New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
3,276 Posts
Send them a letter and sign an NDA and you probably get the information and are not allowed to disclose it. Or find it out yourself and do whatever you want with it
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by mikejr83
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennes View Post
@mikejr83: Did you get the specification from Spektrum?
I haven't had time to sit down and write a letter, etc., etc. Two kids, wife does triathlons, building a plane, and contest season, makes this a bit lower on the priority list. There is a big break in my time after the 15th of June that should allow me to get into working on my software projects. Heck, I still need to get our club's website up!

Edit:
That said, I have a working prototype. Check the thread I linked and you can get my source. I'm working on some charting issues that are preventing a full beta release.
mikejr83 is online now Find More Posts by mikejr83
Old May 27, 2015, 05:00 PM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Just another thought now that I had sec to think about the situation. Yes I plan on trying to get official docs from Spektrum, however, that may preclude me from open sourcing the app. I don't know how I feel about that. Obviously if I'm using community resources to make the app I'm going to make sure the community gets back in kind. Now I'm not doing this to make money so I don't know if a closed source app would make sense to me. I don't have time to put in supporting a paid app as I feel it would need to be.
Old May 27, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,594 Posts
You obviously can't open source code that you developed under an NDA.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 27, 2015, 05:43 PM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You obviously can't open source code that you developed under an NDA.

Andy
Exactly what I was saying. I didn't assume that an NDA was going to happen. If it is required then I don't know if I could develop an app using that information.
Old May 29, 2015, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
3,276 Posts
Have a look in the DYI section thread started by me about making your own telemetry sensors. I have documented a lot sensors there. Tha data is quite the same in the tlm file.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726960
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old May 29, 2015, 06:10 AM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Have a look in the DYI section thread started by me about making your own telemetry sensors. I have documented a lot sensors there. Tha data is quite the same in the tlm file.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726960
I've been heavily relying on that thread! I'm working on consolidating the information into one document over on the Github project. Thanks for your work on that! I actually may pm you as I have some questions regarding the values spit out by some of the sensors.
Old May 30, 2015, 04:16 AM
Find More Posts by Hennes
Joined Jan 2015
17 Posts
I opened a new Thread with my thoughts about Spektrum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2424378

@mikejr83:
Thanks for your open source development! I am probably writing a viewer using Gnuplot ( http://www.gnuplot.info ). And I will open-source it on github. I'm not sure yet if I'll use Java or C, but if I use Java, I'll help you with your library. In C it would be probably easier and much faster to read the data from the binary source.
Hennes is offline Find More Posts by Hennes
Old Jun 01, 2015, 08:09 AM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
UPDATE on a unified doc:

While on an early call this morning I was able to condense more of the post information regarding the head and data blocks into my unified document. https://github.com/mikejr83/TLMReade.../byteFormat.md Please review, add comments, or ask questions!
Old Jun 01, 2015, 02:18 PM
Joined Jan 2015
17 Posts
Thanks a lot for the work!

I started some C code hacking. Until now, I found out that "If 5 and 6 is equal then it is header Data" is wrong. If you get the data of the post #24, there both model nr and model type are 0x00.

Also, if you start and stop quickly, there is no data at all, so there are two header sections following each other. That means it is not possible to use the order of the headers. I attached a file from my plane.

In "Sensor type enabled", I got also the value 0x17 which is missing in the list. In all data files I tested by now, it is the last "Supplemental Header Block". May be this value is an identification that the header data is finished. I implemented it like this and it seams to work.

In my data, Model Type = 0x02 means Glider.
Last edited by Hennes; Jun 01, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2015, 02:25 PM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the work!

I started some C code hacking. Until now, I found out that "If 5 and 6 is equal then it is header Data" is wrong. If you get the data of the post #24, there both model nr and model type are 0x00.
Quote:
In my data, Model Type = 0x02 means Glider.
Hennes,

Open up an account on GitHub. It's free. You can "fork" my project, change the files, and submit a request for me to pull them into the source. It will be easier to do this than sifting through a ton of forum posts.

PM me and we can setup a chat or something. I'd like to discuss some thoughts I have of building a library for other languages (I'm going to want to have something ready for Objective C).
Old Jun 01, 2015, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2015
17 Posts
I got already a github account and I'm using it for other projects. Just the code of this one is not yet there. I'll fork yours and create a pull request for the changes!

I'm working on a converter from tlm to csv in C code. I'm using structs to describe the data, then you just set a pointer to the right position and decoding is nearly done. These pointers are stored in a linked list.

When the CSV's are created, plotting using gnuplot should be easy. And after just a few days and the help of open source, it should be running!

My first draft hast just 0.1s to convert the 5.3MB sized TLM from post 36 to 10MB of debug text! Header decoding and header/data splitting works already quite good.

For me, it's already late, we'll see tomorrow or so!
Old Jun 01, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2013
467 Posts
Quote:
My first draft hast just 0.1s to convert the 5.3MB sized TLM from post 36 to 10MB of debug text! Header decoding and header/data splitting works already quite good.!
10MB is nice. My library -> POCO -> JSON is ~60MB. It's crashing the Android WebView that I'm using. I have to cut down the size a bit... The "easy" way wasn't going to cut it
Old Jun 01, 2015, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2015
17 Posts
So, my project is also on github:
https://github.com/hdiethelm/tlm_reader
Old Jun 02, 2015, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2015
17 Posts
I downloaded nearly every TLM file in this thread, so I got some testing data: https://github.com/hdiethelm/tlm_rea...aster/tlm_data

Feel free to use it, to help add more data and to complete the "??" fields in the readme!

Sometimes, I got the data type filed = 0x00, for example in POST_113.TLM or POST_124.TLM. But it's normaly just a few times. Someone know what this means?

In POST_517_1.TLM, I got eaven 0x21. Propably this is a transmission error from telemetry?

POST_144.TLM and POST_153.TLM have a quite strange header... Someone know more about this?