HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
130 Posts
The whole reason I got into this hobby is to eventually fly one of these jets.
I can't believe there are no quality companies make jets like this. They are obviously in demand.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
Glad I read this. I had the big F-22 in my cart to order but had seconds thoughts and decided to do a thorough search here. Typical BH BS. I only ever get bare airframes when they drop to cheap prices. Just a hunk of foam and they don't care. Had a similar incident a couple years back with a geared twin motored model. First flight one of the gearboxes locked up in a turn about 25 feet up. Instantly rolled over and went in. There was not enough alt to recover. Got nowhere with them. Airframes only.

Hey BH-- You lost a sale. (Like they care)
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Props
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
The whole reason I got into this hobby is to eventually fly one of these jets.
I can't believe there are no quality companies make jets like this. They are obviously in demand.
I been doing ALOT of research on edf's since receiving my kit. It really seams to come down to foam does not go 100+MPH happily. There are several specialty builders that build in fiberglass and composits that sell wonderful edf's; however, they are gonna cost you. These jets cost $1k to $5k, and up, for the airframe only!

I have also seen a few fiberglass edf's that looked good enough; I am currently looking at Projet's models for a new home for the electronics I put into my Banana Hobby F-22 when it wears out.

Also keep in mind, high quality companies take a very long time to bring models to market, due to better engineering and real testing. Electric rc flight has really only gone mainstream popular in the past couple years, due to the fast evolution of electronics and batteries. Two years ago my club had only a few electric piolots, most of which were flying gliders. Now my club is about 50/50 glow/electric. I agree the demand is there! I am willing to bet Horizon Hobby has some cool edf's in the works right now, just gotta wait. Just don't expect a full function F-22 for $400 that is made with top of the line components and well engineered!

Have fun and don't get discouraged. If those are what got you into this hobby, never loose that dream, but have fun with what is here now till then.
TheMissingCard is offline Find More Posts by TheMissingCard
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,773 Posts
I would have been happy with an airframe replacement.
Since I have most of the electronics from the crashed F-22.
But since they blamed it on me, this thread will live on...
wingspan100 is online now Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:29 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
They blamed me for my heli taking off for no apparent reason and crashing BEFORE I could even get a chance to test fly it. The transmitter wouldn't bind to the heli. All of the sudden, the thing took off and without a transmitter, I was helpless to do anything. It crashed and broke apart into many pieces. Then the PCB and batteries burned out. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the blades.

The last email I sent to a tech called Jimmy was that I suggest they send me a new one as I paid $250 for that thing. Apparently they're ignoring this request as I haven't heard from them in about 3 weeks. Even after I resent another tech request.

I'll NEVER do business with these frauds again!
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2007
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw62 View Post
They blamed me for my heli taking off for no apparent reason and crashing BEFORE I could even get a chance to test fly it. The transmitter wouldn't bind to the heli. All of the sudden, the thing took off and without a transmitter, I was helpless to do anything. It crashed and broke apart into many pieces. Then the PCB and batteries burned out. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the blades.

The last email I sent to a tech called Jimmy was that I suggest they send me a new one as I paid $250 for that thing. Apparently they're ignoring this request as I haven't heard from them in about 3 weeks. Even after I resent another tech request.

I'll NEVER do business with these frauds again!
Sorry to hear you were treated so badly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,771 Posts
What state is BH in? Call the attorney general maybe? Ive always wanted a f-22... No way after thread after thread about poor service..
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
They're in California. It's a hard one to win becuase they state on their agreement that if anything happens to the device while in your custody, unless it is determined by BH that it was a defective device, you're basically S.O.L.

From my experience, and from what I've read on here and elsewhere, they don't easily admit it's a faulty device. And they definitely don't work with you to make your experience a good one.

Basically because they have only email from tech support, if they don't want to get in touch with you, again you're S.O.L. Which is what happened to me. They made their decision and are now blowing me off.
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
130 Posts
I can't believe there are no other companies selling these jets.
There is obviously a demand for them.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
i read how bad they were. gave them the benefit of the doubt. will never buy from them again.
yeom is offline Find More Posts by yeom
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
They sell junk. Nothing but.
foam and plastic.
What do you expect?
DHjets is offline Find More Posts by DHjets
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:26 PM
The solution for phone privacy
United States, OK
Joined Aug 2003
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
We are talking plastic elevator axles. This is clearly a design flaw.
FlyFly uses metal for their full flying stabs.
I would not expect my elevators to come flying off in flight would you?
I would have to agree that the material was not up to the job. I get squeemish if they were aluminum tubing like Hobbypeoples offering of a few years back.

Figure you have to look their stuff over and do a few "engineering upgrades"... While for a $400 kit you should not have too and for $400 it should not be made out of EPS either.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
I would have to agree that the material was not up to the job. I get squeemish if they were aluminum tubing like Hobbypeoples offering of a few years back.

Figure you have to look their stuff over and do a few "engineering upgrades"... While for a $400 kit you should not have too and for $400 it should not be made out of EPS either.
I agree totally! I could have accepted doing the engineering upgrades had there
been some type of service bulletin or noticed attached to the kit.
But sadly there wasn't. Therefore I had no way of knowing plastic axles alone would fail.
Thanks Banana Hobby for the great service! (very sarcastic)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:32 AM
The solution for phone privacy
United States, OK
Joined Aug 2003
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
I agree totally! I could have accepted doing the engineering upgrades had there
been some type of service bulletin or noticed attached to the kit.
But sadly there wasn't. Therefore I had no way of knowing plastic axles alone would fail.
Thanks Banana Hobby for the great service! (very sarcastic)
I look at EPS as maybe the $50 kit material, It's cheap, breaks and I only use it when making a few prototypes or something for myself... I could not go over $30 on a wing made of it...

But for a large scale foamie that I'm not selling to someone else, that's just for me and if it has a problem it's my problem and no one elses I use it here and there.

For that kind of money I would expect it to be at least made of EPO or ELAPOR...
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:10 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
1,933 Posts
I feel for you Wingspan100.
Obvious design flaw!

When ever i buy these cheap Chinese styrofoam kits, it is a rule of thumb "for me" to tear it all apart and double check everything. glues/pivots/servos/etc...........
We all know why we save a few 100$ on these kits, the lack of quality,testing, documentation,etc... Other wise we would be paying e-flite, Park zone pricing....
And i bet they would have sent you out a new air frame, but then you would have paid 2x the amount if there name was on it.

In short its up to the consumer to QC the products, at these pricing.

What im driving at here,

If I would have seen non-reinforced plastic pivot tube, on a what 5 lb+ air frame?
It would have been the first thing i modded!
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member