HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2003, 03:18 AM
dont push me.......I roll
oklahoma..the new and improved windy state!
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
P51...which gear to choose??

hey,i just got a GWS P51 and im in the process of putting it together.i havnt yet purchased the transmitter and gear and all..what would be a good alternative to get this puppy in the air?what would be a good combo of a flight pack and transmitter or whatever.thanks for your insight and info! i really apprecialte it.
bassplay is offline Find More Posts by bassplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2003, 08:57 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Bass:
The cheapest way to go is to get the GWS Flight Package, you basically get the GWS Transmitter & the Naro/Pico Flight Pack or check out the Hitec Focus III FM Flight packages at Hobby Lobby. I think you can pick up the GWS for around $100 & probably the Focus for maybe $125.
I just bought a GWS Transmitter for $30 at Balsa Products, it's not as nice as my Futaba Conquest but it seems to work fine & I like that it uses Regular Alkaline AA Batteries, the Conquest has a rechargeable Pack that seems to only last about a year & then you gotta pay thru the nose for another transmitter pack.

-Just my two cents-

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Feb 22, 2003, 09:02 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
I'd suggest HiTec HS-55 servos. I bought a Hitec single stick setup with two HS-55's. Very reasonable. But it depends on if you want 4 channel control. I have not installed rudder control on either of my two P-51's, nor do I put the landing gear on. If you want the full four channel control, I'd go with the Hitec 4 channel set-up. In FM. But all the manufacturers offer similar set-ups. Most important is the servo size and weight. You don't need a five or 6 channel reciever. Just more weight. I have never owned any of the GWS radio gear so I can't comment on that.
I would stay away from the limited range recievers. They may be fine for parkflyers etc., but if you ever build a sailplane or (god forbid) a slimer, you'll need a full range receiver. It's far cheaper to buy a complete radio - tx, rx, servos with nicads than the parts separately.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Feb 22, 2003, 09:22 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
These is nothing wrong with the GWS R4-P & R4-N/R-6N Limited Range Receivers, I have (4) R4-P's & just ordered (1) R6-N, I have never had a problem with them & they are Cheap & Light. I however would NEVER consider using them with a Slimer, those are for Dual Conversion only.
As far as the Servos, I use HS-55's in my Duskstik & they are great servos! However, don't discount the GWS Pico's, I have had real good luck with those too & they are smaller & lighter than the HS-55's & about the same money! If weight is critical, I'd get the Pico Servo.

P.S. - Servocity.com has good deals on HS55's & Free Shipping to boot! You can order Pico Servos from Radicalrc.com & only $2 shipping charge.

-Good Luck-

-Mike-
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:56 AM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Of course you are going to get as many opinions as there are people here.

2nd the HS-55s. There may be equal servos but these have a great rep and have worked well for me.

RX- I liike the Hitec 555 too but it is heavy. Hobby People is selling the new Electron for $50 now, which is lighter. I just ordered an FMA Direct "Extreme 5" as a 2nd RX (before too long I will have 4 planes with 2 RXs to move among them). It's only $45 for a .4 oz dual-conversion RX.
E-Pylet is offline Find More Posts by E-Pylet
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:21 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
" I just ordered an FMA Direct "Extreme 5" as a 2nd RX (before too long I will have 4 planes with 2 RXs to move among them). It's only $45 for a .4 oz dual-conversion RX."

Where did you find this for $45?

FMA's site has them at $69.

Thanks,

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:37 AM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
gear for a p51

I don't own a gws p51.
sux to be me eh?
I have considered getting one...and if I did..this is what I would put in it.

1. best transmitter u can afford....i am in this hobby for the long haul and I get really frustrated when I have to keep trim settings in memory....ummm....this plane was setup with a lil up trim..and a little left aileron..or was that right..hmm center it for now.....hand launch...oops...forgot i had v-tail mix on....ouch....

so I recommend at least a cheap computer radio like the hitec flash 5. you can get just the tx at www.servocity.com or look around u might be able to get it elsewhere....reason i said just the tx...is somehow no one has a nice parkflyer combo..with a nice tx...and rx..and small servos...seems like i always have to put my own pack together. I hate buying stuff i'll never use like rx batteries...rx pack switches....humongous rx's that can't even fit into my parky....

