HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know what happened to Purbeck Sailplanes?

Just had a blast from the past remembering a few models of a few years ago.

Anyone remember the Purbeck Graffiti? IIRC about 2.5m, triple taper, t-tail job, rather nifty looking. I think Silent Flight magazine did a competition to win one for designing a colour scheme?

Oh, found a picture (not mine, apologies for hotlinking if thats a problem)

Anyway, Purbeck did a few nice things like the Graffiti and the Adrenaline, so anyone know what happened to them? I'm guessing they went bust?

Cheers

Matt
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:16 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Yep I think they packed in around 2000, which was a real shame because they had some slinky models in their range and their 1/4 scale ASW27 was very popular.

I don't know for sure what happened but there was talk that developing their ambitious 1/3 scale Fox overstretched their business, and also they may have suffered the sort of health issues that go with GRP manufacturing.

You still see the odd one come up on BMFA classifieds so keep 'em peeled.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Joined Nov 2008
189 Posts
I bought the last 1/3rd scale Fox from Son of the business Rick and it is a fantastic model. A fellow flyer has the ASW and that is superb too.
Usually when Purbeck are mentioned someone claims another manufacturer sued them over copyright on the Fox but the reality is that when Eastern Europe and the Far East started getting into glass models they just couldn't compete on price.

Anyway I am really glad I got the Fox and they sometimes come up for sale at surprisingly low prices (too big and heavy for most people).

Here is a short video of my first aerotow with it recently (I normally slope it).

Fox aerotow 2 (1 min 37 sec)

Simon
swarrans is offline Find More Posts by swarrans
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Nice landing Simon!
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank