HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:33 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
225 Posts
Discussion
Plastic backing for disser rather than glass

Hi:

Since it is the job of the backing for a disser to spread the load rather than provide strength, can I just use a different type of material for backing that is not a fabric (ie. glass) and instead use something like plastic sheeting where I just use a spray on adhesive to apply it to the foam? Or is it too elastic to be effective?

I ask because I have a roll of carbon-nylon thermoplastic prepeg that can just be glued onto and needs no wetting out and want ease of application (ie. just spray adhesive rather than wetting out fabric with epoxy)
DKNguyen is offline Find More Posts by DKNguyen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2014, 05:07 PM
Entropy Happens!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,060 Posts
I don't know what your "carbon-nylon thermoplastic prepeg" is or what it is intended for. Can you explain?
What came to mind immediately when I read your post was carbon disser under laminating film for foamies? The carbon tow would need to be wet out though.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another foam plank build...
Old Feb 17, 2014, 05:12 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
225 Posts
The carbon-nylon thermoplastic prepeg is like carbon-epoxy prepeg except instead of being thermoset it is thermoplastic. So really, it's just a film of carbon-reinforced nylon. But basically what you said, soley for ease of application.
DKNguyen is offline Find More Posts by DKNguyen