HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:52 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
ok, here you go.... Of course i have seen a lot fancier jobs than this, but this was cheap, quick and easy. It also seems to allow for a fair amount of planes hung per square foot of wall without taking up half of the room. The hangers are from the home deeepoe....
nice!!!!!!!!!!!
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
830 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, That is a simple job. Just get a fresh Xacto and cut the hinges for the rudder and remove, then do the same for the rudder. It can be a bit of a PITA if you have to put new hinges in the same slots as the old ones, you have to do your best to cut in the with the xacto and work the glue and old hinge free. If you can simply move you hinge points over a bit it is much easier. Definitely do not use the dremel for any of this!
Thanks, need to see if I can do as good of a job on the elevator. PA has these hinged using packing tape. Plane flies perfect and i know that one little off set could screw the bird up pretty good. Looks like heavy packing tape????
Thanks,Eric
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Oh Yeah, forgot about the tape. That, I believe was there attempt to save weight on the hinges and the glue. Their idea being that instead of hinging and then taping you could just use tape. I will have to look closer at that, but sitting here on the couch I would say to cut and remove the tape. Then hinge using standard cloth type hinges, and then put some blenderm tape on the bottom half to seal the gap.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
somebody posted this up in another thread thinking about building something similar

shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:51 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
somebody posted this up in another thread thinking about building something similar

That one is easy to build, cheap, and effective. But if you need to hang some larger models (48" and up) it won't be strong enough without bracing up the horizontal arms that the planes rest on, which cuts into you "hanging space".
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
Quote:
That one is easy to build, cheap, and effective. But if you need to hang some larger models (48" and up) it won't be strong enough without bracing up the horizontal arms that the planes rest on, which cuts into you "hanging space".
i would think you could use larger pipe...then again balsa planes are much lighter than the foamies
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Yes you could experiment with some 1" pipe and see. Be sure to get Schedule 40 pipe and NOT PR200 or what they call "Thin Wall"
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:25 AM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
830 Posts
Quote:
Oh Yeah, forgot about the tape. That, I believe was there attempt to save weight on the hinges and the glue. Their idea being that instead of hinging and then taping you could just use tape. I will have to look closer at that, but sitting here on the couch I would say to cut and remove the tape. Then hinge using standard cloth type hinges, and then put some blenderm tape on the bottom half to seal the gap.
I have a bunch of cloth hinges. So you think I should just cut out some slots and replace the tape w. hinges. Sounds like a good idea.
Thanks,Eric
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Start reading here at post 2989: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post12354879

Herc tells us how to do the hinges per the factory tape style. But if you find that too difficult (does not sound easy to me unless you get help from someone with two more hands) then just use cloth hinges. If hinges then be sure to use at least three per side because the trailing edge of the horizontal stab does not have a lot of wood to glue to. Let us know how it comes out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
finally finished the repairs on my AMR. New hacker a30-14L, eflite 40A esc, new dubro spinner, new larger wheels, new motor box, and a repaired cowling (going to order a new one on my next PA order). Plane feels heavier than before though the motor is supposedly the same weight, i know the ESC is heavier but i didnt feel comfortable with the one that was in there. hopefully i will get to fly it this weekend and nothing will go wrong this time lol.

Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
More weight = more momentum = more fun tumbling!!!!! Don't worry too much about the weight after repairs, just go have a a good time !!!!
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
830 Posts
I went ahead and removed the horizontal stab. I impreesed myself as it came out pretty clean!!! LOL. started from the back and used a very thin blade and alot of scoring the epoxy. All set to put the new one on and guess what????? Open the box from PA and look at the elevator next to the stab. Anyone know if this can be fixed w/o re-hinging. Funny as I spent all that time removing the stab because i did not want to re-hinge. Do you think I should send it back for a new one???

Thanks, Eric
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,241 Posts
If you are ok to wait for a new one, yes.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,313 Posts
Nice work though....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:30 AM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
If you are ok to wait for a new one, yes.
I already emailed them last night form a call tag. That elevator would ne bugging me everytime I flew the plane.
Thanks, Eric