HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 09:08 AM
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
606 Posts
Discussion
Flying wing for testing automated flight

I am currently working to test and learn Pixhawk with APM and mission planner for a larger project, but, I want to use a low cost, efficient, flier that can handle a small payload (The Pixhawk, GPS, and eventually a small camera) for some learning and testing.

I think the Flying wing is the best solution since I am just looking to stay at low altitudes and keep it in a fairly small area (Park size).

I would like to find a product that comes with the servo's and motor so I can just drop in the Rx (I use a taranis), Pixhawk, and fly.

(I am a Heli guy for my Hobby so I have an Icharger 308duo)

Just looking for some recommendations as I am very new to RC Planes.

Thank you!
Jman841 is offline Find More Posts by Jman841
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2015, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2013
606 Posts
I am looking at this:

http://www.valuehobby.com/review/pro.../category/184/

Or the smaller version:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...-wing-pnp.html

Do you think the smaller version will be sufficent or the larger one will be better for stability and future payloads?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:22 PM
Joined Apr 2013
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841 View Post
I am looking at this:

http://www.valuehobby.com/review/pro.../category/184/

Or the smaller version:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...-wing-pnp.html

Do you think the smaller version will be sufficent or the larger one will be better for stability and future payloads?
When comparing those two particular planes, the larger is certainly better. There's lots of reasons why, but here's a couple:
1, The larger is nearly double the span and will be much easier to see for LOS.
2. Larger will almost certainly mean more efficient (planes operate better at higher Reynolds number and lower wing loading).
3. Larger plane will allow larger payload.

Having said all that, I think a simple twin boom pusher or even a super simple large delta is much better for a first time FPV plane pilot. And if you scratch build it, it will be a lot easier to repair when you crash (you know you'll crash, don't you?).
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:39 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,135 Posts
here are some that I am working on, they can take a hit due to them being EPP. EPO is just junk next to this stuff.

SweepWings Juggernaut and a Brief Evolution of my UAV Aerial Mapping Tests (5 min 15 sec)

http://sweepwings.com/
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841 View Post
I am currently working to test and learn Pixhawk with APM and mission planner for a larger project, but, I want to use a low cost, efficient, flier that can handle a small payload (The Pixhawk, GPS, and eventually a small camera) for some learning and testing.

I think the Flying wing is the best solution since I am just looking to stay at low altitudes and keep it in a fairly small area (Park size).

I would like to find a product that comes with the servo's and motor so I can just drop in the Rx (I use a taranis), Pixhawk, and fly.

(I am a Heli guy for my Hobby so I have an Icharger 308duo)

Just looking for some recommendations as I am very new to RC Planes.

Thank you!
The Phantom FX-61 is a good choice for what your looking to do. Thats what I'm running with an APM and a Canon SX260. I bought the same kit mentioned above. The only modifications, I made was printing an extension for my motor and added a folding prop. The extension (I posted it on thingiverse.com) helped to balance the weight out with the camera in the front. I get about 45 minutes on one 3s 5200mah in "auto" mode (ArduPilot does an amazing job at throttle management) . I've also added "rails" to protect the camera portal when landing.
I don't know much about the Juggernaut, but something that could take a beating would be a plus. I fly in construction sites and often have rough terrain to land on (hence the reason for the rails).
flying buddha is offline Find More Posts by flying buddha
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:33 PM
Joined Dec 2013
606 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I forgot I posted this thread in here!

Today I maidened the FX-61 with just the Rx controlling it to learn how to fly a airplane. I choose an incredibly windy day to do it, which helped a lot with take off, but, made controlling it much more interesting.

This was my first time flying a plane, but, I found it incredibly easy as I come from 3D heli's which are much more difficult to fly. All in all, besides a few rolls from some strong side winds, it went very well. I was most worried about landing, but it was surprisinly much easier than I expected. Just glided right in and landed perfectly on the black plastic buttons on the bottom.

Over all, I think this will be a great platform on less windy days to learn pixhawk on! Just waiting for it to arrive to set it up for that. Hopefully get some more manual flying time before hand as well. I guess i'll just be flyign heli's until the wind dies down though.

That EPP wing looks awesome. I did not know the difference between EPO and EPP before I ordered, if I could do it again I would go for EPP.

As recommended in the FPV Thread I got some APC 10x7 props, laminated the wing, got much better servos, and will use CF rods for control arms instead of the stock ones once I get Pixhawk setup. I didn't realize how little stress is on the servo's on a plane and got ones that are a little bit on the side of overkill with an ESC that has a very powerful BEC as I had the heli mentality where we need very powerful servos and BEC's for heavy 3D flight.

Tons of fun learning something new! Can't wait to learn APM! Seems very cool and capable!

Rubnorris... Just looked up that wing... $450! holy cow!
Last edited by Jman841; Jan 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
@jman841 if you havent done so already check out the FX-61 group over on DIYdrones.com. You can get a starting parameter file to use in the Pixhawk. I got mine from there and then ran "Auto Tune"....and it was pretty much dialed in.
flying buddha is offline Find More Posts by flying buddha
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:38 PM
Joined Dec 2013
606 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'll do that! Do you have a link directly to it by chance? I find the forum there very hard to navigate or search.
Last edited by Jman841; Jan 28, 2015 at 08:24 PM.