Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
14,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
I had some spare Pico Moth parts so I thought I'd make a FrankenMoth. I'm using a Pico moth fuse and tail feathers with 2 stock brushed motors. The wing is from a GWS cub I think? I did a glide test with the plane without motors and the CG figured out and it floated into the wind very nice. I hope to see if it will fly under power tomorrow.

It might even get above 25 feet?
Never! I own that airspace! lol Just a thought here... that plane is so light, and both motors are turning the same directions I wonder if it will be too much torque and roll it.over. It's a good idea.... but you'll never reach 25 ft with it!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by scotty909
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
624 Posts
I did a test flight yesterday and the Frankenmoth only made it to about 15 feet up before it banked to the right. I cut the throttle and it floated down to the ground.
Buzz, You were right about the props rotating the same way. I was thinking the same thing but I thought with the small motors it wouldn't make much difference. I've reversed polarity on one of the motors and ordered a couple of counter rotating props.
it looks like it will be next week to see if Frankenmoth will reach 25 ft.
scotty909 is online now Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
14,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
I did a test flight yesterday and the Frankenmoth only made it to about 15 feet up before it banked to the right. I cut the throttle and it floated down to the ground.
Buzz, You were right about the props rotating the same way. I was thinking the same thing but I thought with the small motors it wouldn't make much difference. I've reversed polarity on one of the motors and ordered a couple of counter rotating props.
it looks like it will be next week to see if Frankenmoth will reach 25 ft.
That's what I was afraid of. This happened to a Cessna 310 taking off locally.
He made his run down the run way but when he rotated and got off the ground one engine quit running and the entire airplane flipped upside down and killed everyone on board. Please let us know what happens.
Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz