HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
780 Posts
I will be watching this thread! Great boat and you have some talented guys posting on your thread. Frankg, Russelltate and Patmat as well as poltergiest are some of the best in the field... you are in good hands!
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
You know what, not only did all the guys you mentioned and a few more get me to order and try this build but they have also saved me from mistakes. Everything in the builds, not only helped with ideas but also enabled me to correct silly looking things that are in the kit.( seats) I would like to add more ideas but these guys already have answered just about everything. It is just some of the smaller questions I hope to answer, like cost to build and hours etc...
Speaking of the seats....oh my carving them out for the servo and motor was brutal. Guess I could use more tools. I used the dremel to do it.
I used Krylon clear coat on the cockpit panels. It was horrible, really bad. Not even close to being even. I wet sanded them and that is how they will stay.
Sherry1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sherry1969
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:01 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry1969 View Post
You know what, not only did all the guys you mentioned and a few more get me to order and try this build but they have also saved me from mistakes. Everything in the builds, not only helped with ideas but also enabled me to correct silly looking things that are in the kit.( seats) I would like to add more ideas but these guys already have answered just about everything. It is just some of the smaller questions I hope to answer, like cost to build and hours etc...
Speaking of the seats....oh my carving them out for the servo and motor was brutal. Guess I could use more tools. I used the dremel to do it.
I used Krylon clear coat on the cockpit panels. It was horrible, really bad. Not even close to being even. I wet sanded them and that is how they will stay.
Yep those same guys helped me too! I am presently building the same boat. Going into my 2nd year on the build! I had similar issues with the cockpit panels and found a way to fix the "rivers and valleys" and uneven finish... Let the stain dry well, then do a couple coats of epoxy resin. I sanded the coats down to about 400 grit and then applied the clear coat. Then sanded down to 400 grit and then a final coat of clear sanded down to 2000. they look sweet now! I am glad I went this route because it got me familiar with working the finish on the actual hull.

And about the cost to actualy finish the boat... That can vary... I personaly sunk another grand into the boat purchasing things like an electroplating kit, lights, sound gold leaf, and lots of other odds and ends... All worth it... Best wishes on your build!

Mike-A
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Has anyone used East System epoxy resin? Seems easier and just slightly cheaper for me to access.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Hi Guys
Could use a little help. The instructions say to not glue in the rear floor as it needs to be removable? How is it suppose to be removable through that opening??? I seen where some one made it hinged but that was a mod. I don't have the top all glued on yet so I am able to install it. Tried putting it through the opening but that don't seem to work.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:02 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
780 Posts
Sherry, not sure I see the logic in that step... once you glue in the cockpit sides you will be securing the floor in place... I just went ahead and glued this in. And as far as the "east systems" epoxy... I am sure just about any well known epoxy would work fine... Just stay away from the stuff that has a dark color to it. It will slightly change the color of your wood... I used a generic hobby epoxy and it worked VERY well...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Thanks Mike....Had to change my profile,,,don't want to be called Sherry anymore LOL.
Troy1967 is offline Find More Posts by Troy1967
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
I like Sherry.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:25 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
I like Sherry.
So do I. Especially a nice glass of Amontillado.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Too funny,

Planked sides and back tonight. I used gorilla super glue with accelerator...worked very well.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,325 Posts
Moving along fast.

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
It has been two weeks today. I am not putting in Mods like some guys here so that is probably why I am faster. I am very one track minded when it comes to modeling and that usually will get my complete focus until I am done. My poor wife LOL.
I am buying the East system resin, 834A hardener and Interlux Reducer 2316N
For those in Canada I am getting it at Marine Outfitters (was Pride Marine) It will cost me $80.20 with tax for all three.
I have spent approx $100.00 in glue, sanding paper...etc since I started. The gap filling CA is wasted money IMO. The Gorrilla super glue is the same price but you get way more in a bottle. As long as you use the accellerator it works the same. The CA I bought was Bob Smith...It works well just extreamly small amouts in a bottle. At work so I have to use this account...Damn
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
780 Posts
Looking good! I can smell the mahogony and kicker right now.... Ahhhh... the things dreams are made of...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
OMG.....Seriously... Just glue plastic to edge of P4 all the way around!!! What this should say is get glue everywhere, glue your hand to the bench and cover the mahogany in glue!
Next step glue two pieces of mahogany together with the plastic in the middle...as soon as I read this I grabbed a beer and went to watch TV.

Not liking this at all, tried thin glue and the medium. Medium is too thick and the thin runs everywhere. Guess I will read all the builds again for tips but from what I remember no one indicated this is pain to do?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Used thin CA for the plastic and gorilla super glue for the planks.. Not as straight as I would have liked it but not bad enough to redo.