells, and performance is also great...Either way, keep it light!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:52 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
How many cells do you want to use?

The Jeti 15-4 will swing a 9 inch prop with gusto on 7 cells direct drive. More cells indicate the 30-3 (which, by the way, is about the same weight as a S600 and just a bit more than the Endo) or a 10-11 inch prop on 7-8 cells.

OTOH I think to get the performance you're talking about you'll want to go geared and swing that 12 inch prop. What would be a scale diameter for the Stormovik? A folder would make the belly landings a bit less dicey.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:24 PM
Tyler, Texas, United States
Joined May 2001
168 Posts
My Jeti 15/4 on 8 cells gives the kind of power you are talking about to a 40 oz (AUW) Electrostreak. I don't think it will work as well with a 50+ oz plane. I would go for the 30/3. It is an ounce or two heavier, but not really any more expensive, and I think you will appreciate the extra power.

Leonard
Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Leonard
Old Sep 28, 2001, 01:07 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm leaning toward the geared endo set-up with a 12"ish folder. I have 8 and 10 cell packs available, so maybe I'll just play around with props, ratios and cell counts to see what works best. I'll save the B/L motor money for another project.

I don't really know what size prop would be scale, but I mocked up the airframe, put a ruler across the nose and it looked BIG. Maybe I'm just too used to looking a 5x5's...

Mark, That's one beautiful jug, and I'm really liking the big P-51. Are plans available?

Thanks again, Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 28, 2001, 06:47 AM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Dec 2000
140 Posts
One nice advantage with the endo system is that you pull the same amps (give or take an amp) with either 8 cells and a 3.8 GB or with 10 cells and a 4.6 ratio. On my Corsair I'm using 10 cells with the 4.6 ratio and a 12x8 prop. If you want more speed another prop choice is the 11x10. Both pull ~40 amps.
I don't know what your wing area is, but my Corsair is 390 sq in with a 51" wing span. The weight is 58.5oz and even Dereck agrees that the Endo hauls my Corsair around with plenty of authority.
Mark
mralston is offline Find More Posts by mralston
Old Sep 28, 2001, 08:04 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,075 Posts
Plans are available only for the '51, the jug was a one off, built w/o plans!
$22.00 for 51 plans, they show a,b,c,d,and reno versions.
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger