HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:15 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,624 Posts
Discussion
BNF First 4 Channel Options - Micro?

What options are there for a first 4 channel BNF micro? Is the P51 really the only "first step" on the micro side?

Currently have an Ember 2 and EzFly foamie and looking to get a 4 channel I can easily use with DX6i

Would like a micro due to the space I have to fly. But trying to decide what way to go, ot go with a T28 or the new Wildcat since micro might be a bit touchy.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:44 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
I flew the sukhoi original as a first 4 channel micro. It needed modifications but they were cheap and easy. I crashed it so many times, since it was my first 4 channel but all the damage was foam so gorilla glue could fix it. The airplane was durable, the only parts I needed to buy were gorilla glue and more batteries. Eventhough the sukhoi was designed for experienced pilots, it is light enough to survive nasty crashes. Since the ORIGINAL sukhoi is ugly compared to the p-51 you wouldn't mind scratching it or destroying it. After you master the sukhoi (remember to fly on grass) any other BNF airplane would be very easy to fly. I bought the sukhoi when it first came out, now they are only $65 compared to $100 at horizonhobby.com.

Thats my 2 cents.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Last edited by Cheese5; Jul 08, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:40 AM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I flew the sukhoi original as a first 4 channel micro. It needed modifications but they were cheap and easy. I crashed it so many times, since it was my first 4 channel but all the damage was foam so gorilla glue could fix it. The airplane was durable, the only parts I needed to buy were gorilla glue and more batteries. Eventhough the sukhoi was designed for experienced pilots, it is light enough to survive nasty crashes. Since the sukhoi is ugly compared to the p-51 you wouldn't mind scratching it or destroying it. After you master the sukhoi (remember to fly on grass) any other BNF airplane would be very easy to fly. I bought the sukhoi when it first came out, now they are only $65 compared to $100 at horizonhobby.com.

Thats my 2 cents.
It's true that the Sukhoi is very durable, however I feel it may be too twitchy and unstable for a first 4 channel plane. It's doable (it WAS my first 4 channel), but only if one is very comfortable with the basics of flying. I personally would spend the extra money on the P-51.

First off, it too is quite durable. I crashed mine full throttle, straight into the (asphalt!) ground, and aside from a minor crease on the wingtip, and dent in the body, it was fine. Also, with the Sukhoi I don't think you learn to use rudder fully. In my experiences, adding rudder into turns has made it unstable at times, and I ended up just using rudder for stall turns, or weird looking rolls. The P-51 rudder can be used for the latter, and is useful, but not necessary, for turning. The P-51 turned without rudder tends to nose out of a turn, but it still completes the turn OK. By incorporating rudder, you can then tighten or open turns accordingly. The 4th channel feels truly useful on the P-51, but is still not so critical that a first time 4ch flier won't know what to do.

Only thing I'd recommend for the P-51 is to get it larger batteries, from 160-240mah. The stock ones aren't good, and provide maybe 3-4 minutes of flight. The stock Sukhoi battery works a bit better, at 4.5 minutes of flight, but the Sukhoi feels underpowered with the stock setup. I'd recommend micro to you because due to their low mass, they tend to not cause much damage to themselves in a crash. However, be sure you have either reliable times where there is no wind, or a large indoor flying area.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:40 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,624 Posts
Mu understanding is the P51 is a bit easier to fly than the Sukhoi hence why it was my first thought, and they are bascially the same price.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:42 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
It's true that the Sukhoi is very durable, however I feel it may be too twitchy and unstable for a first 4 channel plane. It's doable (it WAS my first 4 channel), but only if one is very comfortable with the basics of flying. I personally would spend the extra money on the P-51.

First off, it too is quite durable. I crashed mine full throttle, straight into the (asphalt!) ground, and aside from a minor crease on the wingtip, and dent in the body, it was fine. Also, with the Sukhoi I don't think you learn to use rudder fully. In my experiences, adding rudder into turns has made it unstable at times, and I ended up just using rudder for stall turns, or weird looking rolls. The P-51 rudder can be used for the latter, and is useful, but not necessary, for turning. The P-51 turned without rudder tends to nose out of a turn, but it still completes the turn OK. By incorporating rudder, you can then tighten or open turns accordingly. The 4th channel feels truly useful on the P-51, but is still not so critical that a first time 4ch flier won't know what to do.

Only thing I'd recommend for the P-51 is to get it larger batteries, from 160-240mah. The stock ones aren't good, and provide maybe 3-4 minutes of flight. The stock Sukhoi battery works a bit better, at 4.5 minutes of flight, but the Sukhoi feels underpowered with the stock setup.
Thanks. I have lots of 120-160 batteries from my mSR and Ember so that would work fine I think.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:50 AM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Thanks. I have lots of 120-160 batteries from my mSR and Ember so that would work fine I think.
The 160 ones should, but with the 120's, it really depends on their C rating. P-51 stock batteries are 14C, and that isn't enough. The smaller ones are really sensitive to the cold. When it was 40 degrees, I got essentially no flight time with the small batteries, but still got a timed 14 minutes with my 240mah batteries.

In hot weather, the small batteries perform well, but again, short flights.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:09 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
The micro p-51 is a good flyer, but only thing I don't like about the P-51 is the fragile spinner. A light crash into a dirt field would flatten the spinner to almost half its size. In my opinion the p-51 looks beautiful and would be a heart breaker for me to break it. Some parts that would be handy are extra spinners(horizonhobby has them in a set of 2 for $4) and a glue for foam just in case the airplane loses signal and smashes in the ground(which has happened to me)
Last edited by Cheese5; Jul 08, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,624 Posts
Does it require foam safe CA or will normal CA work fine on the micros from Parkzone?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Does it require foam safe CA or will normal CA work fine on the micros from Parkzone?
Normal CA will melt it. For repairs, a good foam glue like UHU por works much better than CA.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
What options are there for a first 4 channel BNF micro? Is the P51 really the only "first step" on the micro side?

Currently have an Ember 2 and EzFly foamie and looking to get a 4 channel I can easily use with DX6i

Would like a micro due to the space I have to fly. But trying to decide what way to go, ot go with a T28 or the new Wildcat since micro might be a bit touchy.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
If the winds are calm, the Mustang is a pretty easy to fly 4 channel.

For the first few flights, put expo in the Aileron and elevator so you don't over control it and just fly it. It should just take off and fly great, right out of the box.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 08, 2010, 05:36 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:

Thoughts/Suggestions?
The Mustang isn't a good first four-channel. Yes, it's harder to overcontrol than the Sukhoi is, but it has its own peculiar bad habits that don't recommend it to a novice flier. You'd be much better served just getting the T-28. Its size alone makes it much less twitchy. Once you've learned how to fly the Trojan, you will have learned the light control touch (and, more importantly, the rudder-handling skills,) needed to fly the Mustang.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:08 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!

Quote:
I flew the sukhoi original as a first 4 channel micro. It needed modifications but they were cheap and easy. I crashed it so many times, since it was my first 4 channel but all the damage was foam so gorilla glue could fix it. The airplane was durable, the only parts I needed to buy were gorilla glue and more batteries. Eventhough the sukhoi was designed for experienced pilots, it is light enough to survive nasty crashes. Since the sukhoi is ugly compared to the p-51 you wouldn't mind scratching it or destroying it. After you master the sukhoi (remember to fly on grass) any other BNF airplane would be very easy to fly. I bought the sukhoi when it first came out, now they are only $65 compared to $100 at horizonhobby.com.

Thats my 2 cents.

"Since the sukhoi is ugly compared to the p-51"

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Sorry RCBABBEL I ment the original one, you know the plain white one.not the new shiney one.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:59 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Sorry RCBABBEL I ment the original one, you know the plain white one.not the new shiney one.

I know it well.
rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
The Mustang isn't a good first four-channel. Yes, it's harder to overcontrol than the Sukhoi is, but it has its own peculiar bad habits that don't recommend it to a novice flier. You'd be much better served just getting the T-28. Its size alone makes it much less twitchy. Once you've learned how to fly the Trojan, you will have learned the light control touch (and, more importantly, the rudder-handling skills,) needed to fly the Mustang.
True if you have an unlimited budget and a place to fly a large plane. The P-51 isn't that hard, especially coming from a 3 channel micro. I was able to do it. The P-51 is relatively cheap, and all the replacement parts are available. If it gets a bad crash, a new a-la-carte airframe is only about $30-40., but most soft crashes are non-issue. just take it easy and wait for no wind to maiden.

Even experienced pilots wreck these and T-28's beyond costless repair
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind