HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Cool
Foam Wal-Mart Glider converted to EDF flyer

It might not be a 100% scratch built foamie, but I converted a glider I bought from Walmart to a ducted fan R/C plane, and I thought I might post some pics of it before I crash

It's supposed to be a Russian spy plane, so I gave er a white/gray paint job.

Specs
-2x 55mm EDFs
-1x 7.2V 1800mAh LiPo Batt
-560g altogether

looks like 200-300g of thrust at half power, so I hope it'll fly..
Any comments / suggestions ?
AC130 is offline Find More Posts by AC130
Last edited by AC130; Jan 30, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Looks fun!

I hope you get a video of the maiden flight! I have been looking for an EDF glider project and glad you posted this. I like how you mounted the EDF's on the bottom. I think it looks better than being top mounted as I've seen on a few converted gliders. It seems like it would be more stable with a lower CG mounted as you have them. Hope to see a flight vid soon!
gainking is offline Find More Posts by gainking
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
"Push the button, Max!"
Joined Feb 2006
17 Posts
Cool! Kind of like a Russian version of a U-2!

Fate
Professor Fate is offline Find More Posts by Professor Fate
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
That's an incredible idea! How much did the glider cost by itself?
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
As soon as the rain passes over here, I'll go out to fly it, so expect a video soon !
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
That's an incredible idea! How much did the glider cost by itself?
Thanks! The glider alone cost a little less than $10
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:02 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate View Post
Cool! Kind of like a Russian version of a U-2!

Fate
Exactly my thought.
Coolest Wally glider conversion Ive seen.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Thrust to weight ratio?

I did I small test down my street to see if this thing was gonna fly, and it was not going to,, I thought it might be a balance issue so I braced the battery on top of the wing section to try it out. After that about half way down the road it would all of the sudden decide to shoot straight up into the air, I responded by cutting the power and watching it float down to a hard landing. The plane weighs about 570g now, and gives 250g thrust at half power. Is a 0.44 Thrust/Weight ratio to little, or could it be a balance issue?
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
It is tail heavy. Mount the battery forward and try again. The ideal thing to do would have been to find the cg of the glider before you started modding it. Either which way, move the battery forward till it balances.

Now to check if it is balanced, you need to toss it without power. Once you get a good glide, mark the cg. Then apply power. If it decides to pitch in any direction, you have a thrust line issue.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:48 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
It is tail heavy. Mount the battery forward and try again. The ideal thing to do would have been to find the cg of the glider before you started modding it. Either which way, move the battery forward till it balances.

Now to check if it is balanced, you need to toss it without power. Once you get a good glide, mark the cg. Then apply power. If it decides to pitch in any direction, you have a thrust line issue.
Yup, sounds tail heavy. I have a glider exactly like that I'm planning to convert to RC. I just checked its CG and it's about 4 1/4" back from the wing leading edge.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
The original model was very tail heavy, where it would glide into a stall, so I made sure to move the CG up when balancing it. But it wouldnt take off nose heavy, so I moved the battery backwards, and as I said it shot straight up haha, I'll have to do some toss tests then , thanks
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post

I thought about this, and because the way it was acting I think the rear wheels were too far back. I guess the elevator didn't get enough leverage to pitch the nose up, so I moved the wheels forward some more, and did another test run down my street. The main wings bent upwards and the wheels left the ground for a second, before I crashed into a lawn still all here though ! So if anyone is planning on doing something like this, make sure the plane pretty much falls back on it's tail when the battery is not present.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:29 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
The nose is pointed down, nose gear to short, or mains to long. Usually you want some positive angle of attack on the wing for take off.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2008
77 Posts
These gliders make fantastic trainers. I build mine with a GWS IPS 2 servos, add dihedral and go! When you get tired of learning to fly, go soaring or do some loops.
Spamman127 is offline Find More Posts by Spamman127
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
First flight strays left

Flew this thing today, but it seems to be having some issues when it gets itself in the air. Even with max right aileron it doesn't respond and goes into a left bank, resulting in a minor crash. Should I add a rudder? Maybe the ailerons are too small? Or is this a thrust issue? Thanks for your responses

Video