Old Mar 27, 2015, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,935 Posts
Discussion
Tamiya's 40EX Yamaha

I don't expect this topic to be a widely followed thread, if for no other reason than there are very few of these boats around. Sadly, the Tamiya 40EX never enjoyed the popularity of it's big brother, the Yamaha Round the World.

I know of a few guys that have one of these boats and thought it might be good to have a place to archive information for other owners who might find their way to this forum at some point, that might have good information and/or stories to share.

So, I guess in a way this is an "out reach" of sorts to see what interest is out there if any. So, I invite owners to post pictures, comments suggestions, tech information, anything that relates and may be of interest to those of us fortunate enough to have one of these little pearls.

I have posted some of the photos I have collected and archived over the years of the original factory packaging and the contents of the kit as it came from Tamiya back in the mid 90's and of a few completed models. The 40EX is a replica of a Benteau - similar to the ones pictured below.

Here is some information from Tamiya about the 40EX Model # 56204
Tamiya 1/20th scale - YAMAHA 40EX reproduces the Benteau's elegant styling and performance in a 1/20 scale R/C replica.
Overall : length - 600mm = 23.62"
Overall width - 194mm = 7.63"
Overall height - 1110mm = 43.7"
Mast height - 810mm = 31.89"
Sail area - 16.8d meter square -
One - piece blow molded ABS plastic hull -
Spin cloth sail -
Aluminum mast and booms -
Requires : 2 channel radio system
2 servo

This should get the ball rolling. Please jump in. Questions are welcome!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 27, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:12 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,935 Posts
Here are a couple of videos I found on Youtube of the 40EX that provide a nice view of the boat in action.
You can see the sail trim needs some work on the boat with the onboard camera, but still a nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMskPcWXaiI

yamaha 40 ex rc yacht 1 2 bft (4 min 50 sec)
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 27, 2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,633 Posts
One of the reasons I don't do RC sailing is my feeling that there are not many scale sailboats available, at least with the level of detail and devotion Tamiya would give to the subject. Considering myself fairly well informed, I did not know this kit existed--or more broadly, that Tamiya does sailboats.

That's a very nice looking boat. I'll give you a question to answer here then; what's the history of this boat?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:58 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
One of the reasons I don't do RC sailing is my feeling that there are not many scale sailboats available, at least with the level of detail and devotion Tamiya would give to the subject. Considering myself fairly well informed, I did not know this kit existed--or more broadly, that Tamiya does sailboats.

That's a very nice looking boat. I'll give you a question to answer here then; what's the history of this boat?
Not a lot of people outside of RC Sailors are aware that Tamiya in years past produced at least three different RC sailboats in the nineties. The best known of the three is the Yamaha Round the World # 56202. For information on this boat go to this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...463901&page=41
(Anything anyone would ever want to know about them can be found there.)

The Yamaha RTW #56202 and 40EX #56204 were produced and sold in the early and mid nineties. The larger boat is a replica of the 1994 winner of the Whitbread Round the World race. (now known as the Volvo RTW) The RTW was heavily promoted at the time of that race. The link I provided has all the details - so there is no need to repost them here.

The 40EX #56204 was released shortly thereafter, as best I can tell. I was not involved in the hobby at that time. The Innovator #56205 a 36" boat was produced a few years later according to my contact at Tamiya. I don't think they were a big success either as they are extremely rare as well.

My contact at Tamiya suggests their boat's prices were much higher than similar models produced by Kyosho, which he felt limited their success. Tamiya's boats were designed as 1/20th scale models of full sized racing and/or pleasure yachts. The Tamiya sailboat kits were well made, with machined like tolerances.

As I mentioned in my first post the 40EX is a replica of a nineties vintage Beneteau. I am not sure of the exact Beneteau model, however, the pictures posted give you a idea of how true to the full size boats with their models.

All three were discontinued in the nineties and have become sought after collector items - Anyone wanting one will likely have to monitor the web, E-bay and RC forums faithfully in order to snag one when one is posted for sale. They come up from time to time. They go pretty fast, so being alert can pay off.

Hope this information addresses your question.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by KIWINB
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
213 Posts
One for sale in New Zealand, NZ$200 to start, no reserve. Radio included.
Listing http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models...-863969726.htm
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:04 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,935 Posts
KIWINB
Looks pretty good. Missing the pulpit and stanchions - a handy hobbyist could fabricate the missing parts. There are several on line Hobby Shops that sell stanchions. If anyone needs those links let me know.

The pulpit and stanchions and life lines on this boat adds to the realistic appearance of the boat. (My opinion) What do you think?

Nice to have them in rough seas on full size yachts!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 28, 2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 01:34 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
213 Posts
Having just bought a Seawind for NZ$275, management would NOT be impressed if I bought the 40EX., no matter how nice it looks.
I have a Micro Magic, a Victoria, an ETNZ, a Sparrow RG65, and a couple of Footies plus a couple of Tugs and a RC converted Titanic, 700mm long.
I'll probably sell the ETNZ, (earn some credits with management). I moved the mast forward by 30mm and trimmed the main leech by 25mm, sails nicely now. A very badly balanced boat in stock form.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
109 Posts
As bad as me with how many boats you own kiwiNB - they are taking our house over too! Sorry to drift of topic, but may I please ask what glue you used to join your micro magic together? Also, what method did you use - how did you hold it together, and get it joining together right? Currently building one, but gluing the hull and deck together is proving a challenge. Thanks
Waikiwi is online now Find More Posts by Waikiwi
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:13 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
213 Posts
Mine was already made when I bought it, no idea what glues he used. Probably thin and thick CA.I had to repair a leak at the stern where the deck meets the hull and another along the side, I used thinned Araldite for the repairs. All ok now.
I use a HX5010 sail servo 6Kg torque. and Hitec HS65hb for the rudder.
Just use plenty of tape to hold the two parts of the hull together while the glue sets up.
Great little boat.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by pert
Bermuda, Hamilton
Joined Jan 2013
286 Posts
Thanks for all the help Bommer1, I was lucky to find one of these a few weeks back , new in box, I had the full size one a few years back, this model looks just like the real one, working on stopping water getting in hatch, hope to have that fixed today, and some light wind, Bommer could you post one of those pictures of mine for me, I still dont know how to post pic, thanks
pert is online now Find More Posts by pert
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:33 AM
Find More Posts by pert
Bermuda, Hamilton
Joined Jan 2013
286 Posts
I think I done it
pert is online now Find More Posts by pert
Old Mar 29, 2015, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by Predator_
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
Hi guys it's really nice to see interest in the Yamaha 40ex.
Kiwinb you should snap the 40 ex up from trade me. It will be money in the bank budd.
Predator_ is offline Find More Posts by Predator_
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Predator_
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
40ex next to her big sister. RTW

My pride in joys Boomer, in glass Cabinet.
Predator_ is offline Find More Posts by Predator_
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:25 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,935 Posts
Pretator
You are truly among the most fortunate of people. A man with three Yamaha RTW's and crews of each one! OMG, and a 40EX to boot! You must have friends in high places for sure!
I am truly impressed!! Words fail me. You are living large for sure
Boomer
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,588 Posts
I love scale looks, but on the other hand, details on deck can also interfere with the sheet lines. So I prefer the Micro Magic, which from a distance still looks like a real boat, considering the hull shape, unlike some other boats, that have extra fins at the front to prevent nose dive, or other changes to the hull that you would not normally find on a real boat.

But still a Seawind, or a Yamaha boat does look appealing, though if I want to go the scale route again with sailing, I owe it to my Wedico Saudade to get it back to active duty again first.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of various boats