2. lightest rx I can afford....either the gws pico or naro 4 channel rx's...choose the pico if u r concerned about weight and want the lightest...choose the nano if you are concerned about range....I personally have flown with pico rx's and have had no problems....Guapoman and the Orlando flyers are always concerned about getting hits because they live in a metro area...if u have a similar situation....get a light dual conversion rx....

3. lightest servos....never used the hitec 50 or 55 because i thought they were over priced....I actually have 3 different pairs of micro servos that i've been using for a while....expert sl260?..something like that....fma s80's....and gws pico stds...I'd get the bb if I could....the gws's are the cheapest of the three i have...the lightest..and they seem to work just as good. for the mustang....I'd only use 2 servos....1 for elevator....and 1 for ailerons....I'm a bit concerned about all that plane having 1 pico servo for ailerons....3 total servos with 1 on each aileron might be an option I'd consider(hey then i get to use my flaperon mix on that computer radio i bought)

4. use the stock motor at first...but consider getting a better gearbox like the mpjet gearbox....or do something with the timing...or even move to a brushless system like the astro flight 010 w/gws gearbox eventually

5. on the stock system run 8 cell 720mah nimhs.

6. get at least a 15 amp speed controller....I know the 300c will run on the gws 2amp controller.....yeah....when u really wanna fly on a budget try just about anything....(i know i'm addicted)...but do yourself a favor and get a decent setup.

7. fly off grass and forget about wheels...reinforce the bellypan a little to take the rough landings.

hmmm...did i miss anything?....i'll check back laterz to see if i did.
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
ok i want something cheap....pretty light servos,and ...oh yea....ok im thinking about the GWS pack..at my LHS they sell the flight pack for 90 and it comes with the servos (little big but will work)and everything else except ESP....thats only like 24 bucks.and from what yall said u can get the GWS transmitter for around 100..so if i went with that deal id be looking at about 220 dollers...would that be a good setup to go with?and if i bought another plane would i be able to use the transmitter for my next plane?im kinda new to all of this stuff,electronics is where my downfall is..i really need some help.heres a pic of how my plane is coming along..stayed up ALL night working on it...and still working on it.this is my first plane that requires building...
Old Feb 22, 2003, 02:15 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
Recommended equipment:

Hitech HS 55s, buy in bulk for around 20$ ea

Hitech 555 good low weight dual conversion Rx, if you fly in a hi RF area stay away from single conversion Rx (ex JR). I like the look of the M5 Rx from FMA but have no exp with it. GWS has a dual conversion, but I have no exp with it either.

Computer radio, min 5 channel, in the long run a much better investment

Controller for the GWS mustang I have used a 10amp great planes, also castle creations, and GWS have good reps.

Battery, Most have had good results using a 8 cell 720 Nimh, GWS sells these, as does Micro Aero and others.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Feb 22, 2003, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
407 Posts
hey......

if you would be nice enough id REALLY appreciate it if you told me what to get and the price of it ALL and a link of where to get it.this would really help me out a whole lot!!!all i need is something i can use in the future and thats cheap.thanks a billion for you help.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaninMilwaukee
" I just ordered an FMA Direct "Extreme 5" as a 2nd RX (before too long I will have 4 planes with 2 RXs to move among them). It's only $45 for a .4 oz dual-conversion RX."

Dean,

Are we looking at the same site? This page:

https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Store

shows the FMA "Extreme 5 Sub-Micro Receiver" for $44.95. That is what I ordered. I hope my CC bill reflects same.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 08:07 PM
Member #1,353,998,583
Milwaukee, WI area
Joined Oct 2002
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaninMilwaukee

Oh, I see- FMA has another 5 ch RX- the "M5 Sub-Micro" right above it which is $69.95.

That one is .3 oz, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay $20 to save .1oz!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:42 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Oops!

Was looking at the wrong rx!

Let us know how you like your fma rx. The price certainly is good.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:46 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Does that price include the receiver Crystal?

-Mike-