Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Help!
Etiquette/safety of parkflying with xtal radio

Hello,

I've been out of RC planes for about 10 years now, but I still have my radio gear and everything needed to set up a Slow Stick. I want to buy one and fly it at the soccer field in my neighborhood. However, I know enough about RC planes to know that I could shoot someone's plane down, so I'm afraid to even turn my Tx on.

When I quit RC, the spread-spectrum radios were just coming on the market. By chance have those caught on to the extent that I will be ok busting out my old Futaba? How can I go about coordinating a safe time for flying? Has anybody made a real-time internet app for smartphones or whatever for this kind of need?
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:48 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Crystal Tx's have become much less of a problem with the explosion of 2.4.
Ask around and see if you have a conflict with your frequency.
A clue would be to look for a long antenna, all 2.4s have short ones.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
When I fly at the park or school, I look for another flyer and if I see one, I go ask him what his channel is.
Plus, I fly the Berg rx, that locks on to my channel, so if some else is on the same channel, I'll still be in control.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
TRB
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
Quote:
Ask around and see if you have a conflict with your frequency.
Who would I ask?
Quote:
When I fly at the park or school, I look for another flyer and if I see one, I go ask him what his channel is.
So you assume if nobody is in visual range, you are safe to fly? I was told that radios can have a range of miles.

I understand the chances are very low that someone within range will be flying at the same time as me and on the same channel, but it could happen, and I'd hate someone to get hurt. I guess 'don't worry about it too much' is what I'm hearing.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravon View Post
Who would I ask?

So you assume if nobody is in visual range, you are safe to fly? I was told that radios can have a range of miles.

I understand the chances are very low that someone within range will be flying at the same time as me and on the same channel, but it could happen, and I'd hate someone to get hurt. I guess 'don't worry about it too much' is what I'm hearing.
I'd say if you can't see a plane you won't interfere with it. The receivers tend to respond to the strongest signal. They say under ideal conditions a Tx will have about a mile range.

If your Futaba has a module you can easily convert it to 2.4 Ghz and not worry.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
our frequencies do not go around or thru buildings. They do not push thru clumps of trees well. They are pretty much line of sight.

IF someone is already on your frequency..........You can check by simply turning on your reciever. It will track his signals faithfully...........That is all you can do.

Remember to turn on your receiver & transmitter & do a collapsed antenna range check. Plane controls follow O K ? You are cleared to.... EXTEND THE ANTENNA COMPLETLY..........& fly

Welcome back.

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Hold the plane firmly above your head. That does increase the receivers range . any servo or motor moves is a problem.

Could be a defective cell phone tower out of FCC regs.
A trucker with a + 1,000 watt booster operating badly.
Nearby airplane or airport with defective RF transmitters. DIY people turning adjustments themselves trying to boost distance. & actully making it less by overdriving the unit.

75 and did or know of many screwups.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,996 Posts
The answer is buy the frequency scanner

For 80 at tower hobbies get 72mhz scanner and turn it on before you fly

Doesn't prevent mid flight interference, but watch it on times you don't fly, see if you ever detect your signal from someone else

I've never had it happen on 72 in my city for ten yrs
Got lucky, looking for wood to knock on
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,996 Posts
Im pretty sure the reason is because most people leave the city to fly

Park flying on 72 is rare most want the short antennas of 2.4

my slowstick is my primary flyer, you picked a good platform.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:56 AM
TRB
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
I didn't know they had frequency scanners! I probably won't buy one but that's really cool. Better to spend money on 2.4 instead.

I only want to get a slow stick because that's what I had before, and I remember them being like $40. If there are other choices in under-$50 parkflyers, I would welcome suggestions. I'm just looking for something I can take to the soccer field and get the RC fever out of my system.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
436 Posts
I doubt you should even worry about it, it's 2012 everyone is on 2.4ghz who still uses old radios!
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I only use crystal Hitecs & Futabas...........never a problem.........only guy on my frequencies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,051 Posts
It's not an irrational fear but it's mostly unwarranted. I'm still on 72MHz and have gone from needing to check to not having to even bother the vast majority of time.
Almost all I ever see is short antenna TX (2.4).

If you can't see anyone else flying, not a high likelihood you will actually affect them. The plane will respond to the stronger signal even on the same channel.

If you have a need to fly really far away it could complicate things a bit if there are other likely sites you could end up flying closer to.

Note - most 'kids toys' are 27MHz. Even the majority of basic trainers seem to have gone to 2.4.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver