SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,279 Posts
Discussion
OK, I'm thinking of getting a multi-rotor.

Been flying planes for about 1 1/2 years. Not long I know. I have 10 planes of various sizes.

I'm wondering how difficult multirotors are to fly? It seems that once you get them dialed in they're pretty simple to fly.

The thought of FPV intrigues me.

One thing that has really stumped me is how do they navigate. Does the onboard mother board tell the motors on one side to slow down and the ones on the other speed up to turn?

Should I get a kit like an F550 or such?

Anyway thanks for any advise.

CW
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:45 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
You mean yaw?

In a quad two motors, across from each other diagonally, are spinning the opposite direction of the other two. Speed one set up and slow the other down and the lift stays the same but you have a difference in torque on the arms they're mounted on. That difference causes the craft to yaw. If you sped up one side and slowed the other, as you suggested, the thing would just flip over.

The worst part of piloting LOS is that they are symetrical. Without lights it's hard to tell which end is the front at a distance. Add to that the fact that they'll be just as happy to fly backwards as forwards and it complicates it even more. It's not like a plane where you can look at the direction it's moving and work out which end is the front...

As far as an F550... for me that path was a mistake. I went Blade mQX -> F450 -> cheap wooden tricopter. My 4th take off with the F450 had it sailing towards some metal railing, barely managed to stop it in time. It's too expensive for my skill level, enter the cheap wooden tri to beat around. With some experience like you have, I don't know, up to you. I would suggest not getting something off the shelf RTF. The F450 came as a kit with frame, motors, esc's and props. I still had to assemble, wire, install RX, FC, camera & vid TX, and tune a bit. That's enough to get you to the point that you can fix what you break, and you will break things.

Also, you can FPV your planes. Plenty of people doing that.
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,279 Posts
Thanks RuralFPV.

I agree a kit would be the way to go. I like building anyway and the knowledge helps when it comes time for repairs.

It looks like you can put one together fairly reasonable using HobbyKing. Of course I would take a chance on the quality, but I do that with plane gear anyway.

Just testing the waters. Always looking for something new.

CW
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe