HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 05:37 AM
USA, NC, Earl
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Discussion
Need someone to build kit for me.

I have seen adds in the past where guys would build your kit , for a price, just not finding a lot of them now.
I dont do kits, I crash too much to see all my hard work turned into toothpicks.

My nephew has gotten into the hobby and pick up a kit, but would like to hire someone to build it for him.
Here is the kit he pick up from a older flyer who bought it in the 90's.
Any recommendations for a competent, but not overpriced, builder for hire ? Would prefer someone in the southeast, VA, NC, SC, TN , even better.
Here is the kit.
nova50073 is offline Find More Posts by nova50073
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,192 Posts
I've built several balsa kits, and a few foam scratch builds. I'm not replying to offer to build the kit. I think the problem you may run into is price. The last balsa kit I built took me about 4 months spending 6 hours a day working on it. These days I don't have 6 hours a day to build.

Why doesn't your nephew care to build it? Is this his first plane? When it crashes he will have to repair it, no matter if someone else builds it or he does. The benefit of him building it outright is he will be able to effect the repairs.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
Fly fast, turn left
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
I would not build that kit for $1000. It's a good kit, it's a nice bird, but lots of hours involved. If it's your nephew's first plane, lifespan will be measured in seconds. Neat, sharp looks, looks great in the air, but it's an experts bird and very fast.

Your nephew should build it himself, that way he learns what goes into building something.

Cheers
Greybeard01 is offline Find More Posts by Greybeard01
Old May 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
42 Posts
Hello Nova,
This would be my advice. I'd try to find someone local to build it for you. Try to contact a local club to see if anyone would be interested. While you will gain a wealth of information from folks on this forum, the problem would be shipping the plane back to you, at least in my opinion. It's makes no sense to have someone put in a lot of time and effort only to see the plane bashed up by a shipping company. Either that or why don't both of you work on the kit? I've built a bunch of planes over the years and I find that part of the hobby to be extremely rewarding. Good luck whatever way you go.
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old May 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,857 Posts
I've been building stuff for years, in the long ago past sometimes for money but not any more. The time involved is considerable and damn few want to pay for that time. Occasionally someone in a financial bind will do it for less just to get something to build. Fortunately, I'm not in that much of a financial bind.
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old May 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts
Any guesses how long it would take to build that to stand-off scale for a decent builder? I know my little sport planes take at least 40 hours. 120 for the TP Mustang? More? Don't they make that as an ARF, too?
8KCAB is offline Find More Posts by 8KCAB
Old May 24, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,759 Posts
I don't know if I qualify as a "decent" builder, but I spent 4 years on my Stuka. My Cessna 195 took 2 1/2 years. Both are standoff scale.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 24, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,558 Posts
I was one of the club builders,until 10 years ago,when I just had to quit.

My main reason for leaving was ARFs.You could buy an ARF and fly in a week,and no one understood how or why a kit could take months.

Times change, but nobody'll pay any more. They'll go on strike at work,to get more money,but they want to pay less of it for a quality job.

There'll be at least 100 hours in that airplane,and even at only $10 an hour,thats $1000 dollars.And that 100 hours doesn't mean you'll have it in 2-1/2 weeks,but that's the way people think.

You still have to buy $500 in materials to finish it.Retracts,,tank,radio,paint.
Covering material-engine.If you don't build,yourself,ARFs are a much better option.

Look in the FS/W ads and that size/style plane is going for $300 built,used.It's just impossible to build it for that.

Sorry-I wish I could.But I've changed my building system now. I build an airplane I really want to build,then put it up for sale-no contracts to fulfill-no time frame to finish within-no "But you said-"
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
98 Posts
Then you have the issue of liability. You build that plane perfectly. Then that new pilot takes it and smashes it to bits in 10 seconds. Then the new pilot says YOU didn't build it right, and demands all his money back. A no win situation.
Jake
Sonsight is online now Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old May 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I don't know if I qualify as a "decent" builder, but I spent 4 years on my Stuka. My Cessna 195 took 2 1/2 years. Both are standoff scale.
Looks like your a lot better than 'decent'. Nice planes.

With building, I figure whatever the components needed cost divided by the time to build equals the price I pay per hour for entertainment. It's a lot cheaper than going to the movies.
8KCAB is offline Find More Posts by 8KCAB
Old May 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCAB View Post
Looks like your a lot better than 'decent'. Nice planes.

With building, I figure whatever the components needed cost divided by the time to build equals the price I pay per hour for entertainment. It's a lot cheaper than going to the movies.
Yeah no traffic,bad weather, or people talking over the movie.only thing is I'm making about 24 cents an hour.
It's gotta be a labor of love.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsight View Post
Then you have the issue of liability. You build that plane perfectly. Then that new pilot takes it and smashes it to bits in 10 seconds. Then the new pilot says YOU didn't build it right, and demands all his money back. A no win situation.
Jake
I test flew my full build sales,and made videos for posterity.Mine were all LPU though,and generally witnessed by club members.
I did have a guy inspect one once for about an hour,until he found a screw loose in the battery box......so I tightened the screw and sold it to someone else.That's when I quit.
I know the screws have to be tight,but still ....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 02:09 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I test flew my full build sales,and made videos for posterity.Mine were all LPU though,and generally witnessed by club members.
I did have a guy inspect one once for about an hour,until he found a screw loose in the battery box......so I tightened the screw and sold it to someone else.That's when I quit.
I know the screws have to be tight,but still ....
There are so many 'loose screws' these days
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsight View Post
Jake

Some where i saw a fellow in england was building as a full time occupation lucky bugger. But he did everuthing from a flat foamie to 1/3 scale. He always offered to maiden a plane but got you to sign a waver saying that it wasnt his fault if it crashes. He also offeres lessons to beginners for their first plane also. He will do everything from building to plane from three views to installing the radio gear in an arf.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old May 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
USA, NC, Earl
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Thanks guys,for the quick and honest reply's.
My nephew is going to keep the kit, I just wanted him to read what you guys had to say about it , and see the realities of kit building.
He is 23, and just graduated college , so he is just starting life.
He can already fly better than me , and he says he wants to build it someday, and I think he will. . . someday.
Besides, eyes got one of dim used TF,p-51B with my satio 100 in it, that I am going to give him anyway, he can fly it, and or crash it, and save the other one.
I love warbirds,I just cant fly-um so good, they is real twitchy for a reason.

Quote:
Look in the FS/W ads and that size/style plane is going for $300 built,used.It's just impossible to build it for that.
I agree 100% with this statement, when you build something, be it Harley chopper, hot rod car, or kit RC airplane, and you try to sell it, you only get 1/2 the $ back that you spent on parts, and no $ for your time.
nova50073 is offline Find More Posts by nova50073