HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:52 PM
All times are GMT
United States, OR, Florence
Joined Mar 2004
1,075 Posts
Build Log
'"Rodent Build Thread"

Ok I said that I was going to wait till after the new years to start on my new Rodent,..I had a very hard time just letting it sit and collect dust. I decided to start with the wings first.
More to come
wackyd is offline Find More Posts by wackyd
Last edited by wackyd; Dec 24, 2005 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:16 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,597 Posts
rock n ROLL! Will you have this done in time for New Year's a Blanco? Come on, you got six days... : )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:10 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
19,914 Posts
Looking forward to this one! So cool to see all these Rodents taking wing. Woot!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Buzz Evo RTF acro glider review
Old Jan 02, 2006, 08:29 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2004
1,342 Posts
Well, any more progress! You are probably busy flying those big South winds. I'm still waiting to get bagging materials, one of these days!
Todd
My Precioussss! is offline Find More Posts by My Precioussss!
Old Jan 02, 2006, 08:40 PM
All times are GMT
Joined Mar 2004
1,075 Posts
No Todd,.. Went to the Butte this week-end,.It was rockin!! Ill get right on the build this week-end. Mike got his wings done,.They tured out very nice. Did you have a nice new years? I was in bed by 10pm. Damn Im boring
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:29 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Wasup with the build?
I'm building mine now. Have the wings sheeted with 1/32 and a layer of S glass on bias underneath. The spruce LE and tips are on and shaped, ailerons cut out (what a bear with the glass and ply...) ready to do the aileron drives and close out the aileron openings. I laid up some extra carbon in the fuse from nose to rear of wing cutout.

Any ideas on a starting poiint for the CG. It won't be hard to figure it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for input from other Rodent guiders.

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:28 AM
All times are GMT
Joined Mar 2004
1,075 Posts
Hey Andy, Ive been busy with work,.Or is it that I'm lazy. I think a little of both. I'm going to start working on the build this coming weekend. Pics to come. Can you share some photos of your Rodent? We got the "PNF"
Old Feb 05, 2006, 11:21 AM
crashed again
UK West Yorkshire
Joined Oct 2005
733 Posts
Come on Guys Let's have this build thread on, I've got a Rodent to build too. Been buisy preparing, Built a vac bag system just finished making a hot box to cure everything. next job is to try it all out before i get on with the build, so come on let ave it.
Rocket Ronnie is offline Find More Posts by Rocket Ronnie
Old Feb 05, 2006, 11:41 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyd
Hey Andy, Ive been busy with work,.Or is it that I'm lazy. I think a little of both. I'm going to start working on the build this coming weekend. Pics to come. Can you share some photos of your Rodent? We got the "PNF"
OK, I screwed up one wing half so I went to the rafter and found a replacement:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2006, 11:54 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
HA! Just kidding......

Nah, the build is going fine. I'm using the KISS method. I see Rodents as kind of a throwback to a simpler time: if I was a caveman, it would be the club that I would use to kill a sabertooth tiger with. But that is why they are so great!

Wings have LE's and tips rough shaped, 1 has ailerons cut out and the other I am cupping up with Java to go at this morning. These are the toughest skins I have ever tried to cut through, they resisted many passes with multiple new xacto blades and I finally had to razor saw through the glass substrate. Whew. Each wing will weigh about 12oz when done....Brickasarus Maximus.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2006, 12:07 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
I laid in some extra carbon cloth in the fuse....what the heck, I had it and some leftover resin. The fuse had some nice Kevlar inlays from Mr. J. Higgins handiwork. I cut strips of the bi-directional carbon cloth and 3mmed it in place before going crazy with the resin. BTW: I have a new favorite glove that I started using on this project. They are the Nitrile exam gloves called the "Intercept II" . They are available from: WWW.glovegirls.com and hold up so darn well, yet have a good sensitivity, much more resistance to chemicals than latex. They have a polymer coating on the outside so you can tear tape and work with them on

Glove girls is a local (to me) run outfit out of Bulleton and they have great service and response. Not sure if you can buy a single box, but a club could easily buy a case and distribute them out.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2006, 12:37 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
You need to be thinking about ballast provision. Lots of it.

I'll check my cg later.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:23 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Andy,
yup.
I hope to have most of the underwing center bay available for ballast. Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:41 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
I was a little restricted on mine by the rough moulding around the front wing bolt plate. (My wing mounts with two 6mm steel bolts - not one and a front dowel)
I considered a ballast tube but the cg dimension didn't allow much to go forwards. Try for 2lbs cast from slabs to fit the fuz. Mine are retained on a large bolt and drop in from the top.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Feb 05, 2006, 02:17 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
I was a little restricted on mine by the rough moulding around the front wing bolt plate. (My wing mounts with two 6mm steel bolts - not one and a front dowel)
I considered a ballast tube but the cg dimension didn't allow much to go forwards. Try for 2lbs cast from slabs to fit the fuz. Mine are retained on a large bolt and drop in from the top.
Good to hear that:
That was my plan. I have some old scuba dive weights that I will cast to fit. I can see that after I add the 1/4 ply and blind nut wing retainers it could be a little tight for pushrods to clear the ballast lump and go under the wing plates. I too was just looking at a wing ballast tube, but for the thickness (thin-ness?) of the wing, I don't think you could get enough in to make much of a difference. After just finishing a Prodiji with the ballast tube and 4 servo pallet set up, this looks a lot roomier though. What is your max AUW, if I might ask?
Thanks for the great tips...keep them coming please!
Andy
RCG Plus Member