HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2014, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
...built my Paragon 12 years ago, extented the wingspan to 350cm, covered with tissue, motor was an Axi 2820/12, weight was 1900g. We had lots of fun.

Kai
http://www.vatertagsflieger.de/
Kai Thomsen is offline Find More Posts by Kai Thomsen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Hi to all!
Model: Spirit 2m
I made it.......ufffff ..... hmmmmmmmmm before 12 years a go.... I think.
I made it with extra sheet on outer panel, carbon on spar, put much smaller incidence. Also small washout on tips.
Didn't spend to much air time with it.

Also I made for it pod with 2,5cm3 motor (300gr) then new pod with 1,5cm3 motor 180gr but motor need fuel, more complicate and drag is present
I also fly spirit with hi-start....

Today I fly DLG.

I decide to use Spirit as relax sailplane and to put light motor in it.
So what I do:
For the start no motor Spirit weight 891gr ready to fly

I pull out:
Rx battery: 50gr
Nose lead weight 48gr
Cut nose balsa -8gr
Pull out big switch- 10gr
One part of canopy wood- 10 gr

Total out 126gr
Here what I put in it:
OBL motor brushless 54gr. I got that motor with E-Hawk 1500
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBGGD&P=7
ESC Thunderbird 18A-17gr
3S Lipo 800 mAh -74gr
Some balsa and fiberglass for nose modelling with 2 mm birch plywood motor holder -10gr.
prop 10x6 plus spinner 10gr
Total in 165gr

So I got electric sailplane with 40gr more weight..
I'm happy with conversion because it is almost same weight glider with ability to start much higher then Hi start and to catch thermal higher were is much stronger

Motor choice is not usual use for that size of sailplane, also and the battery.
Usualy motor weight is around 85gr for Spirit size sailplanes or even more.
But I decide to go with light equipment

On the field Spirit go up really nice, not with high up angle (about 35-40 degree) but very enough to catch altitude.
I'm sure I will fly my Spirit more often.
Hook for Hi start is still on it!!!

I like new tech sailplane look but it is really interesting to go out with some older glider and to enjoy in slow circling with e older, more tolerant airfoils

Best
boris
vigli is offline Find More Posts by vigli
Last edited by vigli; Mar 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
9 Posts
I have an old Balsa U.S.A Nomad I would like to convert. 100" wingspan, all balsa, weighs in at around 35 oz. empty. Rudder elevator only.
Any suggestions re. power, folding prop, etc. Real floater.
Thanks Barry
prairie boy is offline Find More Posts by prairie boy
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
My 25-year-old Tower Hobbies "Easy Breezy," a 2 meter floater.

My "electric hi-start" consists of a 450 motor, 9x7.5 prop, and 3S battery. I also replaced the old 72MHz radio with a DX8.

New DX8, Old Sailplane (0 min 47 sec)
Gandalf223 is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf223
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:04 AM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
297 Posts
Nomad

Barry

I am working rebuilding one now... I am planning on keeping it a pure glider but, am planning on making another wing with less dihedral and ailerons for aero-towing...
As for electric options....
A general rule of thumb is 75 to 100 watts per pound depending on your desired performance... I would think an outrunner with a 10 - 11" prop using a common 3 cell 2200 battery pack would fit without too much surgery! One thing I have noticed is if the plane is overpowered it will want to loop under power due to the large lifting wing surface. I have been setting the planes up with less power and using down thrust. As a last resort mixing down elevator with motor power will also work...

Also you can do a search for conversions of other 100" gliders for power options...

Post some pics with your progress.
Roger
rfk is online now Find More Posts by rfk
Old Mar 31, 2014, 07:55 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,461 Posts
I like this thread.

My first glider was a Spirit. Flew great but rarely sees the sky anymore. I have moved on to composites like the Supra on the winch so, for the Spirit to fly I would have to decide that I am pulling it out for old time's sake. You really have to tap lightly on the winch. I like it better off the hi-start but I just don't do that much anymore.

Meanwhile my Radian gets lots of air time because it is quick and easy to assemble and launch. No concern about breaking the spar on the winch.

I may pop a light motor into the old Spirit and get it back into the sky.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr