HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:38 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
IMO you should use manual focus. That's the point of finding the hyperfocal distance, to keep the maximum range of in focus area. If you use auto focus, your focus will search. If you have something close in the frame that is not in the center of the image, then auto focus will focus on the background, making your foreground out of focus. You can set hyperfocal distance to have everything beyond 5 feet in focus - just like the fixed lens GoPro, only it's a much better camera.
Using the rational that once you set hyperfocal, you don't have to worry about it. Wouldn't autofocus work like this as well if everything in my frame is a 100+ feet away? I've seen issues when I turned the shutter on and I'm a few feet off the ground, but resetting it once at desired altitude cleared it right up.

I have tried it both ways... but usually just leave on auto as it works and I don't have to think about it
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
394 Posts
testing

http://youtu.be/vG5uexdeD1E
ChrisDangerPants is offline Find More Posts by ChrisDangerPants
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:45 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
678 Posts
For Still - Auto Focus + ISO 400 + Shutter priority set to 1/250th to 1/500th sec + Aperture would be around 7-13 range depending on sunlight. Best to shoot Bracketing mode and RAW - get at least 3 exposure for each shot.

For Video - Aperture priority should be considered + ISO 400 and let the shutter work out itself + Manual focus (always) + AWB or Manual white balance.
GoProAirRecon is offline Find More Posts by GoProAirRecon
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:04 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
235 Posts
I personally wouldn't use AWB, as then your color will be shifting around like a GoPro. Don't let machines make your cinematic decisions for you. And as for Auto focus Hellsiege, I just wouldn't do it. The focus does search sometimes, and when that happens you have blown that half second of the shot. What if you had a perfect 10 seconds of the shot you've been trying to get, but right then the focus searches for a moment? You'll have to do it over. Or worse, you won't notice until you got home. Maybe it's not important when you're just having fun, but when you are trying to be specific and get a shot exactly as the director wants it, you don't want anything left to chance IMO.
Chadfish is offline Find More Posts by Chadfish
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:23 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
I personally wouldn't use AWB, as then your color will be shifting around like a GoPro. Don't let machines make your cinematic decisions for you. And as for Auto focus Hellsiege, I just wouldn't do it. The focus does search sometimes, and when that happens you have blown that half second of the shot. What if you had a perfect 10 seconds of the shot you've been trying to get, but right then the focus searches for a moment? You'll have to do it over. Or worse, you won't notice until you got home. Maybe it's not important when you're just having fun, but when you are trying to be specific and get a shot exactly as the director wants it, you don't want anything left to chance IMO.
agree! manual focus is best for video and auto focus for still either shooting through time lapse or IR remote.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:45 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,085 Posts
Manual on all situations... Autofocus personally interferes with my ir shutter and what Chad said.
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:29 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panos2408 View Post
Plug your ir on your receiver on a 3 way switch preferably. Place the IR shutter somewhere close to your camera where the IR shutter and the ir sensor of your camera are in line of sight.
If it doesn't work try lowering the EPA of the channel that the ir shutter is plugged on on your receiver. You should eventually hit the sweet spot. Here's a more detailed video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMJk...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for the video. Very informative. Where is a good online source for the IR board?

Thanks
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:08 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,085 Posts
I don't know that since i am using the gentled which i bought directl from their website. The item ships from Scotland.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2013
143 Posts
hey guys... how do you export the file in premiere? im getting jittery footage after exporting, although it looks good in premier preview...

thanks for the help
karlomatuguinas is offline Find More Posts by karlomatuguinas
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:09 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
678 Posts
I use the nex on this gimbal..
ARRIS Zhayoun 3 axis gimbal 360 Yaw n Pitch Demo and Modes Test (4 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:45 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlomatuguinas View Post
hey guys... how do you export the file in premiere? im getting jittery footage after exporting, although it looks good in premier preview...

thanks for the help
You can use h.264 or quicktime. I personally use flv for streaming purposes and the other 2 for preserving quality
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:09 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
678 Posts
Can anyone suggest the best way go set the infinite or hyperfocal focus on sony e-mount lens, specially the 16mm f2.8 pancake lens?

Right now , i am autofocusing to the farthest object in a landscape and turning it to manual.

My recent try..
Last edited by GoProAirRecon; Mar 29, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 04:49 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,085 Posts
use focus peaking feature it works fine for me. The focus though on this lens is very soft so don't expect any miracles.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
678 Posts
Omaru Jeep Adventure Park with ARRIS M680 and DJI F550 (4 min 12 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2014, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2013
50 Posts
Here is my 2cents with nex5n, still figuring the best setting out... http://vimeo.com/vladoportos/smolenice
vladoportos is offline Find More Posts by vladoportos