SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
should be ok at 3 3/8" to 3.5" ...i used 3.5 on mine with the dynamax . for more thrust.you have to sand out the aft end to get to 3.5 .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:11 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
Greetings, using the E-turbax 122 mm fan with Nue 1521/ 1.5 Y motor with Air Sally nacelle. what should the exhaust diameter be? Is it 10 percent of FSA?
Call JHH, Larry can give you a good place to start.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
i put a turbax in "scalefan's" falcon .i had to make a little bit bigger inlet ring. and i think i used 3 3/8" on his.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
heres the latest fan to get installed in the Nacelle,a Stumax 120mm fan ,also a very nice fan .really light weight,this would move a Falcon really well.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,653 Posts
That Stu is Bad a$$ looking in there Roger!!!!!! Great Job Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
heres the latest fan to get installed in the Nacelle,a Stumax 120mm fan ,also a very nice fan .really light weight,this would move a Falcon really well.
BILLYDSRC is online now Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Really nice Rodger, I can't wait
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
I'm making a carbon fiber canopy for the falcon. It's sitting in the mold curing right now. This was more for the adventure of trying it out. I think I made a couple of mistakes but we will see how it comes out. My main concern is bubbles in the epoxy, which I should have a used a heat gun on, but I got overzealous and laid another piece of carbon fiber on. I probably should have also have used paper towels to soak up excess resin.

I did it in a kind of cool way. I made a female mold from the canopy, then I used the canopy as the male part of a compression type mold. I added some weight to the canopy and it pressed in all the detail in nicely. I decided to do it all wet, rather than lay in a tack coat, because I was concerned that once it tacked up it would be difficult to lay in carbon without messing it up.

I had a couple of issues with making a mold too. I decided to do a plaster of paris mold but in retrospect, I wish I did a resin mold. One issue I had was that the weight of the plaster can slightly deform the mold shape. You would truly need to cast a male plug first, or fill the canopy with something. All in all a good learning experience and you can truely appreciate the time and energy AirSally and other put in providing parts for us.

Irrespective of how it comes out, I will post it a pic of it for all to either laugh in amusement or wonder in awe
mnavarro is offline Find More Posts by mnavarro
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
C/F is tuff to get bubbles out ,the cloth is so lite it want to float ,and hence you get a part with a lot of pin holes .i did gel coat on the nacelles due to the sharp corners of the hatch and hatch flange,i started with just primer in the mold but i always got voids,and then had to fix them. it takes a few to get a process that works . C/F can block your rx so you need special equipment to get passed that .it is however lighter than glass ,but also cost 3 times as much ,and is harder to lay up due to it's stiffeness. thats why most guys vacuum bag or do infusion molding . please post pics so we can see how it went.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
So I decided to pull it slightly green from the mold and trim the excess and let it cure over the canopy. This was a good idea, however something happened with the mold release and the canopy fused with the underlying primer so when I pulled it out it pulled all the primer out and even parts of the plaster of the mold. I'm not certain if it was my technique or the complete sealing of it caused excess heat to completely melt through the wax/pva barrier. The part is useable but it will need a lot of finish work and have to be painted. The mold will have to be repaired. I will post a pic up a bit later.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
there is alc. in the pva so you need a epoxy primer or some type of primer that wont melt from the alc.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
So here are some pics. You can see in the first pic, there is not enough resin to create a gel coat but it definitely has potential. The underneath is somewhat irrelevant. You can see how it pulled the primer,even plaster right through my mold release barrier. Got to do something better for my next try. The canopy is extra tough. I will likely use this one, just have to finish this and try to perfect my technique.

I have to repair the mold, then I will lay down filler primer, then appliance epoxy paint. I will buy some better mold release wax and do 5-7 coats and then PVA. I think I'm also going to do epoxy coat first, let it tac up, and then do the carbon fiber. This will make for a better finish for the outside, because my the carbon weave is showing up on the outside with my current technique.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:49 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,158 Posts
i thought you had a female mold ,looks like you needed more resin or you trapped air if you squeezed it between molds
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
I used the actual canopy as a male, made a female mold from the canopy. After laying the carbon/resin into the female mold, I used the canopy with some 10lbs weight on it pressing everything down. I think with some more attempts it would come out pretty good.

I layed up two pieces of carbon, but I think one would of sufficed and it would be lighter and I think it would have made the resin coat come out nicer.

The mold is damaged enough where it would be easier to make another one. I'm thinking I might be able to repair it by using the original canopy again, smearing a light coat of plaster over it and using the original canopy to press into it again like a male.

I would have done another one by now but the mold is holding me back right now.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,653 Posts
HI All, Have a bit of bad news This is the remains of my Falcon.. It was my fault 100%.. I was showing off at the Huckfest and Splat Turbine seems to be fine Look how good AirSallys stiffeners worked not a crack of scratch on them... I do believe they saved my turbine!!
I did some math and I had 10 flights on her as a electric and over 20 hours of turbine flights. So it looks like i had well over 100 flight with her It was the best 179.00 i have ever spent
Thanks Billy D
BILLYDSRC is online now Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,694 Posts
Bummer Bill, what are you flying this weekend at Night Hawks
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini