HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,057 Posts
It's just great that we have all these choices. Chev,Ford, or Dodge. I have the lipo in the DX8.Pretty well thought out with the charger built into the trans, Shuts the power off when it reaches a certain voltage if you leave it turned on. Takes about 4 hrs to charge after at least a month and a half use. Sort of a non event.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Bottom line is that most of us don't have a problem with using lipo in a Tx that is designed for them. It's the kludges to use one in a Tx that was never intended to use anything but Nixx that drives us nuts.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:14 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
I couldn't agree more
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
223 Posts
Hey, if it's good enough for Boeing . . . . .
iwlf is online now Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:42 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Bottom line is that most of us don't have a problem with using lipo in a Tx that is designed for them. It's the kludges to use one in a Tx that was never intended to use anything but Nixx that drives us nuts.

mw
...and then complain when they fry the transmitter.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:54 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
That too.

mw
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:41 AM
South Africa, GP, Centurion
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic View Post
I have seen this, but is 4 years old, capacities have increased since then, apart from many other changes and tech progress.

Thanks to all that chipped in here to give us a new perspective!

Randmental
randmental is offline Find More Posts by randmental
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
They don't know any better.

For transmitters that require 8 AA cells, a lipoly can be cheaper and will also be lighter. For me, they're not worth the hassle and I use AA Eneloops in all of my transmitters as I find them far less risky and more convenient.

Mark

+1

The stock batteries last for quite a few years and the ones on my transmitters give 3-5 hours of on time. I think that the vast majority uses the stock battery.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,380 Posts
Guess it depends on the TX. I have a DX8 and changed to the Lipo, IIRC it has twice the MAH, fits in the battery compartment fine, doesn't self discharge and charges in the TX, doesn't overcharge like the stock NIMH did and don't charge as often.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post

mw
I've been using 2500 mahr lipos in my hitec Ecllipse 7 for about 6 years now with a pair of diodes to drop the voltage to about the same as the transmitter would have with 8S nicads. At the time I installed them, eneloops were not in common use, and I've had zero problems. Why does that drives you nuts?

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Now that Eneloops and other lsd cells are readily available, lipo kludges are unnecessary for transmitters that are not designed for them. It's called jury-rigging. I know....we modelers are famous for it but this is an area where a failed kludge costs $$ or damage to equipment.

If your kludge works, good for you. Not for me however.

mw
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,721 Posts
There was no mention of eneloops at RCGroups until November of 2005, which was about 6 months after I put a Lipo pack in my transmitter. Yes, I could go through the hassles and expense to fix something that ain't broke but I really don't see the point.

To answer the question posed by the OP, I can't charge in my transmitter through the charging jack because the charging jack has been shorted for many years. With the Lipo, I can charge through the balance port without removing the battery from the radio using the same charger I use for my flight lipos in about an hour. As far as I can tell, the only down side to using Lipos in my transmitter is that it makes Mark nuts.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
My buddies would simply find it amusing.

Hey...if it works for you and you're getting in some flight time, who gives a ? Right?

mw (nuts long before Eneloops and lipos in transmitters)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randmental View Post
Hi Guys

What do I miss - everyone seems to go to Lipo's for their TX/Controllers.

I have been using 4 x AA (2450mAh NiMh) and they have double the power capacity (Wh) than a 7.4V 2s 800mAh lipo that I can fit in that same space.

Even if the Controller can take a 11V / 3S lipo the max physical size drops the mAh capacity and thus the Wh, to way less than 4 x AA

Any ideas?
I believe it's mostly to do with our species and "If I can do it, I will" ... whether better or not. I also believe that human nature has a trait that a) the item is the best thing since sliced bread, or b) worst nightmare ever. Very rarely do you hear a middle road comment.

People convince themselves and tell others about the great car / Tx / model they have etc. - justifying it in their mind because they spent money / time on it. Human nature.

The LiPo argument falls into that IMHO ... it really when you compare mAh's, convenience charging, costs ... has no true benefit. My NiMH at 2300mAh capacity will give same use time, same performance as any 2300mAh LiPo in the Tx ... I have NiMH that do not self-discharge at the daft rates that some claim .. according to my mate at M******* - who make the worlds #1 cells - LSD is now common across most manufacturers and no need to buy specially .. sio I get over 9hrs capability and months shelf life .. along with simple charger needs.

No-one yet has posted on any forum I read, any thread on this subject ... no-one has posted any real factual proven benefit to use of LiPo in a Tx. But I have read one report online many moons ago ... unfortunately I'm having trouble finding the post in another forum - it's so old a post i think it's been deleted ... Of a Tx being destroyed by error charging and the LiPo doing it's "I don't like this - I'm gonna smoke !" trick.

Me - I'm happy with my Grundig NiMH and 9hrs capability ... and $10 price ... over 2yrs and still good as new in 3 Tx's ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthetire View Post
Lost a plane from AA nimh batteries in the spring holder. A soldered pack no problem, but way to many weak connections on a spring type holder with normal cells. I've also had zero problems with a low discharge lipo pack, and being a 2650, the charge holds for a long time. Also had zero problems with my iPad with lipos, iPod, and so on. Carbureted cars were all the rage 30 years ago to��
.. have you seen the connections that LiPo leads attach to under that fancy cover ? I have 4 LiPo's in my den that have leads broken away WITH the flimsy foil contact - no way can you solder it back or repair.
I lost a beautiful scale P51 to an OEM soldered NiCD pack from factory - one cell lost connection.
But I have never lost any model to a battery holder pack of cells.

The nearest I came was with the 9X I bought ... not a radio fault - but the 8 cell holder is extremely tight fit for the AA's and this can lead to poor spring contact. My remedy which works in both 9X I have ... small folded card pieces inserted into the springs to FORCE them and cells to have 100% secure contact.

I make up NiMH packs in holders for my non-electric models ... first I check thoroughly contacts, then wrap in self-amalgamating tape to ensure no cell movement and also to prevent load on lead contacts. Those packs survive World War 3 with my use and no problems what-soever.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife