HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2001, 03:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lowestoft
Joined Dec 2001
7 Posts
simulators -great planes G2

Hi to all of you out there.
has anybody ever tried the G2 flight simulator from great planes?
if so, I would like to hear from you to get an honest assessment as to how good they are.
CORNFLAKE is offline Find More Posts by CORNFLAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2001, 08:12 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
G2

I've been flying the G2 for about 6 wks now and consider it a worthwhile investment. I can't say how close it is to real as it will be a couple of days yet before my first airplane in 25 years is ready to fly. I have 100s of hours of stick time on the ground and the pond but still found myself dumping it in on approch by using the wrong alieron control. The sim has been a great aid in building the automatic reflexes on the sticks. You don't want to have to think about what your doing with the tx you want to concentrate on the airplane.
G2 does require a good computer. My P2 400 with 16 meg ATI card requires the use of the photo background and some details turned off to fly smoothly.
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Dec 30, 2001, 05:38 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
I have it too and I think that it is a great learning/refining tool. It's also great for practising aerobatics (cheaper, if you catch my drift ). The graphics are amazing and, although I own none of the planes, they fly exactly like I would 'think' they fly. Make sure you turn landings to 'Realistic' in the options menu, though, or else you'd be cheating!

HOWEVER it is no substitute for a real instructor. With the help of a local club and a 'buddy box' cable, learning is made infinitely easier, and also more enjoyable because you are with people interested in the same thing as you.

You will need a good PC, or there is no point in getting the G2 version. I have an Athlon 750 with 512 MB of RAM and an nVidia Riva TNT2 32 MB graphics card, and I still have to have trees turned off!

Overall a great package, and I think, worth the premium price because of the stunning graphics and realism.

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Dec 30, 2001, 07:44 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Dec 2001
26 Posts
Orientation is a problem and always will be until we all have 360 degree monitors. You can't always see the plane, the ground and the peripheral objects that you need for situational awareness. G2 does have lots of neat "gadgets" to help in this respect, but the limited field of view is crippling.

I bought the G2 simulator specifically to learn the helicopters. I think it works a lot better for helicopters than planes, because you're not typically using up such a huge amount of sky, and it's much easier to keep oriented. It's excellent for helicopters. The graphics, physics & controls are all great.

You could try the free FMS simulator first at:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/

It's not really in the same class, but it's pretty good for planes, though less so for helicopters. If you like the feel you could upgrade to G2.
dxed is offline Find More Posts by dxed
Old Dec 30, 2001, 11:17 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Dxed has some good points there. Flying low to the ground is almost essential, in order to keep the horizon and the other key 'orientators' in check. The sailplanes are virtually useless for this reason. Another annoying thing is wind. To fly in it consistently on a simulator is very hard as you have no physical sensation of its direction or strength.

Realise these limitations before buying to avoid disappointment - we'll just have to wait until we have 360 degree displays and 'Surround Wind Environmental Immersers' .

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lowestoft
Joined Dec 2001
7 Posts
simulators-great planes G2

Thankyou
Ben C. dxed & pmpjohn for allyour replys.
Your replys seem to have answered my questions about the realism and the graphics of the simulator
The reason i asked is that sometime ago i had a simultor made in the U/K and in a word it was pathetic, so i am abit wary of getting another one
My compter should be fine.
So thankyou for helping me, i have decided to purchase one in the new year.
CORNFLAKE
CORNFLAKE is offline Find More Posts by CORNFLAKE