HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:31 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
628 Posts
Help!
Trimming the Tidewater

Took my new Tidewater out for maiden flights at my local park after work-- had the pond to myself, with no wind to speak of. An excellent day for first flights.

The model is balanced at the middle of the CG range, maybe a tiny bit nose heavy just to be safe.

When flown, I had to hold up elevator the entire flight, through pretty much the entire speed range-- if I released the stick the plane immediately nosed down into a 30 degree dive. I dialed in a lot of up trim, and it helped some.

I can adjust the pushrod, deflecting the elevator up about 3/16 of an inch, to allow me to center the trim-- but that just looks wrong for the plane to have so much up trim at rest.

So I'm wondering-- did anyone else need a lot of up trim to get the plane to fly level at about 60% throttle? Or is it possible that the CG is off, and the plane is seriously nose heavy?

I'm not a trimming expert-- appreciate any advice...
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Move the battery to the rear a little at a time until it flies the way you want it to. The elevator on mine is very slightly trimmed up. The stock CG was WAY too nose heavy. BTW it's not uncommon for these Chinese models suggested CGs to be WAY off. Just slide it back a little at a time, you will know when you are done.

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Last edited by pookielips1954; Sep 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:53 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
628 Posts
Since posting this, I've flown my plane on its maiden flight and a dozen or so more. I've found that, balanced per the manual, my plane was very nose heavy. Anytime I let the elevator go to neutral, the plane would immediately nose over into a 30-40 degree dive. (Funny that no reviewer mentioned this!)

I'm still fine tuning the trim-- currently I've got the CG about 1cm farther back, and I still have to dial in a bunch of up trim to keep it level.... Out side of that, the plane is still very docile, with a very forgiving stall. A couple of times I slowed down too much on landing, and ran out of lift about 2 feet off the water. The plane didn't snap roll or anything-- it just sort of fell out of the sky and belly flopped onto the water.

I'm still carrying about 1/8" of an inch up trim,and I think I either need a little more, or need to move the CG back a little more.

Fortunately the weather here in eastern Massachusetts has been fabulous-- I am able to stop by the local park on my way home from work nearly every night and get in a couple flights on the big pond in 0-3 mph winds! Forecast says I can expect at least 2 more days of this.....
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:06 PM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
149 Posts
Well, I have had the same experience. I flew mine this last weekend and had a helluva time just getting it off the water. I ended up with about 10 degrees of up elevator to get it to fly level at about half throttle. This is after moving the battery back about 3/4" from where it was properly (per the manual) balanced. I also think that there is too much down thrust fom the pylon mounted motor. I'm thinking of shimming the motor or the pylon to try and correct this. I'll let you know if I do and what the results are.
rammon3 is online now Find More Posts by rammon3