SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:00 AM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Discussion
Trouble with Honey Bee MkIII

I am not doing so well. I have balanced the main blades. Balanced the smaller swashblades. Moved the lipo forward to bring cog at swashblade. I just cannot fly this heli. Power up with heli facing away from me and pulls to left as expected. I try and anticpate with a little right input. Not much if any wobble but it is very touchy. Any amount of correction seems like too much. Heli not turning much to left or right. Is there anything I am missing? I assume the sharp part of the swashblades should be pointing down maybe 15-20 degrees from horizontal
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:27 AM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
Paddles should be exactly level with the flybar carrier.
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
That's the nature of the beast!! To try to overcome the hard push to the left, you need to come up quicker and get past the prop wash. I'm still struggling with mine. They say it comes with practice or a ball peen hammer, whichever comes first.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:52 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
What is your heli background so far? This hobby takes time, and if you have never flown anything before or even if you only have done coaxials, you still have a little way to go. Don't despair, just keep with it and it will come.
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
Whats the best first fp heli? I am very comfortable with co-axials. I have a lama, and a walkera 5g6, I love my little 5G6.

Is it better to go with the honeybee fp, or a small heli like the walkera 4#3?

Thanks,

Dan
dhoff002 is offline Find More Posts by dhoff002
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
I do not have much heli experience. Some coaxial. Any particular heli on realflight g4 that would help?
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff002
Whats the best first fp heli? I am very comfortable with co-axials. I have a lama, and a walkera 5g6, I love my little 5G6.

Thanks,

Dan

The hbfp would be more stable and easier to learn on.. and it can be flown outside. i just recieved mine... make SURE to order landing skids and rotor heads!!! like 5 each! Training gear helps to.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
How much wind can it handle outdoors?
cmatychak is offline Find More Posts by cmatychak
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Fixed Pitch helis (and CP's too) are very different from their coax cousins. Coax birds can hover hands off if set up and trimmed properly. FP's will require constant stick action (possibly in multiple directions) to maintain stable flight. This can only come with practice. I am not familiar with G4 flight sim so I can't suggest a particular model for that. I use Clearview and there are a few good FP models for this sim, but I'm sure there are comparable models for the other major sims out there.

A stock FP can handle very light breeze of up to about 5-6mph (in a beginners hands anyway). As you gain experience, you can push the limits a bit, but because the stock bird is still pretty light, it's not much fun fighting the wind outdoors when it is more gusty than that.
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff002

Thanks,

Dan
the HBFP seems to have the most support here on this forum, the smaller you go the harder they are to fly.....The single rotors dont fly anything like a coax, they are much harder to fly. An FP isnt any easier then a CP, just cost a lot less to learn on.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
72 Posts
what about a falcon 40?, is the HBFP a better heli, or is it just better supported, and easier to find spare parts.

I also saw someone mention the compy FP, with a belt driven tail?

if they are about the same difficulty to fly is it better to just get a cheap cp?

Dan
dhoff002 is offline Find More Posts by dhoff002
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
a CP will cost you more in money and down time when learning and most likely will make learning take longer depending on your skill, if you dont mind that and can afford it then get a 450 size heli, it will be a little easier to control then a 300 size.
I dont have experience with the Falcon 40, I dont know how good the electronics are or how parts are to get so I cant comment on that, I got the HBFP myself because of this forum support, ease of parts replacement, and every one said the electronics were really reliable. An FP isnt really easier to fly, they just dont cost as much when they pile into the ground like a CP does, with an FP you usually just straiten the blades and go again, just about every crash in a CP means new parts, set up, down time, etc.
The Compy FP is a higher head speed, belt driven tail heli, it will do better in the wind and you wont need to worry about the tail motor burning out and the head is just as simple as the HBFPs head and some parts are interchangeable.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
Dirt on the Blades
Winchester, Virgina
Joined Apr 2008
30 Posts
tekajo, so good news i had the same issues as you do. i just got my MK3 and it was doing all the same stuff you were talking about. and yes my first heli as well.

with my extreme limited knowlegde of this (or any) heli ill tell you two things that really helped me.

#1 get the skid up grades or find a better way to mount the lipo cause they didnt really change the design to compensate for the dynamics of the lipo batts. so your gonna have to do the engineering for them. a stock HBFP MK3 is gonna need that batt sitting about as far to the nose as possible.

#2 you gotta goose the throtle a little bit and get out of your rotor wash. kinda just hop it around like a bunny for a while... up drop, up drop, correct heading, up drop repeat. once you get about 8 to 16 inches off the ground its 100 fold more stable.

and as i learned from Blade yesterday ... move the fly bar weights in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way towards the hub and its flys like a dream ps i have the fly bar paddles about 3- 5 degrees positive... i just look down then from the side and line the back edge up with the bottom of the paddle ball linkage.

its not easy but its fun give it time hope i could help

and no im not following you around Blade... we just know were all the kewl kids hang out.
Codad $ is offline Find More Posts by Codad $
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
OK beginners, here's the tricks to learning how to hover an HBFP indoors in a relatively small area. The room I learned in is 8 x 9 with a 6.5' ceiling and lots of clutter. Remember, a fixed pitch heli gains altitute by increasing throttle. But, unless you are outdoors or have a nice big area, prop wash and air currents are going to be big factors you will need to deal with. You want to get off the floor with the least air movement as possible.

You can get off the ground at low rpm by using lots of upward pitch on your flybar paddles, about 15 degrees. If your battery is fresh, use main blades that are cut down about 1.5". They won't work for very long, just a few minutes, then swap to your stock blades. The cut down blades have higher head speed, so are more stable, but they don't move as much air.

Always start nose out, keep your tail centered and watch the main blade. You always want to keep it level. The main blade predicts where the heli will go; watching the nose or tail means you are reacting to movement and you are too late.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 15, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
I do not have much heli experience. Some coaxial. Any particular heli on realflight g4 that would help?
I got something that might work for your....

RADD

Follow it to the T and you will be hovering within 10 packs with minimal amount of damage!!
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449